PDA

View Full Version : AR goes 'click' instead of 'bang'- why ??

Electric Factory
09-29-2008, 11:13 AM
This am at the range I was shooting reloads [ yea I know] in my M4-type AR .223 rifle. Along around the 200th round the I noticed an anomaly- 'click' instead of a 'bang'.
I stripped the rifle and removed the bolt, cleaned everything perfectly, reassembled and in about 11 rnds... 'click' instead of 'bang'. The cartridge cases all show a reasonable firing pin strike indentation on both shot and unfired primer, and my buddy took one of those rounds, chambered it in his own .223 rifle and....'bang'.
Putting aside the likelihood that the reloads are faulty and have bad primers [ I also completely cleaned the bolt] what types of things might cause a 'click' instead of a 'bang' in an AR platform ?

Stockton
09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Real quick things to do:

Forward assist - ensure bolt is completely forward and closed
Check depth of primer strike as compared to your buddies
Check firing pin and bolt assembly are free of debris and obstructions
Type of Lube - heavy grease lube will actually slow or stick firing pin movement

hybridatsun350
09-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I would most certainly look at the ammo first. You say your reloads are from a "fairly reliable" source. What do you want us to think?

"Fairly reliable" doesn't go through my rifles! haha

BigBamBoo
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM

stphnman20
09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Stockton has a good point.. But, I think it's the reloads!

BTW I hope you did a remedial action!

Ballistic043
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
eh, i had the same occurence last week. went to AB and purchased some of their .223 reloads, went to burro and set up. out of 250 rounds down the tube, 3-4 of them would not fire. the click instead of bang, and then i'd cycle the round only to find a light strike on the primer. since this happened on both of my builds (which function 100 percent) i am pretty sure it was the ammo. :P probably improperly seated primers

for anyone contemplating ammo bros reloads, they are generally ok for a fun day of shooting. if your trying to drive tacks, dont even bother. at 100 yd, i couldnt hold an inch without one round straying. not so with the commercial ammo i used of course, which was winchester 45 grain varminter

Electric Factory
09-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Real quick things to do:

Forward assist - ensure bolt is completely forward and closed

Yea, I'm with you which is why the first thing I did was disassemble, scrub and thoroughly clean the bolt and firing pin assembly. There was a little built up carbon/ powder residue around the firing pin but nothing which would account for the experienced anomalies.
To be honest I'm 99.9% certain that the anomolies were/ are directly related to the reloaded ammo. A pity too 'cause the price is definitely right. Having said that 'click' instead of 'bang' sucks, looks like it's back to factory for me. Good thing factory ammo is.... gulp.... choke, gasp.... plentiful and cheap !.:eek::(