PDA

View Full Version : What new toy should I get? GSG-5, WASR-10, What else???

sierradump
09-28-2008, 7:52 PM
So I just bought the last pieces for my AR15 build (stock/buffer tube etc...) and I already have an itch to get a new toy to take to the range...

I have seen some people getting the GSG-5 rifles and a few CA AK's... Just wondering if anyone could point out any other fun rifles for the range?

I have an SKS so I could upgrade to an AK? Found a WASR-10 for $400... Also found the GSG-5 for $499. AK would cost more to shoot, the GSG-5 uses cheap .22LR ammo and gets good reviews...

BUT WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE? I like the evil looking rifles!

Sig357
09-28-2008, 7:55 PM
How about a PTR91 or FAL? Or maybe a AR pistol in 9mm.:D

Crusader
09-28-2008, 7:56 PM
I'd get an M1A or an M14. Good rifles, and fun to shoot at any range. FAL would be my second choice.

jksupplyco
09-28-2008, 8:03 PM
Robinson XCR

HK USC

FS2000

stphnman20
09-28-2008, 8:07 PM
You could get me a Saiga! lol

DrunkSkunk
09-28-2008, 8:14 PM
I like the evil looking rifles!

Nothing more evil that a Saiga 12 :43:

edward
09-28-2008, 9:08 PM
Originally Posted by sierradump
I like the evil looking rifles!

Nothing more evil that an Saiga 12 AK 103

Fixed it for you :D. He asked for rifles ;).

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/eds280/AK103.jpg

aplinker
09-28-2008, 9:18 PM
AR has a million different configurations (pistols, calibers, 22lr)

sub-guns
UZI
HK94 clone
USC
PS90

rifles
FS2000
SIG556
MSAR STG
PTR91 or 93
FAL
Saiga
AR10
AK47/74/RPK/SVD
SCAR
XCR
M96
ACR

What isn't out there? So many guns, so little time.

Gator Monroe
09-28-2008, 9:28 PM
WASR 22 (PG & Detachable mags ok in Ca.) $300.00 DD's Ranch LLC (New York)

offrdmania
09-28-2008, 9:57 PM
I second the WASR 22. That one is next on my list

Frijolito1988
09-28-2008, 9:59 PM
Have you though about a polish tantal ? or ak74 its evil and very booty ful and shoots 5.45x39 which is the cheapest assault weapon cartridge you can find 1080 rounds for about $130 shipped and could be found for less lol

DrunkSkunk
09-28-2008, 9:59 PM
Fixed it for you :D. He asked for rifles ;).

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h135/eds280/AK103.jpg

title says he's asking what new TOY to get

wink wink wink

sierradump
09-28-2008, 10:27 PM
What isn't out there? So many guns, so little time.

This about sums it up:D

I actually have another ar15 lower... I went cheap with the first one (iron sights, basic/classic carbine) just to see what I want/need on my second one...

I was kind of thinking going with something different than an AR for my next build...

I like the UZI you mentioned above, saw someone else here that built one with an 18" barrel while searching... Kind of looked silly with the huge barrel, but still plenty of fun!!!

QUESTION:

I have a parts kit for a Cobray M11 in .380 that was purchased WAY BACK IN 1994! I actually got it for my 15th birthday but Mom took it away before I could build it and gave me a BB Gun instead; Understandably so...

I JUST FOUND IT WHEN I WAS CLEANING OUT THE ATTIC THOUGH! Packed neatly in the bag of grease AND with the original AD from the shotgun news paper ad!!! (you know those ads in the back of the magazine!)

It is a cool kit, like a jigsaw puzzle with all the lower receiver parts... Upper and trigger assembly are just regular parts kits. Would it be possible to build this?

I am still kind of learning the pistol rules... I assume the rules are probably similar to the UZI build rules (from the 18" Uzi thread?) instead of the AK pistol build threads since the pistol takes magazines in the handguard...

What are the basic rules for a build such as this. The barrel is threaded, and it takes detachable 32rd magazines (of which I have 4! and they are true pre-ban back from 1994!) Would I be able to use the original 32rd magazines?

THIS WOULD LOOK RIDICULOUS WITH A 16" BARREL, So I am hoping there is a way to build it in it's original configuration... It is actually pretty small, I'd say the receiver/uppre are about the same size as a Glock G17...

Not asking to be spoonfed on exactly how to build it - just the basic pistol rules if I ever choose to go through with this build! I'll use the search function from there...

Thanks for the inspiration.

(also checking out a few of the other suggestions above... I already own the kit so might hang on to it for a winter project...)

aplinker
09-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Build the M11 without a stock (or means to easily attach or weld it closed) and remove the threads from the barrel and you're good to go.

There are others who have done this...

AJAX22 comes to mind. Do a search on "mac"

Carbine builds with 16" barrels look fine with fake cans... like this:
http://www.eastcoastfirearms.com/images/gallery/MP5%20CARBINE%20WITH%20FAKE%20SUPPRESSOR.jpg

This about sums it up:D

I actually have another ar15 lower... I went cheap with the first one (iron sights, basic/classic carbine) just to see what I want/need on my second one...

I was kind of thinking going with something different than an AR for my next build...

I like the UZI you mentioned above, saw someone else here that built one with an 18" barrel while searching... Kind of looked silly with the huge barrel, but still plenty of fun!!!

QUESTION:

I have a parts kit for a Cobray M11 in .380 that was purchased WAY BACK IN 1994! I actually got it for my 15th birthday but Mom took it away before I could build it and gave me a BB Gun instead; Understandably so...

I JUST FOUND IT WHEN I WAS CLEANING OUT THE ATTIC THOUGH! Packed neatly in the bag of grease AND with the original AD from the shotgun news paper ad!!! (you know those ads in the back of the magazine!)

It is a cool kit, like a jigsaw puzzle with all the lower receiver parts... Upper and trigger assembly are just regular parts kits. Would it be possible to build this?

I am still kind of learning the pistol rules... I assume the rules are probably similar to the UZI build rules (from the 18" Uzi thread?) instead of the AK pistol build threads since the pistol takes magazines in the handguard...

What are the basic rules for a build such as this. The barrel is threaded, and it takes detachable 32rd magazines (of which I have 4! and they are true pre-ban back from 1994!) Would I be able to use the original 32rd magazines?

THIS WOULD LOOK RIDICULOUS WITH A 16" BARREL, So I am hoping there is a way to build it in it's original configuration... It is actually pretty small, I'd say the receiver/uppre are about the same size as a Glock G17...

Not asking to be spoonfed on exactly how to build it - just the basic pistol rules if I ever choose to go through with this build! I'll use the search function from there...

Thanks for the inspiration.

(also checking out a few of the other suggestions above... I already own the kit so might hang on to it for a winter project...)

sierradump
09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
10-4 I found the build that AJAXX did after I posted that... Dorry - should of searched first before asking...

Looks like he milled off the threads with a lathe... I suppose I could do the same.

I think I will hold off on the project for a while. IT IS REALLY NEAT THOUGH! Its the .380 ACP(?) version - so its not officially an M11 I think they call it an M12... Sorry for confusion but its been a while since I actually looked at it!

I think I am going to go with the WASR-10 AND maybe a GSG-5...

Want to get my hands on all the toys I can before the election (never know what kind of crazy stuff might happen afterwards!)

Any particular CA friendly vendors for a WASR-10? (someone who will yank the pistol grip and possibly swap the 30rd for a 10/30 or a 10?)

sigsauer887
09-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Get a XCR, you will be happy.

InsightsBest
09-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I own a GSG-5 it is a great piece of hardware!! Its built stong and is a very good platform to fab mods on i would go with that!! iv put 3000 rds down mine with no malfunctions and it is suprisingly accurate with just iron sights. as for the wasr-10 i havent had the chance to shoot one, but i have seen them on my range i just think the GSG looks a little more evil:gunsmilie: