PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on 16" Varment uppers

unusedusername
09-28-2008, 1:03 AM
Hello All,

I'm thinking about using a 16" varment style upper for an AR build, but I'm not finding too much information out there on them.

I know that Rock River makes one (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270), and DMPS has one as well (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1056).

Does anyone here have first hand experience with these? What kind of accuracy would one expect from these? I'll probably be using it mostly while standing at less then 100 yards....

Thanks!

technique
09-28-2008, 1:34 AM
I have use DPMS 16in heavy barrels before, one stainless the other fluted black teflon. Worked fine but I only used them for a short time.

I would normally stay clear of DPMS and recommend the same to you.

You can have various companies such as Krieger send one to you. That would give a quality barrel that will last a long time.

You may also want to contact M24armorer or AR15barrels here on calguns depending on your location, they both stock barrels, and custom turn them.

Good luck!

aplinker
09-28-2008, 2:10 AM
Personally - I would want rifle gas and (at least) 18" for a varmint AR.

just my 2cents.

Blacktail 8541
09-28-2008, 3:00 AM
16 inch will work ok for a varmiter, but you give up velocity. Accuracy is anon issue as far as the length of the barrel is concerned. It is the quality of the barrel that counts.

stphnman20
09-28-2008, 4:35 AM
Yeah I would suggest you get a 18-20 inch bbl for varmint

hitman13
09-28-2008, 4:55 AM
to me 'varmint' calls for atleast a 20"

ghideon
09-28-2008, 5:20 AM
Yeah, 18-20min length on the barrel, for me, is a candidate for a varmint setup. Not that you couldn't do it with a 16. Be a trend setter :)

windsheer
09-28-2008, 7:22 AM
I have uppers from both rock river & Dpms and will never by dpms agian. rock river lives up to their name as they truly ROCK.

Solidsnake87
09-28-2008, 11:02 AM
If you want a small light weight varminter than go with their predator persuit upper. It sports a thin profile match grad varmint barrel in a 1:8 twist and is hardly heavier than the thicker 16" varmint upper.

BigBamBoo
09-28-2008, 12:30 PM

Bimmer2
09-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll probably be using it mostly while standing at less then 100 yards....

This is, AFAIK, not "varmint" shooting. When I think of "varminting," I'm thinking of long-range shots off a rest (i.e., working over a prarie dog farm).

A good varmint rifle should be 20", or even 24", for maximum velocity and accuracy at long range (less bullet drop). There's no need for a gun that's going to be shot off a rest to be lightweight or compact.

And try searching "varmint" and NOT "varment."

Ben

edittman1
09-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I just picked up the RRA 20" Varmint upper from AR15sales.com. $555 shipped; seemed fair to me.

I'll let you know how it works out.. :)

xcrunner805
09-28-2008, 3:40 PM
Yea, also you have to evaluate the range he will be shooting varmints. He said less than 100 yards standing up...I don't know about you guys but standing up with a Rock River 20" heavy varmint is not practicle. I got a Sabre Defense 16" barrel with Troy quad rail and the Magpul covers for the rails, 1:8 twist on the barrel and can easily stand up with it to shoot varmints. It's also fluted so it's slightly lighter. It shoots easily under 1 MOA at 200 yards from bipod not having cleaned it in almost 1000 rounds with a HOT barrel and not even breathing correctly. The RRA is excellent, but let us know how it works out. You can always sell it if it doesn't fit your shooting/hunting needs. The 20" will do great for those longer shots where you need higher velocity. Good luck!

technique
09-28-2008, 3:52 PM
I think what the OP is referring to as a "Varmint" style upper, is one with a flat top, or raised flat top,tubular handguard and a bull barrel.

Remember that barrel length helps more so with velocity as opposed to accuracy. The OP stated 100 yards and in. Anything over 16in is some what over kill for that type of shooting, especially since he plans on standing while shooting. Anything longer is just heavy while standing when dealing with heavy barrels.

But for the most part, I think the LOOK of the "Varmint" upper is what he is after, not a upper for Varmint hunting.

unusedusername
09-28-2008, 6:16 PM
But for the most part, I think the LOOK of the "Varmint" upper is what he is after, not a upper for Varmint hunting.

I think the most I'll ever kill with the rifle will be a metal plate :D I'm going for a carbine length AR that looks a bit different then most of the AR builds I've seen.

So it sounds like I should stay clear of the DMPS.

technique
09-28-2008, 6:18 PM
I think the most I'll ever kill with the rifle will be a metal plate :D I'm going for a carbine length AR that looks a bit different then most of the AR builds I've seen.

So it sounds like I should stay clear of the DMPS.

I thought so. Yeah DPMS is what most consider a bottom feeder company. Your about to make an investment, make it count.

Bimmer2
09-28-2008, 6:23 PM
Poke around M4Carbine.net and arf.com.

It sounds like you just want a 16" bull barrel, or a stainless steel HBAR. They're not at all uncommon.

Ben

Ben

glockk9mm
09-28-2008, 6:39 PM
at the last gunshow in costa mesa I seen j&j armory had a cmmg carbine 16" bull barrel rifle for sale, I thought it looked pretty cool.

unusedusername
09-28-2008, 7:09 PM
So I know some dealers read this forum....

If anyone has a rock river 16" varmint in stock (so I wont have to wait 8-10 weeks from rock river) send me a PM!

EDIT: wow that was quick! I guess I have one on order now. :D