PDA

View Full Version : 2 noob questions

dboy4ever
09-29-2008, 9:12 PM
Hi guys. I've been reading the board a lot lately, trying to build my own AR. I did a lot of homework, but can't seem to find the answers to 2 questions:

1). I plan to use the BB compliance. When I buy a lower from out-of-state, will an FFL allow the transfer, even when the lower doesn't have BB installed yet?

2). Only stripped lowers or anything that has a stripped lower as a part have to be transfered through FFL, coorect?

Thank you.

hawk84
09-29-2008, 9:19 PM
Im no expert but as to #1

What I would see if you could do is get the lower without the pistol grip/telescoping stock. It would still have a detachable magazine, but without a pistol grip/telescoping stock, it has no "evil" features it is not an "assualt rifle"

You could then install the BB, and go buy a pistol grip, I know they are available for about 5 bucks

as for 2
I believe the lower reciever is all that requires an FFL- once again, not an expert

Saigon1965
09-29-2008, 9:21 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes, reciever.
3. Buy more parts, build rifle, have fun.

dboy4ever
09-29-2008, 9:24 PM
thank you guys. that was very helpful

Bimmer2
09-29-2008, 9:32 PM
1. Maybe.

Yes, because an FFL can receive a lower without a bullet button, legally.

No, because there are a LOT of FFLs who won't deal with OLLs, period.

Just make sure you ask the FFL first.

2. Yes.

Ben

dboy4ever
09-29-2008, 9:41 PM
1. Maybe.

Yes, because an FFL can receive a lower without a bullet button, legally.

No, because there are a LOT of FFLs who won't deal with OLLs, period.

Just make sure you ask the FFL first.

2. Yes.

Ben

But if the FFL is willing to deal with OLLs, I should make sure the lower he transfers has no pistol grip or collapsible stock, right?

Bimmer2
09-29-2008, 9:58 PM
But if the FFL is willing to deal with OLLs, I should make sure the lower he transfers has no pistol grip or collapsible stock, right?

Probably. AFAIK, this is a "grey" area. You haven't really assembled an illegal rifle 'til you put an upper on it, but that doesn't mean that some cop or DA wouldn't cause you a lot of trouble.

Ben

huck
09-29-2008, 9:59 PM
1. Buy your lower locally. Everything else, you can mail-order right to your house.

2. Yes.

Bimmer2
09-29-2008, 10:10 PM
1. Buy your lower locally.

The OP has probably already figured out that he can get order an OLL from out of state for much less than what they're selling for in CA...

If not, contact AlohaRover, a member here.

Ben

Josh3239
09-29-2008, 10:15 PM
dboy4ever, where in CA are you? Perhaps we can point you to a shop that sells OLLs close to you.

huck
09-30-2008, 8:23 AM
The OP has probably already figured out that he can get order an OLL from out of state for much less than what they're selling for in CA...

If not, contact AlohaRover, a member here.

Ben

I disagree. You can easily get a high-quality lower, locally for $150 out the door. I did and I didn't even shop around.

Even if you get a great deal on a lower through the mail/internet, by the time you pay for shipping and the FFL fees, you aren't saving enough to make it worth while.

stphnman20
09-30-2008, 8:29 AM
I disagree. You can easily get a high-quality lower, locally for $150 out the door. I did and I didn't even shop around.

Even if you get a great deal on a lower through the mail/internet, by the time you pay for shipping and the FFL fees, you aren't saving enough to make it worth while.
I shopped around for a day and got negative feed backs.. So I just went straight to J&J and pick one up..

huck
09-30-2008, 9:01 AM
I shopped around for a day and got negative feed backs.. So I just went straight to J&J and pick one up..

Yes, it depends on where you live.

aplinker
09-30-2008, 3:50 PM
In the general firearms discussion there's a listing of FFLs and whether they will transfer OLLs.

Give us your location and we can recommend someone near you.

Many things are legal, but FFLs are stubborn creatures. It's their business, their rules. Find out before you ship to them.

I also agree a local deal is almost always as good, or better.

Probably. AFAIK, this is a "grey" area. You haven't really assembled an illegal rifle 'til you put an upper on it, but that doesn't mean that some cop or DA wouldn't cause you a lot of trouble.

Ben

It's NOT gray. A lower, without an upper, does not fit the definition of an AW. Period.