PDA

View Full Version : Who's using a Timney or other Match trigger in your OLL ?

Electric Factory
09-29-2008, 6:15 PM
Am wondering how many of you are using a Timney or other AR 'drop-in' trigger in your OLL ? Was it truly drop-in ? Would you spend the money on a Match trigger again if you had it to do over again ?

fairfaxjim
09-29-2008, 6:22 PM
Not a "match" trigger, but I have a RRA 2-stage trigger in one of mine, and it works great.

PIRATE14
09-29-2008, 6:26 PM
They were hammering my timney at the beltfed shoot this wkend.........those mofos..............:43:

Most of my rifles have a RRA or LMT 2 STG......and a few Giesles in the mix....they run good...........

Electric Factory
09-29-2008, 7:02 PM
Not a "match" trigger, but I have a RRA 2-stage trigger in one of mine, and it works great.

Do you love it ? Was it truly 'drop-in', as in no fitting, fixing ?

DedEye
09-29-2008, 7:04 PM
Yup. Timney is truly drop in, all you need to do is tighten the trigger and hammer pins using an allen wrench (in the trigger assembly). The RRA trigger installs just like a standard AR trigger, no fitting required. Not as drop in as the Timney though.

I think the Timney's worth the extra money personally.

ocabj
09-29-2008, 7:17 PM
The Geissele is the best 2-stage out there for SR legal HP competition.

It's simple to install and comes with everything you need for the install short of a punch.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/1075-2/IMG_4463_altered.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/1081-2/IMG_4465.jpg

aplinker
09-29-2008, 7:41 PM
I have RRA Geissele and Timney.

All have their place. All are worth it.

Richy
09-29-2008, 7:42 PM
I love my timney 3lb skeleton trigger, makes bump firing a real easy thing to do :)

fairfaxjim
09-29-2008, 7:55 PM
Do you love it ? Was it truly 'drop-in', as in no fitting, fixing ?

Yup, luv it. No fitting, no fixing, no hassle - just follow the instructions. Replaces the stock trigger/hammer/springs parts. Best price I found was Lan World - www.lanworldinc.com $90 for the RRA 2-stage trigger set, $140 for the RRA lower parts kit w/2-stage trigger.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-29-2008, 9:30 PM
3 Jewel triggers here...

1. Service Rifle for HP competition

2. SpaceGun for HP 'Match' class

3. Varmit rig

Paul
09-29-2008, 9:42 PM
I've got a Jewell trigger in my target rifle. It was one of the first quality triggers out there for the AR back when I bought it. It just drops in with two extra parts IIRC. The thing can be adjusted without completely taking the assembly out. Mine is adjusted to less than 8 ounces and works perfectly fine even at that crazy low setting. Switching to the target rifle after shooting a weapon is a big difference as rather than a pull on the trigger it's a mere tap - or even a light touch. It's very easy to double as the rifle will bounce off your shoulder a-la bump fire. Each trigger tap has to be very deliberate.

cal3gunner
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I have the Timney 3 lb skeleton. It works great and I would buy again. It is drop in but make sure you tighten the allan screws that the directions talk about. I tightened them when I put it in but they loosened after about 1000 rounds and the trigger pin started to walk a little. I tightened them down again and have had no problems since. I should probably just lock tight them.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I have the RRA 2 stage NM in all my OLL's except for my HP Service Rifle and that one wears a Giessele, which is even slicker than the RRA. Wes (TPF) got me started on the RRA 2 stagers back when I first got into OLL AR's, and he said then that I'd never go back to a standard trigger once I'd used the RRA 2 stage NM, and he was right! Neither the RRA nor the Giessele are "drop in," but dang, it's two parts instead of one, and only a couple of pins to be inserted to install one . . . how easy does it need to be??? (Well, yeah, you need to loosen the stock to get slack on the detent spring and pin for the safety/selector switch and move it out of the way, but it ain't brain surgery or rocket science.)

hybridatsun350
09-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Yup, luv it. No fitting, no fixing, no hassle - just follow the instructions. Replaces the stock trigger/hammer/springs parts. Best price I found was Lan World - www.lanworldinc.com $90 for the RRA 2-stage trigger set, $140 for the RRA lower parts kit w/2-stage trigger.

That's where I got mine. Best deal around!:D

cseabass
09-29-2008, 11:22 PM
im running a mccormick single stage and like it.

SDJim
09-30-2008, 7:13 AM
The Geissele is the best 2-stage out there for SR legal HP competition.

It's simple to install and comes with everything you need for the install short of a punch.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/1075-2/IMG_4463_altered.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/1081-2/IMG_4465.jpg
ocabj,

Where did you get those alignment pins? That's the second set of those I've seen and they look really handy for doing trigger installs.

marxdspot
09-30-2008, 7:56 AM
I have 3 lb Timney in my POF build. It is a drop in, however the trigger/hammer pins began rolling. Solved it by using anti-roll pins. I wouldn't take anything less for my builds after having used it. Well worth the money, IMO.

StoneTower
09-30-2008, 8:06 AM
I have 3 lb Timney in my POF build. It is a drop in, however the trigger/hammer pins began rolling. Solved it by using anti-roll pins. I wouldn't take anything less for my builds after having used it. Well worth the money, IMO.

Did you tighten up the allen screws against the bottom of the action? The screws put tension against the trigger & hammer pins so they cannot move. I have a Timney in my AR-10 (Noveske N6) and have never had a problem. If you did tighten the screws, there is something else wrong as I have used many Timney triggers and never had a problem.

ocabj
09-30-2008, 8:08 AM
ocabj,

Where did you get those alignment pins? That's the second set of those I've seen and they look really handy for doing trigger installs.

It came with the Geissele trigger.

gose
09-30-2008, 8:13 AM
My match lower has a single-stage 3lbs JP trigger and my backup match lower has a drop-in JP trigger module.
Very nice and crisp, so I'm happy with them.

Comstock Lode
09-30-2008, 8:15 AM
Like many: Not a "match" trigger, but I have a RRA 2-stage trigger in two of mine, and it works great. Got from Wes.

marxdspot
09-30-2008, 9:45 AM
Did you tighten up the allen screws against the bottom of the action? The screws put tension against the trigger & hammer pins so they cannot move. I have a Timney in my AR-10 (Noveske N6) and have never had a problem. If you did tighten the screws, there is something else wrong as I have used many Timney triggers and never had a problem.

Yes, I tightened it. I have three Timney's and only one of the three holds-fast when tightened after a couple of rounds. I didn't want to use locktite, so I just went ahead a bought the anti-roll pins. It does the job without a doubt. But, thanks for the pointer.

EBR Works
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
RRA 2-stage in one of my lowers and a CMMG 2-stage in another. Both vastly superior to the stock triggers but I personally prefer the CMMG.

StoneTower
09-30-2008, 2:16 PM
Yes, I tightened it. I have three Timney's and only one of the three holds-fast when tightened after a couple of rounds. I didn't want to use locktite, so I just went ahead a bought the anti-roll pins. It does the job without a doubt. But, thanks for the pointer.

You seem to have solved the problem. I would call Timney and see if the threads for the setscrews might be out of spec. They should not loosen up. You could use a very mild locktite like blue. You can even get red off with a soldering iron if needed.

cleanguy46
09-30-2008, 2:23 PM
Just installed a RRA 2 stage trigger in my Stag lower and works excellent!

flyinghi
09-30-2008, 2:39 PM
I have the RRA 2 stage NM in all my OLL's except for my HP Service Rifle and that one wears a Giessele, which is even slicker than the RRA. Wes (TPF) got me started on the RRA 2 stagers back when I first got into OLL AR's, and he said then that I'd never go back to a standard trigger once I'd used the RRA 2 stage NM, and he was right! Neither the RRA nor the Giessele are "drop in," but dang, it's two parts instead of one, and only a couple of pins to be inserted to install one . . . how easy does it need to be??? (Well, yeah, you need to loosen the stock to get slack on the detent spring and pin for the safety/selector switch and move it out of the way, but it ain't brain surgery or rocket science.)

+1:D I too, will never go back to a stock trigger!!

Electric Factory
10-01-2008, 7:35 AM
Where IS the absolute cheapest place to find a Timney trigger, or the best price you've seen ? I'm inclining toward Timney simply because everyone seems to agree it drops right in with the least amount of fidgeting.

marxdspot
10-01-2008, 7:42 AM
Not tricky at all. Al it is is simply swapping out the trigger and hammer. Just remove the trigger and hammer pins, remove the hammer and trigger, replace with the 2 stage NM, and reinstall the pins. Not too bad. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do.

Here's a link that should help. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

DedEye
10-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Where IS the absolute cheapest place to find a Timney trigger, or the best price you've seen ? I'm inclining toward Timney simply because everyone seems to agree it drops right in with the least amount of fidgeting.

ARFcom Equipment Exchange.

None of the other triggers are that hard to install, but I do vote for the Timney myself ;).

edittman1
10-05-2008, 7:07 PM
LANworld FTW.

Electric Factory
10-05-2008, 7:09 PM
What about the Chuck McCormick 3.5lb MATCH 'drop-in' trigger- where can I find one ??

Ballistic043
10-21-2008, 7:11 AM
are there any dangers with any of these custom triggers, lets say being machined improperly and allowing the gun to go on 'happy' mode?

i really want to invest into a 2 stage trigger, and have about 150 to invest. i am torn between the CMMG, LMT and the RRA 2 stage triggers. all are affordable, but which will give me the lighter, crisper pull with most adjustment? can anyone help and make a loose comparison between the two and not just a "i have the XXXX___ trigger, it shoots good" comment?

stphnman20
10-21-2008, 7:27 AM
What about the Chuck McCormick 3.5lb MATCH 'drop-in' trigger- where can I find one ??
Chip McCormick are very nice.. One of my buddies has one and it has a nice feel to it..

Darklyte27
10-21-2008, 8:27 AM

arent you contridicting yourself? honest question,

Isnt all 2 stage triggers a match trigger?

thats why they are 88$+ ? vs the standard lower parts kit that cost 65$ for everything?

Eric_Oh
10-21-2008, 8:51 AM
Just installed a RRA 2 stage trigger in my Stag lower and works excellent!

+1. RRA 2stg is a great bargain. Its not incredibly pricey(especially at LANworld's prices).

Personally, i'm thinking of tryin a cmmg 2stg for my new build. What i'm hoping is that it'll be like an adjustable RRA, perhaps even a little smoother with the brass bushing.

BONECUTTER
10-21-2008, 9:04 AM
Right now two of my rifles have drops in's.

One Chip 4.5lb and one Timney 4lb.

I like them both....both dropped right in. Both are single state. Break clean. The Timney looks fancy. The Chip looks milspec till people shoot it and say "Thats one hell of a trigger job"

The Chip requires anti walk pins. The Timney doesn't.

For two stage I like LMT over RRA. But Im not a t stage fan.

5hundo
10-21-2008, 9:14 AM
I saw one on ebay for my Ruger M77 and was thinking about grabbing it...

Are they worth it?

aplinker
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
are there any dangers with any of these custom triggers, lets say being machined improperly and allowing the gun to go on 'happy' mode?

i really want to invest into a 2 stage trigger, and have about 150 to invest. i am torn between the CMMG, LMT and the RRA 2 stage triggers. all are affordable, but which will give me the lighter, crisper pull with most adjustment? can anyone help and make a loose comparison between the two and not just a "i have the XXXX___ trigger, it shoots good" comment?

There's always the possibility that a trigger or lower could be improperly machined and allow hammer follow, etc. It's not a huge deal, unless you try to sell it or keep it running that way. Pull it, send it back, take care of it.

Safety on a 2-stage is better than a light single stage.

I sure wish the SSA Geissele were available - that would be the top choice at that price point.

RRA NM isn't adjustable, nor is LMT. Both are pretty similar. The LMT is a bit better, but I don't think the $ warrants the difference.

I have no experience with the CMMG - few do at this point, which is a bit of a drawback (all things take time to determine whether they're safe and effective).

If you want to add money, the DMR Geissele would be a good choice.

Army
10-21-2008, 11:39 AM
RR 2 stage in the dedicated .22, and a JARD in the heavy varmint. The JARD is a little tricky to set for safety engagement, but once you figure it out it si easy to repeat.

The JARD dropped right in, but the RR needed a tiny bit of trigger bow shaving. But now it has a bright shiny rib line on each side and looks cool!