PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to the range in...

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 3:51 AM
Castro Valley? I think it's by Chabot lake. What rules do I need to follow? Bringing my Bushmaster C15 (BB), 10/30 Pmag, and EOTech 512. Cause I read a post earlier about someone going to a range and there were some rules that some, most, and /or all ranges that have to be followed. So I wanna go there knowing what I can and can't do or bring. Thanks

aplinker
09-29-2008, 4:12 AM
You need to follow the safety rules. :)

Chabot range is very cool and aware of OLLs.

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 4:14 AM
You need to follow the safety rules.

Chabot range is very cool and aware of OLLs.

Oh ok. I guess I'm good then if I bring those there. Ummm... Would they happen to sell rounds there or would I have to provide my own?

FrankG
09-29-2008, 6:10 AM
they do sell some rounds there but probably better to bring your own...

gcvt
09-29-2008, 1:22 PM
Yup, it'd be cheaper to bring ammo with you, but they do sell ammo there.

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 1:45 PM
Yup, it'd be cheaper to bring ammo with you, but they do sell ammo there.
they do sell some rounds there but probably better to bring your own...

Oh ok. Thanks a lot

SJgunguy24
09-29-2008, 2:51 PM
Redwood rd. at the top of the hill. Way back there, check out the 3 gun matches, tactical handgun and carbine shoots.

PJA
09-29-2008, 3:24 PM
They have a website which lists all the rules. (Chabot Gun Club)
Pete

lasereye
09-29-2008, 4:36 PM
I like going on Mondays; nobody there. I've brought AR's , AK's , everything , no problems.

dfletcher
09-29-2008, 4:40 PM
With the exception of a 50 BMG and limiting SKS to 2 rounds, I don't think there are any prohibitions. I regularly shoot there with registered AWs, never been questioned or bothered. If it's legal in CA, it's OK there.

gcvt
09-29-2008, 4:41 PM
Same here...Mondays are the best. Last time I was there on a Monday, there was literally 6 or 7 people there. It was great. And no one even looked at our guns all day long - that was unusual.

JOEKILLA
09-29-2008, 4:45 PM
I like going on Mondays; nobody there. I've brought AR's , AK's , everything , no problems.

I'm gonna have to check them out on Mondays. THX

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 7:40 PM
I stopped by there to check it out and it was closed!!!! Ahahaha... I'm guessing it closes at 5pm. I think imma go tomorrow and shoot. Thanks guys

Mssr. Eleganté
09-29-2008, 7:49 PM
I stopped by there to check it out and it was closed!!!! Ahahaha... I'm guessing it closes at 5pm. I think imma go tomorrow and shoot. Thanks guys

They are only open to the public on Friday through Monday. If you go tomorrow they will be closed.

You should check out their web site...

http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

MB260E
09-29-2008, 7:52 PM
They're very cool about OLL, when I had my P50 the RO kept telling me to just get a BB and stop top loading

BlackDrop50
09-29-2008, 8:33 PM
Chabot is my favorite range. Last time I took a friend there for his birthday, me and the RO were chatting about EBRs and BRD. He also asked me how much I got my Saiga for. All the ROs and staff are very nice and friendly. If you are a newbie they will help you out a lot and offer advice.

MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE RULES!

I also enjoy going there because it is very safe, and if you do something stupid, YOU WILL GET YELLED AT, and the RO will come running over to scold you. Hasn't happened to me, but I see it everytime I go, somebody does something stupid, so again I am glad they are strict on safety.

ghost
09-29-2008, 8:39 PM
elevenbrav0 if youre going this weekend,i`ll be there this sunday.chabot is a good range to go,just dont stop at the bench or pick anything up during the cease fire/target change.

stuntdummy
09-29-2008, 8:44 PM
I went to the Chabot Gun Club for the first time today and really liked it. It is a very relaxing setting and the people in the "control tower" who work there were very friendly and helpful. There were only about 5 people shooting when I got there at 2, so there was plenty of room. I stayed until about 4:30, and had a nice, (curvy) ride out of there. I will be going back soon.

rksimple
09-29-2008, 8:53 PM
Depending on the weather and season, they often call cease fires for deer/turkey on the range. Other than the no double taps on the pistol range and no silhouette targets, it OK.

gcvt
09-29-2008, 9:04 PM
OH! One more thing!

If you take a receipt for a firearm purchased in 2007 or 2008, you shoot for free :D They stamp them so you can't use them again of course, but that's a cool deal...saves you a few bucks that you can put towards gas for that nice curvy road.

Jpach
09-29-2008, 9:08 PM
Why on earth would they limit an SKS to 2 rounds?

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 9:18 PM
Oh. All good info. Thanks. And what time do they close on those days cause I didn't see the time schedule on there. Maybe I just happened to pass it and didn't see it

Ghost. I might go this weekend, might even cancel going to SD this weekend just to shoot. Haven't even shot my baby yet. Ahaha... Hey Ghost, do you "write"? Cause I swear I've seen that name before on a wall. I write too, that's why I'm asking.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-29-2008, 9:22 PM
Why on earth would they limit an SKS to 2 rounds?

2 words... sear failure.. There have been a lot of reported sear failures on SKS's over the past few years along with uncontrolable slamfires resulting in runaway guns...While your SKS may be function 100% and never experience a sear failure or slamfire Chabot is just covering their buts in the interest of safety.... now... having said this.... there is no 2 round restrictions on SKS's used at Chabot during competitions....ie 3 gun, Rifle PPC, Tactical Rifle and once in a leap year.. HighPower.

ghost
09-29-2008, 9:41 PM
Oh. All good info. Thanks. And what time do they close on those days cause I didn't see the time schedule on there. Maybe I just happened to pass it and didn't see it

Ghost. I might go this weekend, might even cancel going to SD this weekend just to shoot. Haven't even shot my baby yet. Ahaha... Hey Ghost, do you "write"? Cause I swear I've seen that name before on a wall. I write too, that's why I'm asking.

i used to "write" not any more,that was my younger days;)
that piece in my signature line is ghost ts crew from ny.

gcvt
09-29-2008, 10:10 PM

http://www.chabotgunclub.com/hours.htm

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh ok Ghost. I just happened to see that name somewhere around here. Idk... But yeah, I might roll through the weekend. But more likely imma go on Friday or Monday.

dwa
09-29-2008, 10:26 PM
whats their policy on steel core?

MB260E
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
No policy on steel core, you're good to go.

dexter9659
09-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I venture to Chabot every Saturday and Sunday. I am sure you will find the club very accommodating for all your OLL and AW needs. I would say safety is the club's #1 concern (as seen in the SKS rule) followed by #2 having fun. Lots of turkeys and deer in the area who love to venture down range; mostly over by range 5b and the shotgun range. I recommend you bring friends as we love new faces on the range!

ElevenBravO
09-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Speaking of friends. I'm the only one of my closest friends that owns a weapon. So if I were to bring some of them, how would that work? Idk... And would they have to bring their own ear-pro and eye-pro?

ldivinag
09-29-2008, 11:16 PM
by any chance you have single hot female friends who would like to learn to shoot????... ;)

only on mondays are 50 cals allowed at chabot...

SJgunguy24
09-29-2008, 11:19 PM
2 words... sear failure.. There have been a lot of reported sear failures on SKS's over the past few years along with uncontrolable slamfires resulting in runaway guns...While your SKS may be function 100% and never experience a sear failure or slamfire Chabot is just covering their buts in the interest of safety.... now... having said this.... there is no 2 round restrictions on SKS's used at Chabot during competitions....ie 3 gun, Rifle PPC, Tactical Rifle and once in a leap year.. HighPower.

???????? sear failure?

Never heard of it. I've heard of slam fire issues do to poor maintaince. Little bits of metal will work into the bolt and seize up the floating firing pin. If there is a sear issue,bubba tried to make a "Fun Gun" Big NO NO

dwa
09-29-2008, 11:32 PM
No policy on steel core, you're good to go.

if they have a seperate pistol range steel core is fine there too? (im assumeing my mil surp 7.62x25 is steel core)