PDA

View Full Version : ACOG question

double0b
09-28-2008, 7:16 PM
I've been reading all that I can find on the various ACOG models, but wanted to get some direct feedback here on the rifle forum. I was originally looking to purchase one bundled with the Red Dot or Doctor Optics option, but since I'm using a AR-15 with a 16" barrel, am now leaning toward the TA31RCO-M4.

Do any of you use these optics on your rifle? Does the calibration for 16" barrel really make that much difference?

Any favorite reticles?

aplinker
09-28-2008, 7:39 PM
Eye relief is small with the TA01/31 line.

I'd go with a TA11.

I like the BAC, and I like the chevron reticles, like the TA11F. You only lose 0.5X - which is tiny.

leelaw
09-28-2008, 9:13 PM
I use a TA31F. The eye relief isn't an issue - it's a 5.56x45 round, not a .308 that's going to give the gun a bit more recoil.

The calibration isn't hard to adjust to. I currently use my ACOG on a Sig 556.

paladin4415
09-28-2008, 9:23 PM
I'm with Plinker on this one. I like the TA11 a lot more than the TA31.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 9:53 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1512008

I kind of like the last post in that thread. :)

Did you know Leelaw is an anagram for "All ewe" ? ;)

gat
09-29-2008, 2:06 AM
I am very pleased with my TA33-R8. It's small and light weight, BAC works well and it's absolutely crystal clear. You really can't go wrong with any of the ACOG models, and supposedly barrel length calibration is a non issue within same caliber models. As for the TA31RCO-M4, make sure you need (or really want) the extra vertical stadia before you spend the extra cash on that model.

Eye relief is really important to me, so the TA33-R8 and TA11 were the only options. LaRue makes a Doc Optic mount for the TA33 models, so you could theoretically add a Doc Optic later to any of the ACOGs if you felt like BAC wasn't doing it for you.

mrjones98
09-29-2008, 7:06 AM
Another vote for the TA11F. While I wasn't concerned with getting whacked by the TA31 (shorter eye relief), I didn't like close I had to be.

I also ended up with a mini reddot on an angled mount, mounted in front of my ACOG instead of the combined ACOG/Docter. I like keeping everything as compact in and in-line with the bore as possible. Fewer things to stick out and get banged around.

TonyM
09-29-2008, 7:13 AM
I have two of the TA33R8 units and really like them, the eye relief is very nice.

I also have a TA31DOC with the Docter Optic. The eye relief is short, but on a rifle with an adjustable stock I don't have any issues. I might have issue with it on a A2 stock..

Like Lee said, with 5.56 the short eyerelief isn't anything to worry about. You can even get the rubber eyecup and shoot with the optic against your shooting glasses, if you wanted.

hoffman259
09-29-2008, 7:21 AM
I have a TA01NSN and love it. Eye relief is a non-issue with an adjustable stock and adjusting it was straight foward.

I have shot threw someone elses with a TA11 and the extra eye relief was nice.

double0b
09-29-2008, 7:24 AM
Tony M,

How do you like the reticle on the TA31DOC? The photo's that I've seen make it appear that the illuminated center blooms a bit and looses definition?

Chris

I have two of the TA33R8 units and really like them, the eye relief is very nice.

I also have a TA31DOC with the Docter Optic. The eye relief is short, but on a rifle with an adjustable stock I don't have any issues. I might have issue with it on a A2 stock..

Like Lee said, with 5.56 the short eyerelief isn't anything to worry about. You can even get the rubber eyecup and shoot with the optic against your shooting glasses, if you wanted.

RoyBatty
09-29-2008, 7:41 AM
I have a TA31F...I love this scope..I have engaged and hit targets out to 300+ yards...

Eye relief is not an issue and this is a very rugged scope..

Another cool thing about ACOGs is that they all have bible verses about light on them, in the model description...mine has John 8:12-When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Jeffy
09-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I too have a TA31F and have no issues with the optic.

Eye-relief isn't an issue.

BAC will take some practice to get used to it.

If I was going to buy one today, I'd probably go with the TA31RCO M150CP, which is the Army version with the flip-up covers.

http://www.nightvisionsales.com/images/Trijicon/M150CPweb.jpg

Adonlude
09-29-2008, 2:45 PM
I had the same questions and went with the TA33R-8 and I love it. I initially wanted the TA11F which is 3.5x with a greater FOV which made it fairly large. I finally went with the 3x TA33 series becuase it was small, light weight, has good eye relief, and is several hundred dollars cheaper. The only sacrafice is a much smaller FOV which I have not found to be a problem. Here it is on my Noveske N4: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=93368

double0b
09-30-2008, 5:11 PM
Ended up ordering a TA11F along with a LaRue QR mount. Thanks for all of the input everyone! It will hopefully be here by the end of the week.