View Full Version : 12" LOP Hogue Stock - Impression?

09-28-2008, 8:10 PM

Does anyone have thoughts or experience with the short 12" Length Of Pull Hogue stocks for either the 870 or Mossberg 500/590 series? The stocks on all of the shotguns I've handled (Benelli, too) feel a bit long.

Did it work for you, or did anyone find it too short?

How easy is installation? Thanks in advance to everyone's input.

09-28-2008, 8:40 PM
12" is too short for a non pistol grip stock. Your thumb will hit you in the nose unless you have a thick tactical vest or clothing on or if you have really short arms. It would be great for a female or a youth.

E. Fudd
09-28-2008, 8:44 PM
It is a tad short without body armor or thick vest.

To avoid your thumb hitting your nose on recoil, avoid wrapping your thumb over the stock. Instead, point it forward on the same side as your trigger finger. Then it's doable while wearing just a regular shirt or jacket.

Otherwise, I'd go for a youth stock with a LOP in the 13 in. range instead.

09-28-2008, 8:48 PM
I stand 5' 5" and works well for me! I also like the gripy rubber on the Hogue, I have the youth model by the way...

10-26-2008, 5:52 PM
I got the 12" stock and it was a little too short. I added a slip-on Kick-Eez recoil pad (size Small, btw) and now it feels perfect. I can add more of the cushioning foam, too, to add more length if needed.

The rubber cobblestone pattern on the Hogue grip portion feels great, and the net effect now is a better fitting stock with lots more padding to soften recoil. I will take this out and try various loads to see how the recoil feels with the Kick-Eez in place.