PDA

View Full Version : ar15/ 50 bmg?

jamesob
09-29-2008, 9:43 PM
i have a registered 50 bmg built on a 80% ar15 lower.can i put a standard 223 upper on with a detachable mag? i never thought about it until today and was curious if i could since its a registered assault weapon .

leelaw
09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
No.

A registered AW may have a .50BMG upper installed on it, but a registered .50BMG may not have AW features (unless already registered as an AW).

jamesob
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
gotcha thanks..

aplinker
09-30-2008, 1:02 AM
I believe Leelaw is wrong, from what I recall. It's late or I'd spend a few poring over the PC again - and searching.

From what I recall, once you register your .50BMG it's now an assault weapon. It doesn't matter that it was registered during AB50, etc.

tenpercentfirearms
09-30-2008, 5:52 AM
I believe Leelaw is wrong, from what I recall. It's late or I'd spend a few poring over the PC again - and searching.

From what I recall, once you register your .50BMG it's now an assault weapon. It doesn't matter that it was registered during AB50, etc.

This is certainly a gray area, but I did a lot of research on it and I do believe you are a persn exempt and cannot be prosecuted for 12280(a), 12280(b), or 12280(c).

Read more about it here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=71226&highlight=12280%28o%29

jamesob
09-30-2008, 8:25 AM
i was thinking that since it is a regestered assault weapon it didn't matter. i was under the impression that what leelaw was refering to was for registration purposes.

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2008, 1:21 PM
i was thinking that since it is a regestered assault weapon it didn't matter. i was under the impression that what leelaw was refering to was for registration purposes.

My 50s are not "registered assault weapons". They are "registered 50BMG rifles". There is a big difference! If you registered your rifle as a 50BMG rifle under AB50, it could not have been a AW at that time nor can you make it one now. If you registered your rifle as an "AW" back before 2000, then, it's an AW and can have any upper you want on it. BTW, you can still use your lower with a rimfire upper without fear of manufacturing an AW.

mltrading
10-10-2008, 5:02 PM
My 50s are not "registered assault weapons". They are "registered 50BMG rifles". There is a big difference! If you registered your rifle as a 50BMG rifle under AB50, it could not have been a AW at that time nor can you make it one now. If you registered your rifle as an "AW" back before 2000, then, it's an AW and can have any upper you want on it. BTW, you can still use your lower with a rimfire upper without fear of manufacturing an AW.

+1

I have two registered 50BMG receivers: one is DPMS single shot receiver and the other one is Ferret 50 lower half (no mag opening).

Thus, I do not have such confusion.:p

gunrun45
10-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a clarification question on this one...
If you have a registered AW, can you turn it INTO a 50BMG as long as it is a properly registered AM in CA?
I'm thinking of my registered AW AR-15 pistol lower here... Obviously I would configure it as a rifle first so I wouldn't end up with a buffer tube imbedded in my walnut brain :)

aplinker
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I have a clarification question on this one...
If you have a registered AW, can you turn it INTO a 50BMG as long as it is a properly registered AM in CA?
I'm thinking of my registered AW AR-15 pistol lower here... Obviously I would configure it as a rifle first so I wouldn't end up with a buffer tube imbedded in my walnut brain :)

Yes, you could definitely do that.

The problem is that the ATF isn't clear (or is sometimes that it's illegal) on whether you can turn your pistol from a rifle back into a pistol, without creating an SBR.