PDA

View Full Version : Super Sniper 10x VS Super Sniper 20x

edittman1
09-29-2008, 8:45 AM
So, I just got off the phone with SWFA.com since I had ordered the Super Sniper 20x from them and it came with the wrong knob.

Fortunately, I got a nice guy there who explained that I could get a replacement knob no problem. Then I guess we got to talking somehow and he explained to me that the 10x would be a more favorable scope to mount on a rifle. It provides better light, better eye relief, and better parallax I believe it was.

Since this is going on my AR30 which I plan to shoot past 1000, he said the experience and ease of use with the 10x would be much better.

I asked him if it "hands down worth exchanging my 20x for the 10x", and he said "Yes".

Anyone have experience with both and have any thoughts?

FMJBT
09-29-2008, 9:56 AM
20X would be okay at 1000, but would really be overkill at shorter ranges. The 10X will still give enough magnification to shoot that far, and will have a wider field of view at that range which is nice to have if using the reticle for holdovers rather than dialing in elevation and windage adjustments. The 20X scope will have shorter eye relief and a smaller exit pupil also, making it more uncomfortable and awkward to use.

edittman1
09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Ok, so is it worth exchanging it for the 10x? Or should I just go with the 20x...?

Stockton
09-29-2008, 10:07 AM
If your plans to shoot at 1k are nothing but still targets while you are benched or prone then stick with your 20x. If you plan on ranging,moving, or multiple target selection out to 1k I suggest the 10x.

edittman1
09-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Ah, excellent point. Didn't really think about what my intended use really was.. That always seems to be the key with optics!

I suppose I will mostly shoot stationary targets and some ranging. So I suppose the 20x should still work great, even with the reduced field of view and the slightly more finicky eye relief.

Thank you Stockton!

rksimple
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Even at extended distances, the mirage at 20x on a nice warm day with your belly on the ground is going to be murder. Get the 10x as the 20 is very limiting. Learn it well to 1k. Shoot a thousand rounds or so at distance. Stretch its legs a bit. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want in a scope and if you need to upgrade. You can sell the 10x in a heartbeat. The 20x...not so much.

edittman1
09-29-2008, 3:43 PM
I ended up exchanging for the 10x. We'll see how it goes.

CSACANNONEER
09-29-2008, 4:12 PM
Even at extended distances, the mirage at 20x on a nice warm day with your belly on the ground is going to be murder. Get the 10x as the 20 is very limiting. Learn it well to 1k. Shoot a thousand rounds or so at distance. Stretch its legs a bit. Then you'll have a better idea of what you want in a scope and if you need to upgrade. You can sell the 10x in a heartbeat. The 20x...not so much.

Or, learn to read the mirage. It will tell you what is happening with the down range conditions better than any windflag can. I've still got a lot to learn about reading mirage but I'm trying to. I'm in no way trying to say that rksimple is wrong, I'm just giving an alternate point of view. In the end, either one will work for you so, it's up to you to decide which will be best for you. BTW, when shooting 1000 yards, I set my NXSs to either 22X or 32X in the middle of August, in the desert, in +110 degree heat and done very well. Last month I shot a 5 9/16" group followed by a 5 1/2" group during a match north of Reno.

rksimple
09-29-2008, 8:02 PM
Or, learn to read the mirage. It will tell you what is happening with the down range conditions better than any windflag can. I've still got a lot to learn about reading mirage but I'm trying to. I'm in no way trying to say that rksimple is wrong, I'm just giving an alternate point of view. In the end, either one will work for you so, it's up to you to decide which will be best for you. BTW, when shooting 1000 yards, I set my NXSs to either 22X or 32X in the middle of August, in the desert, in +110 degree heat and done very well. Last month I shot a 5 9/16" group followed by a 5 1/2" group during a match north of Reno.

I trust mirage much more than the flags...they lie. The fact is your scope doesn't need to be at 20x or above to properly read mirage. I can do it at 10x all day long. Shooting through mirage is just more difficult at higher mags. And when you don't have the option of dialing down, you're stuck. It can be 100 degrees out and you may still not have much mirage. It involves other factors like surface temp, range topography, etc.

Prc329
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
http://www.sightwonders.com/wonders%20optics_013.htm

Spend a little more. Much more bang for your buck if you ask me.

6mmintl
12-12-2008, 6:51 PM
Get the 16x version, best compromise