PDA

View Full Version : What is this called and where can I get one?

Ironchef
09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
The screw that goes into the small hole which holds the bolt and spring in the tube? I don't have one and need one. Thanks.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/lronchef/IMG_1980.jpg

Stockton
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Buffer tube retaining pin and spring assembly.
Most...most...of the vendors here that deal with OLL can get you that part.

Frijolito1988
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
yup most oll vendors have them , and they will give little LPK parts for free ..ammo bros gave me a spring for free

Ironchef
09-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Oh, so it's normally something seperate that you buy when buying parts to build your AR? I thought it'd come with the LPK I bought, but it didn't. Didn't come with my buttstock either..just the stock, buffer bolt and spring.

So 10% will have one? Just mil-spec or are there different sizes? This will be for a carbine bolt/spring/stock if that matters.

JagerTroop
09-30-2008, 12:09 PM
DPMS

Buffer Retainer $1.50 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=851&cat=1799)
Buffer Retainer Spring $.75 (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=852&cat=1799)

ETA* these parts are included in the Lower Parts Kit. If you didn't get them, contact the place you bought them from. They will send them out, no problem (I would assume)

nobs11
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh, so it's normally something seperate that you buy when buying parts to build your AR? I thought it'd come with the LPK I bought, but it didn't. Didn't come with my buttstock either..just the stock, buffer bolt and spring.

Should come with your LPK. Which LPK are you using?

ke6guj
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Oh, so it's normally something seperate that you buy when buying parts to build your AR? I thought it'd come with the LPK I bought, but it didn't. .
Should have come with the LPK. Every LPK I've bought has included the buffer retainer and retainer spring.

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 12:12 PM
All LPK should come complete to make the lower functional.

Ironchef
09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Great. My friend and FFL who received it probably lost it since he was checking it out and has a messy desk/room. It was a stag LPK installed into the spike's lower, installed by spike's.

So there's a buffer retainer AND a buffer spring I need?

ohsmily
09-30-2008, 12:30 PM
The screw that goes into the small hole which holds the bolt and spring in the tube? I don't have one and need one. Thanks.

Maybe you just don't know what it looks like. It isn't a screw as you referred to it. It is a post and a spring. Also, it doesn't hold the bolt anywhere. It keeps the buffer and spring and spring in the receiver extension (buffer tube).

Ironchef
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Right, my bad. I meant the buffer (it looks like a bolt with a hex head). But I thought this post screwed down...i see it doesn't..hence the spring beneath it (I assume?). So in order to release the buffer and buffer spring, you'd push down on this post (it's pointed on top and fat at bottom to fit hole, right?), then remove the buffer and buffer spring? I've seen it, just having difficulty remembering what it's called, how it attaches, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. Left a message with Spike's since they sent the LPK installed and without those parts...or so I think!

ohsmily
09-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Right, my bad. I meant the buffer (it looks like a bolt with a hex head). But I thought this post screwed down...i see it doesn't..hence the spring beneath it (I assume?). So in order to release the buffer and buffer spring, you'd push down on this post (it's pointed on top and fat at bottom to fit hole, right?), then remove the buffer and buffer spring? I've seen it, just having difficulty remembering what it's called, how it attaches, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. Left a message with Spike's since they sent the LPK installed and without those parts...or so I think!

The receiver extension (also called the buffer tube) screws into the receiver extension ring (the big threaded protrusion at the back of your lower receiver) and holds the post down via the stepped shelf on the retaining pin/post.

If you still aren't clear on how this goes, take a look at ar15.com and see the assembly instructions for a lower receiver, or, better yet, get together with another CalGunner who is familiar with lower assembly.

Lateralus
09-30-2008, 2:17 PM
You are missing this:

http://i36.tinypic.com/n5ssg7.jpg

This is an extra pair that I can mail to you for free if you want. I got a bunch of extras a while ago and I just give them out to those in need.

cleanguy46
09-30-2008, 3:00 PM
You may also want to invest a few bucks and get an Army or Marine technical manual. It's really a great reference to the complete M-16/AR-15 weapon. Great read and great way to get to know the nomenclature of the black rifles.