PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on collapsible stock for a build...

xfilterx
09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm in the middle of an H&K 33 build. Right now everything but the stock is at IGF in Arkansas being built. About a week ago I was about to purchase a stock and I came across a thread that mentioned a collapsible stock being a no no regardless of rifle length and mag lock. I had previously throught that as long as the overall rifle length was 30" with the stock collapsed, that a collapsible stock was fine as long as you have 10 round mags and a bullet button, etc., etc. Can someone please confirm this so I can by my A3 stock and finish my build. Thanks in advance for the advice....

xxdabroxx
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
This is not necessary confirming that this is the case for your H&K build, but thats how it works with the AR's. the only difference i could see is that maybe being that its an import build, you need the US made parts right?

there are a lot of AR style rifles out there with collapsible stocks, BB's, & 10rd mags.

xfilterx
09-29-2008, 2:37 PM
This is not necessary confirming that this is the case for your H&K build, but thats how it works with the AR's. the only difference i could see is that maybe being that its an import build, you need the US made parts right?

there are a lot of AR style rifles out there with collapsible stocks, BB's, & 10rd mags.

That's what I figured I just starting having second thoughts after I saw this post. Just wanted to confirm because the A3 stock is $345 whereas the A2 stock is only $135. Wanted to make sure everything was good before ordering.

Yes, I have the 7 US-made parts to comply with 922r already: flash hider, cocking handle, sear, trigger, hammer, follower, and trigger frame.

Thanks for the confirmation...

aplinker
09-29-2008, 2:55 PM
CA AW law and 922(r) import laws are different.

You're covered with the AW laws if you have a BB and maintain over 30" with the stock collapsed.

Just to make it clear on 922(r)... it doesn't matter how many US parts you have, it only matters how many foreign. The reason you replace with US parts is to get the foreign part down. If the rifle could operate without it (say, a muzzle device) you would legally be the same to remove a foreign one as adding a US one. If you build a non-sporting rifle with any foreign parts, you can't use more than 10 from the list of firearm parts provided by the ATF.

Make sure you have a fixed stock, too. I've found them to be more comfortable on HKs.

xfilterx
09-29-2008, 6:51 PM
Just to make it clear on 922(r)... it doesn't matter how many US parts you have, it only matters how many foreign. The reason you replace with US parts is to get the foreign part down. If the rifle could operate without it (say, a muzzle device) you would legally be the same to remove a foreign one as adding a US one. If you build a non-sporting rifle with any foreign parts, you can't use more than 10 from the list of firearm parts provided by the ATF.

Yeah I understand 922r pretty well now. On the H&K 33 build there are 17 total parts. 10 would be foreign and 7 would be US. Just like my UMP was 13 total parts so 3 were U.S. made: barrel, trigger, and floorplate.

With the stock collapsed and the normal flash hider attached, the total length comes to 29.2 inches. So I'm permanatly attaching a 4 inch flash hider to bring the overall length when collapsed to just over 32 inches.