View Full Version : Has anyone joined the VFW

09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
i just joined the VFW does anyone know how they are, Is this a cool thing or should i stay away, haven't gone there yet the first day is 10-01-08, just wondering if any has any info

09-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I joined years ago. I'm a life member, but really just a name on the list. I'm not a big drinker anymore, and have no interest in bingo. So I don't spend much time there. But it's a nice place to stop in for lunch, or a beer, now and then.

There are some good programs to help each other out. For example, my post has a program where people volunteer to drive patients to the VA hospitals in Prescott and Phoenix using vans provided by, I think the VA.

09-28-2008, 1:00 PM
Im a member, but I dont actively participate in anything. Mainly because I am in Iraq, and then when I am home I am usually out spending time with the kiddos and wife.

Nice thing is that when traveling you always have somewhere to stop in and grab a bite to eat / drink of choice pretty much anywhere. I am only 25 so when ever I stop into one I like to ask the older gents for 'life' advice.

09-28-2008, 1:26 PM
I've been a member for quite some time. I held my retirement ceremony at the VFW in Imperial Beach. I like hanging around with all the old vets and listening to their stories. There's one down the street from where I live now. When I get a chance, I'll go down there and cook breakfast for everyone.

09-28-2008, 1:30 PM
i have not joined since i came home. it's not on my list of priorities i guess. the VA calls me often.

09-29-2008, 1:06 AM
I don't qualify for membership,I suppose I should join the AM eventually.

10-07-2008, 5:59 PM
I highly recommed it.

You aren't obligated to participate, and both the VFW and the AL do lobby on your behalf at all times.

At the very least, if you're a member there will always be a place you can go to be with others that have a basic understanding of your experiences. You might even make friends.

10-07-2008, 7:23 PM
I'm not a vet, but my dad was in Vietnam.

I pretty much grew up in the VFW in Capitola. It was hard for my dad in some ways, but overall was very beneficial.

10-09-2008, 9:16 AM
Life member. Need a place to vent, with people that know exactly what you've been through? VFW.

Think you had it ****ty in your war? You will soon meet someone that made your tour look like a cakewalk.

Greatest bunch of real Veterans you could hope to be associated with.

Not to mention, they are a very powerful lobby for Vets rights in Washington.

11-20-2008, 1:01 AM
I am part of the VFW. Last time I was in one was my cousins wedding. They rented out the floor for the wedding, but the bar in the back was open. Needless to say, I don't remember much of the wedding. Just remember the bar and Long Islands were $2.50.

11-20-2008, 1:27 AM
Greatest bunch of real Veterans you could hope to be associated with.

What are fake veterans:confused:

11-20-2008, 6:53 PM
I am a member of the North Highlands post but i havent been in like 2 years:(

11-20-2008, 7:14 PM
i went for the first time on tuesday i had lunch there

11-20-2008, 7:24 PM
I go to the one in Antelope, cheap beer, cheap pool, nice people. Best bar in sacramento.

12-05-2008, 7:41 PM
I go to the one in Antelope, cheap beer, cheap pool, nice people. Best bar in sacramento.

Interesting that you mention that. I was just there the other day speaking to someone about renewing my membership. Looks like a friendly place.