PDA

View Full Version : Finished the AR build!

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Finally finished the build. Took a while to scrap some of the parts together, especially the MUR-1a and Noveske OLL. But the wait is over, and it was worth it.

Now on to the pics:
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr2.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr3.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr5.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr6.jpg

Build is as follows:

Lower:
-Noveske Lower Receiver
-RRA 2 Stage Trigger
-KNS Anti-Rotation pins
-Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
-Magpul MIAD pistol grip
-Magpul UBR stock
-Magpul PMG 10/30 (thanks AlohaRover for the excellent How-To writeup!)

Upper:
-VLTOR Mur-1A Upper Receiver
-Troy BUIs
-Young Mfg. Hard Chomed NM Bolt Carrier
-LMT Bolt
-16'' Noveske Recon Barrel
-AAC Blackout Flash Hider
-PRI Gasbuster
-Larue Tactical 12.0 Free Float Handguards
-Larue Tactical FUG
-TangoDown Rail Covers

Optics:
-Aimpoint 3x Magnifier with Larue Tactical QD mount
-Aimpoint CompM4S with Larue Tactical QD mount

stphnman20
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
The pics are not working for me.. But from the list, is sounds pretty damn expensive! lol..

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up, the pictures should be good now

scubamark13
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Thats one sweet rifle!

GenLee
09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow, beautiful build.

Astig Boy
09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Nice! Looks great! I can tell this was a well thought out project. Most people I see on here just buy what ever is cool and through it on their rifle...in the end most look mis-matched. LMAO! :p

stphnman20
09-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I see it now.. awsome!

Olav
09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
You're going to love that Noveske barrel!

How much does the rifle weigh without the mag?

Ballistic043
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
nice build with quality parts. i think i need to start building a GOOD AR. like many admitted on this board, alot of my builds are mediocre and quick for the bang. but most were not thought out in the long run with quality in mind.

but now looking at your build, and many others on this board, i want something that will make people go "oohh.. and ahhh..' :) screw if it takes an extra year; lord knows the rifle will last MANY down the road.

maybe ill wait for the new magpul lowers.. any century now

p.s. why do the magpul trigger guards always turn purple in the pic....

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone! I did try to plan out exactly what I wanted for this build. Some parts were changed along the way but I'm pretty happy with what its become now.

You're going to love that Noveske barrel!

How much does the rifle weigh without the mag?

I've heard nothing but good things about the Noveske barrels. I choose the Recon over the N4s due to accuracy, however the heavier weight is one of the downsides. The barrel is a medium profile and it does put a little more weight out in front, but as far as I've heard, both the recon and the N4s are pretty darn accurate. I tried my best to even out the weight distribution by using the UBR and it gets the job done well. All in all, the rifle without the mag is still a little on the heavy side (good thing I didn't get the vltor VIS!) The m16 service rifle I'm issued seems a little bit lighter. It weighs around the same as the m16 with the m203 attached. I'll let you know on the actual weight later in the afternoon. Thanks for the comments.

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
nice build with quality parts. i think i need to start building a GOOD AR. like many admitted on this board, alot of my builds are mediocre and quick for the bang. but most were not thought out in the long run with quality in mind.

but now looking at your build, and many others on this board, i want something that will make people go "oohh.. and ahhh..' :) screw if it takes an extra year; lord knows the rifle will last MANY down the road.

maybe ill wait for the new magpul lowers.. any century now

p.s. why do the magpul trigger guards always turn purple in the pic....

I hear ya on the Magpul lowers, rofl! Thanks for the kind comments!

As for the Magpul trigger guards... I really have no idea. It looks plenty black to me, but I guess its the lighting or how the camera takes in the light. The tone/shade of black is a little different from the receivers though.

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 4:04 PM
Quick update on the weight of the rifle.. it comes in at 10.2 lbs without the mag. I'd imagine it to be a lot lighter if I were to change it to the N4 barrel/Dlite rail combo. Weight was not a big issue for me, and I am quite satisfied with the balance.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp256/edwordsigh/ebr8.jpg

DULLYJAY
09-29-2008, 4:10 PM
$$$weet !!!

Ballistic043
09-29-2008, 4:19 PM
you didnt want to try a bobro VFG? or you just wanted to keep things in the larue family?

if your like me, your waiting on the new magpul MOE grips. supposedly they are the 2nd gen of the MOE with rubber overmolding

aplinker
09-29-2008, 4:21 PM
Very nice. I think it's good choices, considering what the RECCE is designed to be: an all-around rifle.

You could trim a couple pounds off it without swapping barrels. A lighter, shorter rail (DD 10), a single optic and replacing the UBR with a CTR would drop probably 2#.

Is your barrel IonBond or DuraCoated?

you didnt want to try a bobro VFG? or you just wanted to keep things in the larue family?

if your like me, your waiting on the new magpul MOE grips. supposedly they are the 2nd gen of the MOE with rubber overmolding

LaRue's grip has a few features the Bobro doesn't.

Gator Monroe
09-29-2008, 4:22 PM
I take it your not a Retro AR build kinda guy ?:confused:

edwordsigh
09-29-2008, 5:48 PM

The bobro was considered but I really liked the look of Larue FUG when it first came out. I also liked the fact that it comes with 3 diff. sized extentions. I thought it was very well thought out and versatile. Larue has the reputation for making solid products and with their customer service I was more than happy to purchase the FUG. Also, I was not too excited with the bobro's method of securing the vfg to the handrails, but I have read that many don't have any issues with it.

Very nice. I think it's good choices, considering what the RECCE is designed to be: an all-around rifle.

You could trim a couple pounds off it without swapping barrels. A lighter, shorter rail (DD 10), a single optic and replacing the UBR with a CTR would drop probably 2#.

Is your barrel IonBond or DuraCoated?

Thanks for your comments and insight uclaplinker! I agree on your choices for a lighter rifle, I guess I wasn't too particularly concerned of the weight. Yes, the barrel is IonBonded.

I take it your not a Retro AR build kinda guy ?:confused:
I guess not haha :p

dlouie87
09-30-2008, 1:53 AM
what kind of case is that?

edwordsigh
09-30-2008, 1:56 AM
what kind of case is that?

Hardigg Storm iM3200. It's solid, love the latches.

JohnnyRooks
09-30-2008, 5:21 AM
impressive!!!

cobra198
09-30-2008, 5:48 AM
Wow, that is one awesome build. I would love to do a nice Noveske build one of these days... A bit pricey though!

nikonuser
09-30-2008, 7:21 AM
Top of the line build. Range report next please.

quickcf
09-30-2008, 9:12 AM
Nice. Very nice.