PDA

View Full Version : LPK

Crusader
09-29-2008, 3:40 PM
So I searched real quick but didn't find anything specific. I'm going to purchase a LPK fairly soon to start assembling my new lower.

Between Double Star, CMMG, and Stag, does any kit stand above the others in terms of quality/reliability?

Are there other LPKs I should look for instead that run in the same price range ($50-$75)?

BONECUTTER
09-29-2008, 3:47 PM
Stag are oily.....
CMMG's work just fine....
Doublestar gives extra dents/springs for those who are new to building....

I have has small issues with just about every parts kit out there...but thats from building well over 200 rifles between the gun shop and for friends.

sszeto
09-29-2008, 3:50 PM
+1 for CMMG

hybridatsun350
09-29-2008, 3:53 PM
I'd say the three you listed are right in the same category. Actually, all of the standard trigger LPK's are pretty much on the same level. However, you really can't beat the RRA NM LPK. It's a little bit more expensive than your price range, but well worth the few extra bucks.

Gator Monroe
09-29-2008, 3:54 PM
For a Beginner are DPMS good LPK's ?

09-29-2008, 3:55 PM
I agree with hybrid, and +1 on the RRA 2 stage trigger.

joe_sun
09-29-2008, 4:08 PM
G&R tactical. It uses magpul and LMT parts

tenbrook
09-29-2008, 4:09 PM
Stag LPK's are Mil-Spec. Its what Noveske uses if that means anything?

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 4:12 PM
I used RRA 2 staged myself, but +1 on the G&R tactical. It basically took all the best quality parts (in G&R's opinion) and put them together in a nice package. Here's a quick link for ya: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

shark92651
09-29-2008, 7:39 PM
I used RRA 2 staged myself, but +1 on the G&R tactical. It basically took all the best quality parts (in G&R's opinion) and put them together in a nice package. Here's a quick link for ya: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

Other than having an option for a Magpul trigger guard I don't see how this is any different than a Stag, CMMG, or any other basic LPK - other than the extra profit they seem to be tossing in for themselves. The only mention of LMT is in the receiver extension option - not part of the LPK in my opinion. It's nice that you can order it without a trigger group in case you already have one, however.

aplinker
09-29-2008, 7:47 PM
I prefer Armalite then RRA

They tend to be most consistent on having all parts and proper assembly ease

Upgrade the trigger if you can afford it

DRM6000
09-29-2008, 8:03 PM
For a Beginner are DPMS good LPK's ?

they're fine. they're almost all that i use and i've never had any trouble with them. the only reason i use them is that i can get them pretty cheap.

tenpercentfirearms
09-29-2008, 8:36 PM
I like in order RRA 2 Stage NM, RRA standard, Armalite, and then Stag.

I have built hundreds and recommend skipping DPMS and CMMG. Pins are hard to get in, but they work.

tyrist
09-29-2008, 9:22 PM
I have built two rifles with RRA kits and both have been easy to install without any problems. Although on the second one I mixed up the spring which works the bolt release with the spring for the hammer catch.

Crusader
09-29-2008, 10:36 PM
So basically, they're all the same. I'm hearing everyone say everything about CMMG and Stag.

Anybody have any experience with Double Star's LPKs? I only ask because J&J armory sells them.

aplinker
09-30-2008, 1:16 AM
So basically, they're all the same. I'm hearing everyone say everything about CMMG and Stag.

Anybody have any experience with Double Star's LPKs? I only ask because J&J armory sells them.

They're not really all the same. Some have a tendency to miss parts more than others. Some have a tendency to have pins that are more difficult to get in.

Stick to RRA or Armalite if you don't want extra hassle.

If you don't care, buy the cheapest kit you can find.

Bowser
09-30-2008, 1:18 AM
CMMG trigger's have a seam in the middle. I kind of don't like it on mine.

joe_sun
09-30-2008, 6:54 AM
Other than having an option for a Magpul trigger guard I don't see how this is any different than a Stag, CMMG, or any other basic LPK - other than the extra profit they seem to be tossing in for themselves. The only mention of LMT is in the receiver extension option - not part of the LPK in my opinion. It's nice that you can order it without a trigger group in case you already have one, however.

My G&R selector says LMT right on it and I'm pretty sure the bolt catch is marked LMT. There might be others but I didn't look at every single part.

ETA the LMT selector is as nice as Colt on my old Colt AR15. There isn't any slop at all it's just click click. I've had after market selectors that feel like mush.

ETA#2 from all accounts CMMG are made by DPMS so save yourself the cash and get a DPMS if you want to go the cheap route

shark92651
09-30-2008, 9:18 AM
My G&R selector says LMT right on it and I'm pretty sure the bolt catch is marked LMT. There might be others but I didn't look at every single part.

ETA the LMT selector is as nice as Colt on my old Colt AR15. There isn't any slop at all it's just click click. I've had after market selectors that feel like mush.

ETA#2 from all accounts CMMG are made by DPMS so save yourself the cash and get a DPMS if you want to go the cheap route

I'm surprised they don't advertise it as an LMT kit then. I wonder if LMT does not allow it for some reason?

Jicko
09-30-2008, 9:26 AM
So I searched real quick but didn't find anything specific. I'm going to purchase a LPK fairly soon to start assembling my new lower.

Between Double Star, CMMG, and Stag, does any kit stand above the others in terms of quality/reliability?

Are there other LPKs I should look for instead that run in the same price range ($50-$75)?

Get the RRA or Armalite kit.

Even better, get the RRA kit w/ 2-stage-trigger.

You will not regret...

Crusader
09-30-2008, 1:26 PM
I ended up buying a DPMS lpk. All the others were sold out. Oh well, hope it works for me.

Jicko
09-30-2008, 1:33 PM
I ended up buying a DPMS lpk. All the others were sold out. Oh well, hope it works for me.

*sigh*

:20:

Good luck. Why ask, in the first place? :confused:

Crusader
09-30-2008, 1:36 PM
Because I was asking between the options available which was better. Turns out in the end that I only had one option.

aplinker
09-30-2008, 3:59 PM
I'd say more often than not they're fine. If it's your 1st kit you may not even notice the difference.

It's just tendencies are they're one of the worst. When you're building 3 rifles oversized pins that are tough to get it makes a big difference in the assembly going well.

hybridatsun350
09-30-2008, 6:14 PM
It's good that you got a cheap LPK now because you'll be able to appreciate a quality trigger when you buy one. Oh, and you will buy one...:D

joe_sun
09-30-2008, 9:19 PM
I'm surprised they don't advertise it as an LMT kit then. I wonder if LMT does not allow it for some reason?

From what I understand it's not an LMT kit, it just uses certain LMT parts. Grant said he researched for a long time to find out who makes each part in what LPK, got the best of them and put them together into his own kit.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=18289