PDA

View Full Version : Are there AK's and AR's at gunshows?

HendersonDefense
09-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi,

We have had quite a few requests for us to do a gun show in Southern California. I was wondering if the same type of rifles we sell like the Cetme, Tantal, WASR's and and our AR15's (no grips, mag blocks, etc) are common at the gun shows or are they something that most people just order online and convert themselves?

Also, which gun show is the biggest in Southern California?

Henderson Defense Industries

Frijolito1988
09-30-2008, 11:01 AM
you guys SHOULD definately come theres alot of OLL vendors at the gunshow , and to tell you the truth that is always where the crowd is at

-ammo bros
-j&j armory
-cold war shooters

^^ these guys are ALWAYS crowded with peopl fondeling and drosing rifles, plus with you guy's prices im sure you will get alot ! of sales, hate to say it but most CA oll's friendly ffl's inflate the price a bit :(

are you guys considering the cross roads of the west gunshows ?

I THINK the biggest gun show in socal will be the costa mesa one

JagerTroop
09-30-2008, 11:05 AM
The biggest would probably be the Cow Palace show (Bay Area)

hk-p2000
09-30-2008, 11:06 AM

:iagree: theres one coming in this November.

SJgunguy24
09-30-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not in So Cal but up here in the bay, Cold war will have tons of "Evil the streets will run red with the blood of puppy's and kitten's rifles". Sig 556's ,WASR's ,Lancasters, all the HK clones, AR's galore it's almost like being in another state. Of course all weapons are properlly neutered, I almost picked up a ROMAK 3 they had. No mag lock so the stock had been removed and they will send one when they got them.

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
HDI, yes there are AK' and AR's at Cali's gunshows. Of course they have to be Cali compliant..

like Ferny said, the dealers that sell EBR are always crowded!!! Sometimes you have to wait 30min just to talk to some one. Come down this weekend at Del Mar and have a look and feel..

Josh3239
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
The only shows in CA that I have been too are the Ventura shows. They are a very much a let down compared to you out-of-staters, there is more junk and beef jerky than guns.

However OLLs are slowly catching on and every show there are more and more vendors carrying AR or AK style rifles. CWS's table is ALWAYS packed, ALWAYS. They bring everything froms ARs to HK rifles. Metroshot brings some of their stuff and some other random dealers bring some black rifles every now and then.

You get a lot of idiots and pretend law experts at gun shows so be prepared to be asked stupid questions at the least. I remember one time at the Metroshot table this guy came up to Pat asked if the 10/30 mag was a real 30rd mag. When Pat told him it is actually a 10rd mag in a 30rd body he said he would buy it and convert it to 30rds. Pat pretty much told him to get lost.

tlillard23
09-30-2008, 11:12 AM
.... Sig 556's ,WASR's ,Lancasters, all the HK clones, AR's galore it's almost like being in another state. .....

No, not really. Go to a gun show in almost any other state and they don't care about AR's, Ak's etc. Most of the time it's revolvers, deer guns and jerky. Actually, the gun shows in indiana/ohio have bigger tables of blow guns and ninja/nazi costumes than AR stuff.

scotthmt
09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
if there weren't who would go? I kid I kid

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
HDI, please come support Cali! lol
We will make you rich!!!

Gunaria
09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
The CrossRoads of the West gun shows are the largest GS venues in Cali. Just like others have said, you must make your rifles CA compliant before you and them cross the stateline or else it is a felony transporting them in this stupid state. Hope to see you at one in the future.

Come to think of it, it will be fan-freakin-tastic if you could make it or here in Cali as a vendor at a GS. What that does is bring in more competition, which will lower prices and everybody here loves lower prices. I guarantee you if you showed up at a show with your current prices, you will sell out your inventory in a day.

The only hiccup that I see is transferring them to Cali customers. We will still have to go via a Cali 01FFL (middle man) at the show.

IllTemperedCur
09-30-2008, 11:26 AM
No, not really. Go to a gun show in almost any other state and they don't care about AR's, Ak's etc. Most of the time it's revolvers, deer guns and jerky. Actually, the gun shows in indiana/ohio have bigger tables of blow guns and ninja/nazi costumes than AR stuff.

I was just in Dallas/Ft Worth a few weeks ago for work. There's a big gun show in the DFW area EVERY WEEKEND (google DFW gun show schedules). I went to two (Mesquite and FW), both were really crowded. EBRs were easily, by far the most common firearms, followed quickly by 1911s (LOTS of 38 Supers) and cowboy stuff (SA revolvers and lever actions). Very little junk (jerky, candles etc.)

Frijolito1988
09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
The only shows in CA that I have been too are the Ventura shows. They are a very much a let down compared to you out-of-staters, there is more junk and beef jerky than guns.

However OLLs are slowly catching on and every show there are more and more vendors carrying AR or AK style rifles. CWS's table is ALWAYS packed, ALWAYS. They bring everything froms ARs to HK rifles. Metroshot brings some of their stuff and some other random dealers bring some black rifles every now and then.

You get a lot of idiots and pretend law experts at gun shows so be prepared to be asked stupid questions at the least. I remember one time at the Metroshot table this guy came up to Pat asked if the 10/30 mag was a real 30rd mag. When Pat told him it is actually a 10rd mag in a 30rd body he said he would buy it and convert it to 30rds. Pat pretty much told him to get lost.

Yeah from what ive heard ventura is one of the sucky ones, so i think its fair to say the costa mesa show is the biggest venue with lots of shops

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah from what ive heard ventura is one of the sucky ones, so i think its fair to say the costa mesa show is the biggest venue with lots of shops
Glendale!! now thats the "sucky" one!

Frijolito1988
09-30-2008, 11:52 AM

are they part of the gs of the west ? or independent

apbrian112
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM

haha... yeah, but it's the one i most often frequent since it's literally in my backyard.

with my truck getting 13.5 MPG, most savings are negated if i have to drive to del mar or costa mesa and it'd be cheaper buying from out of state to save on tax.

truthseeker
09-30-2008, 12:04 PM

lol!!

ironcross
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
What about Del mar?, I never been but its still a mission to get there from here. TBH I never been to a gun show, I was told not worth it, others said you can get stuff for cheap... That and Im broke as a joke, Im saving up to finish my first AR lol :D

But why not the more OL Rifles the better sould go and help catch some new wallets hehehe... Once you go Off list you never go back :D

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Ferny, Glendale is not part of the Crossroads..

Ironcross, all gun show here in Cali is only good to get parts and accessories.. and maybe ammo if you find a good deal.

apbrian112
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
are they part of the gs of the west ? or independent

they're not crossroads, but they do have another show in victorville for those that live out in the boonies.

shirow
09-30-2008, 12:39 PM
At the Cal Expo show last year, Sonoma Firearms was there, educating everyone about bullet buttons and prince50s. That's where I caught the OLL bug. =)

They have a show planned for Oct 25-26 by McMann's Roadrunner Productions.

SchooBaka
09-30-2008, 12:58 PM
It definitely put a smile on my face to see OLL's at the last San Jose gunshow I went to.

apbrian112
09-30-2008, 1:09 PM
i definately think that if you did decide to sell at the gunshows in CA you would have no trouble selling everything you brought. as you know there is a premium for items that not every FFL will deal with here in CA, and therefore rightfully charge a premium cus it's really their butts on the line if some uninformed gov't agency (primarily the CADOJ) decides to mess with them.

your prices for your AK's, PSL's, tantal's, etc. would definately shift traffic and money to you guys, especially if consumers such as myself could touch the items before purchasing. many people would rather pay a small premium to touch/see the items they're throwing down money for, rather than save a few bucks buying sight un-seen.
you guys would have the best of both worlds, fantastic prices on hard to obtain items and inventory that people could touch/see before purchase.

here's me hoping to see you guys at a CA gunshow in the near future! :cheers2:

Frijolito1988
09-30-2008, 1:10 PM
i definately think that if you did decide to sell at the gunshows in CA you would have no trouble selling everything you brought. as you know there is a premium for items that not every FFL will deal with here in CA, and therefore rightfully charge a premium cus it's really their butts on the line if some uninformed gov't agency (primarily the CADOJ) decides to mess with them.

your prices for your AK's, PSL's, tantal's, etc. would definately shift traffic and money to you guys, especially if consumers such as myself could touch the items before purchasing. many people would rather pay a small premium to touch/see the items they're throwing down money for, rather than save a few bucks buying sight un-seen.
you guys would have the best of both worlds, fantastic prices on hard to obtain items and inventory that people could touch/see before purchase.

here's me hoping to see you guys at a CA gunshow in the near future! :cheers2:

+1 i guarantee you no other oll vendor can match your prices when it comes to those rifles

Saigon1965
09-30-2008, 2:07 PM
Quoted for posterity -

Cost will rises - Transport, show fees, ect.

+1 i guarantee you no other oll vendor can match your prices when it comes to those rifles

Street Legal
09-30-2008, 2:09 PM
Quoted for posterity -

Cost will rises - Transport, show fees, ect.

:iagree:

PIRATE14
09-30-2008, 2:35 PM
Your biggest obstacle to direct selling in the state of CALI would be the ATF.....

BlackDrop50
09-30-2008, 3:30 PM
Come to a Northern Cali gun show (Cow Palace) and I will be one of your many customers!

aplinker
09-30-2008, 3:31 PM
Find a local FFL who will do the transfers, contact ATF, and come out to Costa Mesa.

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 3:34 PM
Find a local FFL who will do the transfers, contact ATF, and come out to Costa Mesa.
Or Del Mar this weekend. :D

PIRATE14
09-30-2008, 4:37 PM

Pretty sure you can take orders....return to your state and ship to xfer dealer......but maybe you guys know more about this.......:cool:

aplinker
09-30-2008, 4:44 PM
Pretty sure you can take orders....return to your state and ship to xfer dealer......but maybe you guys know more about this.......:cool:

ha ha... not a chance.

You should educate us... ATF doesn't allow FFLs to transport guns across state lines for sale through a transfer dealer?

PIRATE14
09-30-2008, 5:12 PM
ATF doesn't allow FFLs to transport guns across state lines for sale through a transfer dealer?

ATF only allows you to sell guns in the state where that the FFL is issued....

Now you can go to a out of state show take orders and ship them from your state afterwards to a XFER dealer......

OR....ship them to an FFL in the state that gun show will be in......where that FFL logs them into his A&D before the show and you can go and help him sell his guns.....not an easy task....

ATF has hammered the FFLs at gunshows lately....in the past it was faily common to see big FFLs from different parts of the country at big gunshows......NOT anymore....it's all outlined in the ATF regs that they now actively enforce.....

I do know a few things about this issue....

aplinker
09-30-2008, 6:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I figured you'd be the one to know.

I don't really understand why the ATF cares, though. If you're using a transfer dealer who's in state, how does the person who's selling them being from out of state matter? That's beside the point for the OP.

ATF only allows you to sell guns in the state where that the FFL is issued....

Now you can go to a out of state show take orders and ship them from your state afterwards to a XFER dealer......

OR....ship them to an FFL in the state that gun show will be in......where that FFL logs them into his A&D before the show and you can go and help him sell his guns.....not an easy task....

ATF has hammered the FFLs at gunshows lately....in the past it was faily common to see big FFLs from different parts of the country at big gunshows......NOT anymore....it's all outlined in the ATF regs that they now actively enforce.....

I do know a few things about this issue....

HendersonDefense
10-01-2008, 6:58 AM

Our plan is to find a local FFL who will do exactly that. We were told from day one of our license by our examiner that we could not sell our rifles out of our books in ANY state. He was very thorough in explaining this to us but made no mention of a shipping requirment? Is there a clause about how firearms must be transported to California?

ChibiPaw
10-01-2008, 9:51 AM
Might want to stock up on some Monster Man Grips if you're going to do the show.. oh ya. the T nuts would be very helpful. And BTW, you guys are awesome with helping me resolve that issue!

Thanks!

shooterdave
10-01-2008, 1:09 PM
go for it the more the merrier!

AlohaRover
10-01-2008, 1:19 PM
We were told from day one of our license by our examiner that we could not sell our rifles out of our books in ANY state. He was very thorough in explaining this to us but made no mention of a shipping requirment? Is there a clause about how firearms must be transported to California?

Same thing here when I went through the initial process.

It is my understanding the fed law allows you to send firearms to yourself in another state. I don't know about CA though.
So you could ship them to yourself.

I believe as long as everything complies with CA law you may transport them yourself. Just be aware of what ever security requirements they might have. But if you have a locked trailer I believe you would be ok.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-01-2008, 4:31 PM
you guys SHOULD definately come theres alot of OLL vendors at the gunshow , and to tell you the truth that is always where the crowd is at

-ammo bros
-j&j armory
-cold war shooters

^^ these guys are ALWAYS crowded with peopl fondeling and drosing rifles, plus with you guy's prices im sure you will get alot ! of sales, hate to say it but most CA oll's friendly ffl's inflate the price a bit :(

are you guys considering the cross roads of the west gunshows ?

I have tn seena mmo bros at the Cross Roads of the West gun show at Del Mar the last 2 or 3 times ive been there.

There are decent amount of Ar-15's occasional Ak. i always enjoy fingering guns i know i would never own.

radioburning
10-01-2008, 4:55 PM
Considering your prices, you guys would clean up. I would even suggest bringing along some extra employees. EBR tables and Miwall/ammo booths are arguably the most popular ones at the show. +1 for Costa Mesa in SoCal.

ProlificARProspect
10-01-2008, 5:12 PM
If you come I would definitely BUY...