PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911s are on par with colts, sigs, and springfields

Nguyen
08-15-2016, 10:58 PM
PApRcRE-ft8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApRcRE-ft8

1911 discussion @ 11:45 "Dollar for dollar, the Rock Island last the longest."

DannyInSoCal
08-15-2016, 11:29 PM
I've run them all.

My longslide 2011 RIA is the most accurate...

Napalm Bulldog
08-16-2016, 1:48 AM
Yes and Honda civics are race cars.

Tovarish
08-16-2016, 1:51 AM
The one Armscor gun I own looks like it was hammered together by Filipino children.

Bullitt01
08-16-2016, 3:06 AM
How does it shoot?

Jimmy's
08-16-2016, 3:18 AM
Remember the Norinco? It surprised everyone and it's still rocken.

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 5:19 AM

Truth hurrts

FresnoRob
08-16-2016, 6:10 AM
The one Armscor gun I own looks like it was hammered together by Filipino children.

If a 1911 locks up well most would shoot better than you can. Fit and finish is worth a lot or we would all drive Kia's.

land locked
08-16-2016, 6:12 AM
I should have kept my billboard tactical version. It was a good shooting, accurate 1911.

Posted from behind enemy lines.

BennyAdeline
08-16-2016, 6:22 AM
They are nice 1911s. With the right mag they are flawless. I regretted selling mine, so I bought an office version last week.

Spyder
08-16-2016, 7:21 AM
Until you step up to Rowland.

SlickmisterN
08-16-2016, 7:35 AM
Not sure if quality has changed, but my RIA compact from about 3years ago cost me so much to get it running properly it negated any savings over a higher end mfgr.

By 500 rounds the slide stop notch had mushroomed out and deformed so badly it wouldn't hold the slide back. Armscor wanted me to pay for a new pot metal slide from them. Eeehhhh NO! :facepalm:

Mike0904
08-16-2016, 8:01 AM
They are nice 1911s. With the right mag they are flawless. I regretted selling mine, so I bought an office version last week.

Yea Benny, but the new owner is enjoying it :D
I've had the regret many times.

osis32
08-16-2016, 8:25 AM
Here's the thing that annoys me about 1911 snobs. The 1911 was never meant to have super tight tolerances with all parts being super snug. It's a military side arm where a certain amount of slop helped immensely with reliability. That's not to say tight tolerances are bad but they do have their disadvantages. I find ria stuff kind of hits the sweet spot between tolerance and reliability. Every company has their lemons and I can't deny ria can lack in quality control. Luckily their warranty can rectify those problems for the most part.

Leadingall
08-16-2016, 8:29 AM
My RIA tactical is the only 1911 I own and honestly, it's the only one I need

davek8s
08-16-2016, 8:50 AM
I own aSpringfield Loaded and a RIA. The Rock Island might not be pretty but I'm more accurate with it than I am with the Springfield.

I would buy another Rock Island 1911 anytime.

Fishslayer
08-16-2016, 8:55 AM
But is it as good as a Les Baer? :reddevil:

xfile
08-16-2016, 9:16 AM
I'll keep my colts and Springfield s. That's not to say I would pass up a rock.

Ripon83
08-16-2016, 9:18 AM
When I carry the RIA I don't care about the brush and rocks that might crash against my waist where it is; but when I carry the Colt I do. Sorry they aren't the same. Fit and finish there is a difference; now performance wise I'm not good enough to notice and they both always work for me.

robert101
08-16-2016, 9:44 AM
I don't have a high end 1911. My top end is a SS Dan Wesson 10MM Pointman 7. My opinion is that if it shoots well, its reliable and durable, then I could care less which gun or hammer I grab for. It is a tool and not some woman's jewelry that I need to adorn. Fit? Yea, I like it to not rattle when shaken. And that's all I have to say about that - the Gump man would say.

REDdawn6
08-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Not sure if quality has changed, but my RIA compact from about 3years ago cost me so much to get it running properly it negated any savings over a higher end mfgr.

By 500 rounds the slide stop notch had mushroomed out and deformed so badly it wouldn't hold the slide back. Armscor wanted me to pay for a new pot metal slide from them. Eeehhhh NO! :facepalm:

If you had problems, why spend a time. Send back to Customer service and they would fix everything on their dime?!? Doesn't matter if you are not the original owner. :facepalm:

REDdawn6
08-16-2016, 10:10 AM
I have never herd of them wanting anyone to pay for repair...

k1dude
08-16-2016, 10:21 AM
I know a competitive shooter that probably has about 250,000 rounds through his RIA frame. He's gone through a slide/barrel or two (different makes), but the frame is still holding up fine.

MarikinaMan
08-16-2016, 10:26 AM
reliability and accuracy are two different things. nice to see the my country men got the metallurgy and machining down pat. it can only get better from there.

GlockN'Roll
08-16-2016, 10:43 AM
PApRcRE-ft8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PApRcRE-ft8

1911 discussion @ 11:45 "Dollar for dollar, the Rock Island last the longest."

An even bigger takeaway @9:58,

the Glock 17 is their most reliable and easiest to service pistol,

ahead of even the oft vaunted P226, which only when prompted, is given an honorable mention..

saudadeii
08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
ROCK ISLAND!!!!!! YO!!!!

jimmykan
08-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Just as these are all Corvettes...

http://www.corvsport.com/Corvette/Corvette_Images/C1-C7_Corvette_Top_Image.jpg

These are all 1911s (not sure if there's a Rock Island in there though).

http://i.imgur.com/RXmq3.jpg

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 11:18 AM

ahead of even the oft vaunted P226, which only when prompted, is given an honorable mention..

SHHHH! You'll get the 1911 fan boys all butt hurt.

saudadeii
08-16-2016, 11:19 AM
3rd row, 6th from left looks like a RIA GI!

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 11:21 AM
I should buy a citadel 1911

http://i.imgur.com/6qrUlXR.jpg

deephouse
08-16-2016, 12:02 PM
RIA is Made in the Philippines.

MABUHAY FILPINAS!

Gotta support my peeps. Guns, billards, and boxing.

jj19
08-16-2016, 12:04 PM

There's the SCCA, then honda's involvement in formula 1, and if youre into bikes, check out MotoGp where hondas have reigned supreme in recent years.

Just saying, @misinformed comments *#smh* :facepalm:

jj19
08-16-2016, 12:08 PM
#nothing wrong with ria given the price. The thing that matters is whos behind the trigger. That said, i still would choose springfield armory because of its original involvement in the history of the 1911 regardless of longterm reliability because all things can break given usage and time! :thumbsup:

Euphoria526
08-16-2016, 12:10 PM
There's the SCCA, then honda's involvement in formula 1, and if youre into bikes, check out MotoGp where hondas have reigned supreme in recent years.

Just saying, @misinformed comments *#smh* :facepalm:

Those are respected race leagues.
He's talking about the average autozone hangout type rice burner with a 93 civic hatchback on track day.

I had this argument with someone before about a rices out Honda Fit. It's cute but won't get you anywhere outside of a Honda Fit circuit league. As race or rally cars.... Not the big boys with sponsorships or $10,000 worth of time and money put in

I Swan
08-16-2016, 12:37 PM
#nothing wrong with ria given the price. The thing that matters is whos behind the trigger. That said, i still would choose springfield armory because of its original involvement in the history of the 1911 regardless of longterm reliability because all things can break given usage and time! :thumbsup:

I don't believe the company that today is using the Springfield Armory name had anything to do whatsoever with history or development of the 1911.

Treyzian
08-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Eh, there are plenty of fast Hondas and plenty of fast people driving them. The guy who does my alignments/suspension work drives a "93 civic hatchback" and is faster than 95% of those weekend track day warriors.

They just get a bad reputation from all the ****bags who drive them.

Edit: Since this is a gun forum, you have to be really hardcore and picky to say you like a Springfield, Colt, etc. over the RIA because it's more accurate/reliable, or vice versa. Short of those rare quality control issues, they all have the potential to shoot better than you can, and they all are very reliable. It's all just personal preference. Honda<->racecar is a bad analogy.

916mestizo
08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
People super hate on RIA 1911's, but everyone I have talked to who has actually shoot them have nothing bad to say.

I have a RIA match version with thousands of rounds through it, still shoots great and is my EDC gun.

When I got it the safety had an issue where it would fall to half cock when the safety was thumbed off really hard. I emailed them and they replied in less than a day, which happened to be new years day with RMA info and a shipping label. Two weeks later it was fixed and back in my hands.

I have a couple friends that have nice Colt MKIV's and both have said their RIA's shoot as good or better. Like others have said if your trying to resell it for high value then RIA isn't your best bet, but if you want a reliable 1911 for decent price then a Rock is a great option.

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Eh, there are plenty of fast Hondas and plenty of fast people driving them. The guy who does my alignments/suspension work drives a "93 civic hatchback" and is faster than 95% of those weekend track day warriors.

They just get a bad reputation from all the ****bags who drive them.

Edit: Since this is a gun forum, you have to be really hardcore and picky to say you like a Springfield, Colt, etc. over the RIA because it's more accurate/reliable, or vice versa. Short of those rare quality control issues, they all have the potential to shoot better than you can, and they all are very reliable. It's all just personal preference. Honda<->racecar is a bad analogy.

what evo tho.. do you go to buttonwillow?

Treyzian
08-16-2016, 1:08 PM
what evo tho.. do you go to buttonwillow?

8, went once to Buttonwillow for Global Time Attack, head gasket was on it's way out, overheating, crappy 1:59 @ 13CW

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 1:12 PM
8, went once to Buttonwillow for Global Time Attack, head gasket was on it's way out, overheating, crappy 1:59 @ 13CW

yeah my friends goes a lot... They drive fa5 civics, itrs, and s2k.

Kowan
08-16-2016, 1:20 PM
RIA is Made in the Philippines.

MABUHAY FILPINAS!

Gotta support my peeps. Guns, billards, and boxing.
Agreed. It's why I choose USA made firearms. Nothing wrong in foreign made, but I hope the job I save is mine.

jeffrice6
08-16-2016, 1:58 PM

Hahaha ~ Still makes me laugh!!!

rm1911
08-16-2016, 2:25 PM
I own three rocks. 2 9mm's and one 45. All shoot great. I also own a 70series colt. Yeah, it's beautiful and it shoots great. Rocks are great guns. Not "for the price" but just great guns. They aren't pretty but they just work. And that's the key. Can't go wrong with a rock. Or for that matter any 1911.

Air
08-16-2016, 2:30 PM
I have one, just the regular GI model. I bought it for use as a beater, so I wouldn't have to beat up on my Colt. It's fine for what it is, a bare bones 1911 that goes bang. And the price was certainly right, I like it a lot.

But it's not a Colt.

MotoFahren
08-16-2016, 2:32 PM

http://drivingline.prd.s3.amazonaws.com/media/articleimages/2015/04/6toosoon.jpg

jj19
08-16-2016, 2:46 PM
I don't believe the company that today is using the Springfield Armory name had anything to do whatsoever with history or development of the 1911.

You're right but partially! SA along with colt and i think remington (read it somewhere) manufactured 1911s during ww1 and ww2 or something like that.

Regarding SA warranty, I hear nothing but great things over at springfield and their customer service. So that's why I choose SA>ria. I also like how SA uses match parts and I prefer their overall look.

One day, I may purchase a ria 1911 but have no such plans currently.

Lol didn't know we also have car guys here in calguns!!! Awesome!

Lead Waster
08-16-2016, 3:01 PM

Not a good comparison.

Name something a high end custom can FUNCTIONALLY do, that a $500 RIA can't do.

A real racecar can lap a honda civic many times. A high end custom can ... what? hit the bullseye harder?

BennyAdeline
08-16-2016, 3:03 PM
Yea Benny, but the new owner is enjoying it :D
I've had the regret many times.

Hahaha! What's up brother! I hope that gun makes you smile :)

Lead Waster
08-16-2016, 3:06 PM
You're right but partially! SA along with colt and i think remington (read it somewhere) manufactured 1911s during ww1 and ww2 or something like that.

Regarding SA warranty, I hear nothing but great things over at springfield and their customer service. So that's why I choose SA>ria. I also like how SA uses match parts and I prefer their overall look.

One day, I may purchase a ria 1911 but have no such plans currently.

Lol didn't know we also have car guys here in calguns!!! Awesome!

You are confusing "The Springfield Armory" with "Springfield Armory, Inc"

The first was a US Government Arsenal/armory that build guns for the US Government. THe second is an importer/manufacturer of 1911s and M1As which is a company from the 1970s onward.

Same with "Rock Island Armory" which is an importer of of Armscor guns (or something), but "The Rock Island Arsenal" was another US GOv't arsenal/armory.

Lead Waster
08-16-2016, 3:13 PM

It depends on what you mean by "good". A Les Baer will be much better fit together, and you can't deny that Les Baer's finish wears so beautifully. But for putting .45 inch holes in paper ... I don't see how much better one 1911 can be over another.

No, I don't have a Les Baer. I do have both an RIA Tactical and a SA TRP. Yes, I can see the differences. But realisticaly, they both shoot pretty good as they are both 1911s so they mask a lot of my poor shooting technique.

I mean ... the 1911 design has been around for 100+ years and there have been very little changes to them. Anyone "making" a 1911 is just putting the same old parts together in the same old way. Yes, some are prettier, and yes, some have ridiculous tolerences, but so what? They all meet or exceed what JMB spec'ed them to be in terms of quality and tolerance. The only thing even remotely innovation in 1911s is double stacking them into 2011s. Let's face it, they are all the same when it comes down to it.

jj19
08-16-2016, 3:19 PM
You are confusing "The Springfield Armory" with "Springfield Armory, Inc"

The first was a US Government Arsenal/armory that build guns for the US Government. THe second is an importer/manufacturer of 1911s and M1As which is a company from the 1970s onward.

Same with "Rock Island Armory" which is an importer of of Armscor guns (or something), but "The Rock Island Arsenal" was another US GOv't arsenal/armory.

Thanks for the clarification! And what trp model are you talking about? Stainless or the armory kote? Nice choice btw!

Out of curiousity, how much better do you shoot the ria over the trp? Or vice versa?

Lead Waster
08-16-2016, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification! And what trp model are you talking about? Stainless or the armory kote? Nice choice btw!

Out of curiousity, how much better do you shoot the ria over the trp? Or vice versa?

The TRP is very accurate. I mean .. extremely accurate. However, I've been having issues with it, maybe magazine related. It would not lock back on empty mags, but I had bought the mags second hand. I bought some new Wilson Combat flat wire springs to replace them, but haven't tried the revived mags yet.

And something about the TRP was causing stovepipes, I adjusted the extractor, but I'm also not ruling out the used magazines.

The RIA is dead reliable, but I swapped the sights and my sights shoot 5-6 inches low, so I can't really say how accurate MY RIA is.

I actually took both guns to a Single Stack USPSA match, and chose to use the RIA for its reliability, unfortunatley, the poorly chosen sights made it hard for me to hit steel plates, where I KNOW the TRP would have hit them. I didn't want to deal with the stovepipes though.

I think when both are fixed, they are roughly equivalent in terms of shootability and accuracy.

I ahve the armory kote TRP, but I also bought it used and the previous ownder told me he stripped the armory kote and cerakoted it. WHen I asked why, he said he liked the shinier (or less shiny) black of the cerakote. THis could be just BS though.

golfish
08-16-2016, 4:04 PM
Took the wife and kids shooting Sunday on BLM. I brought the RIA GI and the Springfield Mil Spec. The GI has too many FTF and FTE with JHP's and fails about 1 in 50 using ball ammo, more when using none factory mags.
My Mil Spec isn't picky about mags and hasn't had a single failure. I'm hoping some polishing will help it work better

k1dude
08-16-2016, 4:32 PM
Took the wife and kids shooting Sunday on BLM. I brought the RIA GI and the Springfield Mil Spec. The GI has too many FTF and FTE with JHP's and fails about 1 in 50 using ball ammo, more when using none factory mags.
My Mil Spec isn't picky about mags and hasn't had a single failure. I'm hoping some polishing will help it work better

I had the exact opposite experience. My friend brought his Springfield Loaded and I brought my RIA Tactical. His had constant FTE's and FTF's while mine ran flawlessly. Ammo didn't matter. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

BTW, his went back to the factory. It came back and still isn't behaving.

Pedroj
08-16-2016, 4:43 PM
My Honda's Are Race Cars lol
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10552355_715197418552451_5700743575414309385_n.jpg ?oh=a30a7b9f77d19127bc3e635d354a5b62&oe=581410A3

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10420404_10202890008451387_28876177411255401_n.jpg ?oh=a60bbb885db179ff73f3ad0758fcbbcb&oe=5817BAD9

jimmykan
08-16-2016, 4:43 PM

The current generation Civic Type R has over 300 horsepower. And it's scheduled to arrive in the states in 2018. :eek:

That's more than my Subaru STi. I still get get off the line and reach 60mph sooner, thanks to AWD. :o

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/honda/honda-civic-type-r-2016-long-term-test-review/
http://images.car.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/29172/1040x0/095hondacivictyper.jpg?scale=down

golfish
08-16-2016, 4:48 PM
I had the exact opposite experience. My friend brought his Springfield Loaded and I brought my RIA Tactical. His had constant FTE's and FTF's while mine ran flawlessly. Ammo didn't matter. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

BTW, his went back to the factory. It came back and still isn't behaving.

lol, lets hope RIA can fix mine. I won't have to worry about SA fixing my MS because its "flawless"

Pedroj
08-16-2016, 4:51 PM

Is it the legendary Ken Suen? LMAO if it is i Live a couple streets from him

Guerrilla Warfare
08-16-2016, 5:08 PM
In before people who paid more money for a more well-known brand chimes in with butthu---

Damn, too late.

cindynles
08-16-2016, 5:26 PM
In before people who paid more money for a more well-known brand chimes in with butthu---

Damn, too late.

I haven't seen very many 10,000+ round reviews on the lesser-known brands........ :43:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=824424

stormvet
08-16-2016, 6:00 PM
One of these days I'll clean all the change out of my trucks ashtray and buy a rock, just to see what all the fuss is about.

highpower
08-16-2016, 6:54 PM

I was wondering when the Glock fanbois would crawl out.

drifts1
08-16-2016, 7:08 PM
My RIA Tactical is my most accurate handgun. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance but she puts out ;)

Nguyen
08-16-2016, 7:25 PM
there are more 1911 fan boys on here than glock fanboys

GW
08-16-2016, 7:27 PM

All those 1911's and only two bobtails.
Hmmm

ETA: Whoops-- 3

M76
08-16-2016, 7:48 PM
I really like my RIA Tac, but I LOVE my Colt Commander!

wouldn't mind getting an Ed Brown or Les Baer someday...

ghsdca
08-16-2016, 8:04 PM
My only 1911 is a Wilson. Not sure I could shoot it better than a RIA but lord, it is a fine piece of machinery. Get what makes you happy

smittty
08-16-2016, 8:30 PM
They shoot well but there's more to owning a 1911!

It's America's gun and given the choice, I'd choose a classic Colt Government model. It has clean lines, attractive roll mark, shoots well and holds it's value.

If you're going to own just one 1911, c'mon the ria isn't going to be your first choice!

symbology
08-16-2016, 9:24 PM
Not a good comparison.

Name something a high end custom can FUNCTIONALLY do, that a $500 RIA can't do.

A real race car can lap a honda civic many times. A high end custom can ... what? hit the bullseye harder?

lol

900ss
08-16-2016, 9:29 PM

Correct.

Flouncer
08-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Yes and Honda race cars win Formula One Championships.

Cheeeeeeeeesssss come awn girls . . . .. . . . :sleeping:

I Swan
08-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Agreed. It's why I choose USA made firearms. Nothing wrong in foreign made, but I hope the job I save is mine.

Agreed. Although I do buy foreign products I do tend to prefer Colt 1911's one reason is they hold their value. There is nothing wrong with having pride in your ethnic background (although plastic paddies and every White American I know claiming there was a Cherokee princess in their family bloodline gets annoying) but I don't know why every 3rd world immigrant I usually deal with takes so much pride in the way things are done in their country of origin, roots for their home country team, says how great things are there yet they are in American taking full advantage of this country.

Heck, if I escaped poverty and dictatorships and made it to the USA I'd be more than proud to buy American made 1911's and root for US teams and athletes! I once owned a RIA and I own Llama and Star 1911'ish clones in 9mm and 38super so by no means am I a gun snob. I even own a Norinco 1911 but I do have more Colts than anything. Most of the foreign ones I own were just bought due to coming across good deals on them.

dtelston
08-16-2016, 11:07 PM

That's because it WAS hammered together by Filipino children.:laugh:

hambam105
08-16-2016, 11:43 PM
RIAs are where Colt was at circa 1903.

myk
08-17-2016, 2:21 AM

Is the RIA broken in? Mine needed about a box of ammo until it settled down. Oh and aftermarket mags too...

Blackhawk556
08-17-2016, 7:22 AM
Oh they can be. Keyword "can"

Sent from CA DoJ

Nguyen
08-17-2016, 9:11 AM
Pretty much in this thread: Higher end 1911 guys are butthurt to hear that RIA runs on par with theirs and glocks/sigs runs more reliable than their 1911s (according to the vid).

Kowan
08-17-2016, 9:15 AM
Pretty much in this thread: Higher end 1911 guys are butthurt to hear that RIA runs on par with theirs and glocks/sigs runs more reliable than their 1911s (according to the vid).
I didn't read the same thread and come away with your version.

MrBlazito
08-17-2016, 9:27 AM

4th row #6 sure looks like a Citadel 1911.

macman25
08-17-2016, 10:14 AM
I shoot TRP Loaded, RIA compact, and Citadel FS. They are all good weapons. I am not any more accurate with one than the other, which tells me I am the weak link in the equation. They all function reliably for me each and every time I take them out. It is really a matter of choice/preference for each individual.

Che762x39
08-17-2016, 2:43 PM
I look at this thread as a Public Service Announcement.

I suggest a Rock for people who want to go to the 1911. Why buy a Colt when they may not like the platform? You get a Colt and you put an "idiot scratch" on it. Then you do a poor reassembly of a "detail strip". Then you do a bubba mod on it and decide for one reason or another to sell it on CG. It will be no where near what they pay for it. JMHO :oji:

j-shot
08-17-2016, 2:50 PM
:laugh: Place is better than cable TV

golfish
08-17-2016, 3:33 PM
Is the RIA broken in? Mine needed about a box of ammo until it settled down. Oh and aftermarket mags too...

Yeah, I'd say it gets worse as time goes on, probably 300rds, mostly ball ammo. I like the guns and I'll do what ever it takes to get it up to par. It could just need some feed ramp polishing. I gave the GI to my daughter so I've got to get it running right.

I Swan
08-17-2016, 4:04 PM
I used to run a range and we had a well used and not too well maintained rental selection. Glocks and Colt 1911's were middle of the road in durability. Rugers were the champs. Beretta 92FS was the worst. We never really had low end 1911's in the rental selection so I don't know.

smittty
08-17-2016, 5:38 PM
I used to run a range and we had a well used and not too well maintained rental selection. Glocks and Colt 1911's were middle of the road in durability. Rugers were the champs. Beretta 92FS was the worst.

Get out of here, Ruger's, which ones?

nahpungnome
08-17-2016, 7:08 PM
When someone says a Glock is better than a 1911, people get offended. When people say a cheap 1911 is just as good as an expensive 1911, people get offended. In the end, people just get offended.

dtelston
08-17-2016, 7:43 PM
If we're all honest, while RIA's perform just fine, they are bottom of the barrel, entry level 1911's no matter where anyone stands opinion wise. Do they shoot? Sure. Are they reliable? Enough. Are they the best way to spend $500 on a firearm? No, go buy a Glock for that money. It's more reliable and more trustworthy when it comes to betting one's life.

Just like the guy who pimps out his Honda and calls it "rare" or a "race car" has no perspective, experience or even ability to enter into conversation about race cars or what nice is, an RIA owner has no ability in all the same regards to enter into what a nice 1911 is.

All this said, RIA IS the best bang for your buck in terms of what you are getting with long lasting 1911s. $500 will get you a 1911 that lasts just as long as an $8,000 full-house custom. So yes, bang for your buck is high in terms of dollar for dollar spent, but let's not live in denial here...Your RIA sits at the absolute bottom of the totem pole...no offense of course as I have one too, among about a half dozen other 1911's that cost more than 10x a Rock Island.

Dago Red
08-17-2016, 7:51 PM
I am a RIA owner (tactical ii?, came w adjustable rear, factory fiber front, vz grips, magwell and a good trigger) I bought it as it had everything I wanted out of the box. I will say this: do not buy a rock island! It will irritate you to no end that you paid twice as much (or more) for other 1911's that aren't as good out of the box

Before people call me a low end gun snob, I have a TRP, Trophy Match, Loaded 9mm (brought it home today actually) and a kimber. Out of the box the RIA had the best trigger. Frankly Springfield should be embarrassed about the triggers that leave their shop. I sent the TRP and TM back for some other stuff and while there paid them to do trigger jobs, they still came back heavier than the factory RIA trigger.

I have had warranty work by both companies. Both were good and without hassle.

The only advantage to the more expensive guns? Cosmetic. Let's take my trophy match for instance. $1200 IIRC, and now with a $175 trigger pull kit in it, we have equal performance (actually slightly better on the trigger, again I had to spend more money, on top of what I wasted having soringfield do a trigger job). Let's say though I'm in 1375 vs the RIA at 650. I'd bet metallurgy is just as good on both and that the RIA had just as much hand fitting done. I can't believe that I could have it refinished for well under $725.

Now, a colt in that royal blue w some ivory grips, gorgeous. Wilson's, beautiful. If you're wanting to use car analogies though you're just talking paint jobs. Because running and function there is no measurable difference. Quality is the same too.

Red

NOTABIKER
08-17-2016, 7:56 PM
I do not need to read all the Anti RIA posts.People that spend too much money on a 1911 do not like being foolish.you can spend all you want on a overpriced 1911 if you want to. My tac 5 RIA in 45 ACP is a nice looking pistol in every way. rock Island is very proud of their product. The standard GI model does have wood grips that make the pistol look cheap.I have a total of 600 in my 1911 including aftermarket double diamond rose Wood grips.I have shot high end 1911s and personally feel all that money invested in them mostly goes to waste.Spend your money as you wish but cost does not always mean better.

cindynles
08-17-2016, 9:40 PM
If you are going to shoot your 1911 as a range toy and put maybe 1000 rounds per year through it by taking it out once a month or so, most people are going to say the budget guns are just as good as the higher end 1911's. If you are going to shoot your 1911 on a regular basis you will see a difference.

I'm a moderate USPSA shooter and I put an average of 1000 rounds/month through my comp guns. I shoot with several guys who average triple that. The lower end guns just do not stand up to higher round counts. Look around on the competition forums or go to a USPSA/IDPA/3-Gun match and see what people are running. You won't find very many Rock Islands / Citadels. You will find Springfields, STIs, and custom built guns though (even a few Kimbers).

All these people saying how great their RIAs are don't mention how many rounds they have put through the guns. How many have actually put 10,000 rounds through their RIA?

Its your money, spend it on what you want. But don't kid yourself by firing a couple of hundred rounds through your RIA and then declaring its just as good as a Wilson. Put 20,000 - 30,000 rounds through it then come back and talk.

I Swan
08-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Get out of here, Ruger's, which ones?

GP100 was the king of the hill. P89 did quite well also. I didn't watch the vid but I assume Rock Island did sort of OK with high round counts at a range?

Actually I don't really like very high end 1911's and yes I have shot them and yes I can afford them. I own over 350 guns. I'm happy at the mid level Colt and S&W level and I am even OK with the Colt 1991's.

Actually I do not like Springfield Armory 1911's for various reasons. And bottom of the barrel is not RIA it is Llama and even those can be serviceable within their limitations.

If you want to cheap out on a handgun here is better platforms to do so on than a 1911. However Some of the lower end 1911's are fine depending on what you expect it to do.

I don't consider the RIA the new version of the Norinco but since we no longer have that option they fulfill the same function up to a point. I'd like to see if a Taurus 1911 is any good but in that price range I'd probably just do a used basic Kimber.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with Kimbers but I have been impressed with the ones I've fired. Gold match was rather decent.

michael0594
08-17-2016, 10:38 PM
If you are going to shoot your 1911 as a range toy and put maybe 1000 rounds per year through it by taking it out once a month or so, most people are going to say the budget guns are just as good as the higher end 1911's. If you are going to shoot your 1911 on a regular basis you will see a difference.

I'm a moderate USPSA shooter and I put an average of 1000 rounds/month through my comp guns. I shoot with several guys who average triple that. The lower end guns just do not stand up to higher round counts. Look around on the competition forums or go to a USPSA/IDPA/3-Gun match and see what people are running. You won't find very many Rock Islands / Citadels. You will find Springfields, STIs, and custom built guns though (even a few Kimbers).

All these people saying how great their RIAs are don't mention how many rounds they have put through the guns. How many have actually put 10,000 rounds through their RIA?

Its your money, spend it on what you want. But don't kid yourself by firing a couple of hundred rounds through your RIA and then declaring its just as good as a Wilson. Put 20,000 - 30,000 rounds through it then come back and talk.

Did you watch the video? Those guns including the RIA go through thousands of rounds a month.

Blackhawk556
08-18-2016, 12:32 AM

Is this someone's personal collection from Calguns?

Sent from CA DoJ

myk
08-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Did you watch the video? Those guns including the RIA go through thousands of rounds a month.

I'm willing to bet the reason why no one uses the RIA's in those competitions and the like is because of pedigree. If it isn't a well known brand name like a Wilson or Springfield then you're considered unworthy. Are Wilson's, Springfield's and even Kimbers more refined than RIA, sure, but that doesn't mean they can't function just as well...

krnrspd
08-18-2016, 1:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbt_v8oQ64

For the uninitiated, that lap time is pretty damn incredible and would make most people **** their pants.

Just to give you an idea or reference, this would be a pedestrian in a 911 991 GT3 which is a bout out of the box "race car" as you can get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpJijqFYPy0

I've got a RIA Tactical and a Springfield Loaded, I love and appreciate that RIA's price is unapologetic and allows me to holster and beat on her for it's intended purpose.

Btw - I don't care what vehicle or what price point you set, their is no better transmission than a Honda (s2000) or any sport bike.

The NSX is considered to have no equal when it comes to steering.

Just saying Honda knows what they are doing whether it's on 2 wheels or 4 wheels, on the road or in the dirt.

SDawson
08-18-2016, 4:52 AM

I have 20,000+ rounds through my RIA Match 1911, shooting most of those rounds during USPSA matches. Changed the springs and that was it. Have 3 RIA's, a Springfield and a Kimber. I would not hesitate buying another RIA.

cindynles
08-18-2016, 7:38 AM

Yes I did. The person being interviewed did not have any actual data. What does thousands mean? 2,000 or 100,000? These types of testimonials are not worth much without empirical data.

"In God we trust, all others must show data" :D

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/cindynles/trophy%20match/20140906_182454_zpsae3epaqz.jpg (http://s557.photobucket.com/user/cindynles/media/trophy%20match/20140906_182454_zpsae3epaqz.jpg.html)

deadcoyote
08-18-2016, 7:48 AM
I'm a bit conflicted here. I bought a compact officers size rock island .45 and it would 100% not function straight outta the box. I sent it back and they replaced every part in the gun but the slide, barrel, and frame. When I got it back it shot tiny groups but I sold it.

Kowan
08-18-2016, 8:01 AM
I'm a bit conflicted here. I bought a compact officers size rock island .45 and it would 100% not function straight outta the box. I sent it back and they replaced every part in the gun but the slide, barrel, and frame. When I got it back it shot tiny groups but I sold it.
Any gun out there could have a problem straight from the factory.
All the video implied was everyone of the 1911's tested suffered the same problems since they all are based on the same design. They said the RIA was the best buy for the buck.

jimmykan
08-18-2016, 8:36 AM
This thread is getting boring. :sleeping:

[unsubscribed]

k1dude
08-18-2016, 9:19 AM

You must have missed my post. I know a very good competitive shooter that has somewhere around 250,000 rounds through his RIA and it's still plugging along just fine. He said it's the best frame he's ever had and if it failed, he'd buy another in a heartbeat.

GlockN'Roll
08-18-2016, 9:49 AM
Some of the younger members amongst us may not remember when a Springfield Armory was a (the?) low cost quality platform to build competition guns on.

Only those who were sponsored or who had money built race guns on name brand frames and boutique pistols...

Several members of our family are happy to have RIA's in various configurations, as well as a few Kimbers and Colts...

Now please stop talking about 1911's so I can keep my money in the bank, or at least spend it all on ammo... :D

k1dude
08-18-2016, 10:12 AM
This thread reminds me of wine snobs. There's excellent wines out there for $8 to $20. But, wine snobs look down on anything that isn't $75 and up. Yet, in blind taste tests they usually pick the less expensive wines as being the best.

omega
08-18-2016, 10:23 AM
The Rock Island Armory has nothing to do with the original RIA from the US, it sounds kind of silly to use that name from a gun made in the Philippines, the quality is mostly cast / MIM

I know Springfield Armory is also just a name thats not related to the original military maker, but at least they use forged receivers & slides and they are made by a very well know military arms maker "IMBEL" the same factory that made the FN FAL Brazilian contract battle rifles

I'll take a Springfield Armory over the RIA anyday

like the SA Loaded M1911A1 it's much better quality than RIA

Jimmy's
08-18-2016, 10:25 AM
I own a Auto Ordnance from the late 70's it was worked over by Kings gun works in Glendale, It's my single HD gun, I also own a Armscor from about 20 years ago, 100% stock, guess what I carry in my truck and goes everywhere I go. No I don't shoot a 1000 rounds a month nor is there a need to such to know that it's a reliable firearm.

Wordupmybrotha
08-18-2016, 10:44 AM
RIA = range toy
Glock = self defense

Kestryll
08-18-2016, 10:59 AM
RIA = range toy
Glock = self defense

Silly statement.

It's a singular example of course but I've had minor problems with 1911s, Glocks, XDs Kahrs, Taurus and more. The 1911s include RIA, Kimber and even a Remington R1 completely refitted with Ed Brown components by Jim Hoag.

All of them are subject to issues and while problems are rare they do happen.

The only handguns I own that have never given me ANY problems are a CHP trade in S&W Model 60 and a circa late 70's Browning Hi-Power. Both have been flawless for a couple of decades.

As for 'range toy v self defense', you can discount it as a 'range toy' when you're willing to stand in front of it.

Scratch705
08-18-2016, 11:10 AM
all i know is i want a 1911 in 9mm, and the RIA in .38 super then convert to 9mm is still cheaper than a springfield target 9mm (which hovers in the +$950 mark.)

at this point in time, the 1911 design is old, and as such tooling costs should be minimal. the only reason for expensive 1911 is due to only the name and the perceived value.

if kimber or les bear decided to one day drop the price of their 1911 to RIA prices, in 5 years would people still think they are quality? No, people would be suspect and deem them to be cheap even if they kept the exact same QC controls.

it is all about perceived quality by price. no easier market to see this than in jewelry. the markups of jewelry is just crazy and makes me never want to buy jewelry ever. (only reason i know is i work for a jewelry company. i get to see actual costs vs our retail costs)

MarikinaMan
08-18-2016, 11:16 AM
I have 20,000+ rounds through my RIA Match 1911, shooting most of those rounds during USPSA matches. Changed the springs and that was it. Have 3 RIA's, a Springfield and a Kimber. I would not hesitate buying another RIA.

Lol, thats an interwebs ***** slap if I ever saw one :)

Wordupmybrotha
08-18-2016, 11:20 AM
As for 'range toy v self defense', you can discount it as a 'range toy' when you're willing to stand in front of it.

With all due respect, I think that's a silly statement. There's no one in the right mind who would stand in front of any firearm (say even a .22 short) to prove that.

Some guns, whether for inconvenient ergonomics, small caliber, or perceived unreliability, would relegate it to a fun gun status to shoot at the range (i.e. range toy), whereas a gun that's trustworthy based on their experience or reputation would esteem it a self defense status. Of course, the SD gun old be a range toy as well.

Based on reputation, RIA is not in the same league as the Glock for reliability.

cbsdd00
08-18-2016, 11:20 AM
When someone says a Glock is better than a 1911, people get offended. When people say a cheap 1911 is just as good as an expensive 1911, people get offended. In the end, people just get offended.

This x10 million. Different strokes for different folks. I love watching people "argue" or try to convince others why the gun or whatever else they own is better than what someone else has.:facepalm:

Kestryll
08-18-2016, 11:30 AM
With all due respect, I think that's a silly statement. There's no one in the right mind who would stand in front of any firearm (say even a .22 short) to prove that.

You've just made my point.

No one in their right mind would be willing to stand in front of either weapon, that means BOTH are adequate and beyond for self defense.

garyngwind
08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
um, hi guys, I am interested in a used RIA 1911. I notice quite a few are sold here on CG, and most of them are the Tactical model. However, they do not have full/half rails, contrasting to RIA's official website where all the TAC series have rails (TAC series same as Tactical model?) . I asked for their CA-compliant list and only the GI series are being sold here. So, are there any RIA 1911 that comes with rails? (I only saw one or two seller has one).

sorry for being off topic :)

cindynles
08-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Lol, thats an interwebs ***** slap if I ever saw one :)

Internet talk is cheap, funny how no one making these claims has any actual data to back it up............

Fishslayer
08-18-2016, 12:01 PM
The Rock Island Armory has nothing to do with the original RIA from the US, it sounds kind of silly to use that name from a gun made in the Philippines, the quality is mostly cast / MIM

You might be thinking Rock Island Arsenal...

Canucky
08-18-2016, 12:07 PM
um, hi guys, I am interested in a used RIA 1911. I notice quite a few are sold here on CG, and most of them are the Tactical model. However, they do not have full/half rails, contrasting to RIA's official website where all the TAC series have rails (TAC series same as Tactical model?) . I asked for their CA-compliant list and only the GI series are being sold here. So, are there any RIA 1911 that comes with rails? (I only saw one or two seller has one).

sorry for being off topic :)
Check the roster. Some new models with half rails. Taylor's Tac.

Kestryll
08-18-2016, 1:53 PM
Internet talk is cheap, funny how no one making these claims has any actual data to back it up............

You mean BESIDES the range in Vegas that runs thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds through their RIAs every month?

Or are we discounting the data they present because... reasons?

MrBlazito
08-18-2016, 2:02 PM

I know Springfield Armory is also just a name thats not related to the original military maker, but at least they use forged receivers & slides and they are made by a very well know military arms maker "IMBEL" the same factory that made the FN FAL Brazilian contract battle rifles

I'll take a Springfield Armory over the RIA anyday

like the SA Loaded M1911A1 it's much better quality than RIA

Frame is cast and the slides are forged. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. You'll never wear out the frame either way. And if somehow you do, RIA has lifetime warranty!

GlockN'Roll
08-18-2016, 2:44 PM
With all due respect, I think that's a silly statement.

There's no one in the right mind who would stand in front of any firearm (say even a .22 short) to prove that.

Some guns, whether for inconvenient ergonomics, small caliber, or perceived unreliability, would relegate it to a fun gun status to shoot at the range (i.e. range toy),

whereas a gun that's trustworthy based on their experience or reputation would esteem it a self defense status.

Of course, the SD gun old be a range toy as well.

Based on reputation,

RIA is not in the same league as the Glock for reliability.

Few, if any firearm, is in the same league as a Glock when it comes to their reputation for reliability.

Confidence in a weapon is best tested by your willingness to stand behind it, as one would in a self defense role, whether as a carry or home defense weapon....

Intel0116
08-18-2016, 3:35 PM
Few, if any firearm, is in the same league as a Glock when it comes to their reputation for reliability.

Confidence in a weapon is best tested by your willingness to stand behind it, as one would in a self defense role, whether as a carry or home defense weapon....

Not true. The 1911 has a 105 year and counting outstanding track record, the glock dosent even come close. When the glock gets to 50 years well talk.....

MarikinaMan
08-18-2016, 3:52 PM

Its funny that you think anyone owes you data lol.

cindynles
08-18-2016, 5:26 PM
You mean BESIDES the range in Vegas that runs thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds through their RIAs every month?

Or are we discounting the data they present because... reasons?

Because they don't have actual numbers. What does "thousands" of rounds mean? Does that mean 2,000 or does it mean 100,000?

cindynles
08-18-2016, 5:29 PM
Its funny that you think anyone owes you data lol.

The fact that people who keep saying how great their RIA's are can't produce any says all there is to say.

tbc
08-18-2016, 5:51 PM
RIA = range toy

Glock = self defense

Wilson Combat = range toy
Glock = self defense

RIA = want to try out a 1911 but does not want to spend boat load of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbc
08-18-2016, 6:00 PM
I am going to give you a 1911. You have two choices:

A. Wilson Combat
B. RIA

Which one are you going to choose?

Wordupmybrotha
08-18-2016, 6:49 PM

A. Wilson Combat
B. RIA

Your money, I'll take a Wilson Combat, my money, I'll take an RIA :)

GlockN'Roll
08-18-2016, 7:03 PM
Not true.

The 1911 has a 105 year and counting outstanding track record,

the glock dosent even come close.

When the glock gets to 50 years well talk.....

First, what is not true?

Second, longevity of production has little to do with reliability and more to do with demand as well as its' long term use by the military.

By your standard the firearm with longest running production is the most reliable and even the diehard 1911 fans, like myself, would not make that claim with a straight face.

NOTABIKER
08-18-2016, 8:58 PM

A. Wilson Combat
B. RIA

shoot both , pick the best one .Ya never know :)

NOTABIKER
08-18-2016, 9:03 PM
5 yards pistol
10 yards shotgun
25 yards rifle of your choice
most shooters and their pistols suck over 10 yards no matter how much it costs.
My 400 dollar SKS will make any pistol costing thousands look silly.at 25 yards or more
:D

CaFFeineSouLja
08-18-2016, 9:08 PM
I just didn't like the look of aftermarket grips installed on the RIA I had. They left a huge gap in front of the grip on the frame. Stock grips on the RIA don't show the gap but you can see it on that Citadel picture you posted.

Intel0116
08-18-2016, 9:10 PM
First, what is not true?

Second, longevity of production has little to do with reliability and more to do with demand as well as its' long term use by the military.

By your standard the firearm with longest running production is the most reliable and even the diehard 1911 fans, like myself, would not make that claim with a straight face.

The following is the part of your statement that I disagree with :
"Few, if any firearm, is in the same league as a Glock when it comes to their reputation for reliability."
Secondly its not so much about production as it is about reputation. If the gun was not reliable why would it of stayed in production? especially as a military side arm? So by your standard there's a demand for unreliable guns? Also, discounting the 1911's 75 years as the standard side arm of the United States military is a huge mistake. And its not 105 years of production, its 105 years of hard use, from range toy all the way up to war horse. The only thing the glock has going for it as far as reputation is that its issued by a large amount of law enforcement agencies throughout the United States, and is standard issue to a few military's (mostly countries that never fight wars). The 1911 was used by millions of service men in every war from WW1 to the modern battle fields of today, and is also in the holsters of many law enforcement agencies. To me, the gun that was dragged though mud, guts, blood, used as a hammer and kept chugging along, is a far superior option then a gun that is carried in a nice clean holster all day long and rarely gets fired. The 1911 is diehard battle proven, the glock not so much.
On a side note, the 2 glocks I currently own (17 and 19) do not reliable feed any type of hollow point ammo that I feed them. My 1911's I feed anything and everything and they work every time.

ar15robert
08-18-2016, 9:14 PM
My uncle has a compact RIA and i gotta say its great shooter and i have shot a RIA in 38 super that i thought was really great too.Both had zero issues over the weekend they were with me and my uncle goes every trip i havent seen one issue with his compact.

I have a colt 1991 commander which has been a very reliable and good shooting gun for the past 20 years i have had it.It has atleast a few thousand rounds thru it prob closer to 10k and all i have done was change a recoil spring recently.

I had a springfield loaded full size i bought around 2000-2001.Was very ammo picky and slide wouldnt close all the way at times it would hang up with about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch to go.It was a tight gun compared to my colt i finally got tired of it and gave it away to a friend of mine.I could have swapped the barrel and would have solved the problem it had a very tight chamber.

k1dude
08-18-2016, 9:23 PM
Because they don't have actual numbers. What does "thousands" of rounds mean? Does that mean 2,000 or does it mean 100,000?

They do have the actual numbers. They keep very detailed logs of rounds shot and repairs done to each weapon they have. IIRC, they will even share the numbers with you if you ask. Their observations and conclusions are based on actual empirical data.

captainsavaho
08-18-2016, 9:23 PM
How about buy 1911 THAT YOUR POCKETS
CAN truly AFFORD. OR SWIM IN DEBT in
Credit cards to buy and show of your 3 thousand
dollar 1911 that shoots the same at 10 yards!
👍👍👍👍

DArBad
08-18-2016, 9:44 PM

LOL. 1 of the Colts I used to own looks like it was made by Pashtuns in a cheap gun bazaar in the Pakistan/Afghanistan border.

When I mentioned how a RIA GI is so much better made for a much cheaper price, I got called out by rabid Colt fanatics in another forum, like I disrespected their mistress. No kidding.:D

Lead Waster
08-19-2016, 9:40 AM
People always say "The 1911 has been in hard use, through war and still works!".

That's misleading in that it's not saying that a particular gun lasted 100 years through wars, etc ... but the DESIGN has been around for 100 years. If a single sample of any design actually lasted 100 years and was hard used in war, then that's a huge credit to the design, the materials and the workmanship in making it. Probably some M1's fit this. Maybe some Mosins and enfields. Some shotguns too. But remember that most 1911s you but today were probably made a few months ago.

In anycase, the design is sold, and yes, the design is proven through a century of use. Can a particular manufacturers gun last 100 years (of use?) Most WWI and WWII 1911s are showpieces and not hard use guns (most).

NOTABIKER
08-19-2016, 7:52 PM
paying more for a custom 1911 is no guaranty it will out perform a less expensive 1911. A CNC machine never has a headache but a employee will .
I bought my RIA because it was what i could afford. I kept and shoot it because it looks and functions great. Labor in the Philippians is a fraction of what it is here. But that does not mean the people are not craftsman. It probably would cost 1,000 or more to build my RIA in America. I bet colt cuts more corners than rock Island.

BennyAdeline
08-19-2016, 8:13 PM
I get my RIA officers 1911 out of jail tomorrow. Can't wait!

Intel0116
08-19-2016, 8:43 PM
People always say "The 1911 has been in hard use, through war and still works!".

That's misleading in that it's not saying that a particular gun lasted 100 years through wars, etc ... but the DESIGN has been around for 100 years. If a single sample of any design actually lasted 100 years and was hard used in war, then that's a huge credit to the design, the materials and the workmanship in making it. Probably some M1's fit this. Maybe some Mosins and enfields. Some shotguns too. But remember that most 1911s you but today were probably made a few months ago.

In anycase, the design is sold, and yes, the design is proven through a century of use. Can a particular manufacturers gun last 100 years (of use?) Most WWI and WWII 1911s are showpieces and not hard use guns (most).

What are you talking about ? The GI models on todays market are pretty much the same as they were in WW1.
So like you said huge credit is owed to the 1911.

Leadingall
08-20-2016, 2:01 AM
My glock 17's feed it all, from my 1986 gen 1 to my ODG gen 4. Fun to shoot, more accurate than I am and I easily would trust my life to it at 25 yards.

funshine357
08-24-2016, 8:21 PM
I should buy a citadel 1911

http://i.imgur.com/6qrUlXR.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160825/4cf060b02e2ed9abc9ddb41dd5e7342d.jpg
I love my citadel.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

floyd7
08-24-2016, 9:37 PM
If a 1911 locks up well most would shoot better than you can. Fit and finish is worth a lot or we would all drive Kia's.

I sell Kia's at Galpin Kia, have you driven a Kia lately? 100x better than they used to be, the 2016 Optima was voted best mid size sedan by Car and Driver.

Wordupmybrotha
08-25-2016, 6:00 AM
Informative video by MrVocalFryandLongNeck. I hope my Npap wood stock doesn't break...

WMG
08-25-2016, 7:08 AM
Gaston Glock .... guy knew what it took when it came to marketing.
Probably could have sold ice cubes to the Eskimos.

j-shot
08-25-2016, 7:25 AM
paying more for a custom 1911 is no guaranty it will out perform a less expensive 1911. A CNC machine never has a headache but a employee will .
I bought my RIA because it was what i could afford. I kept and shoot it because it looks and functions great. Labor in the Philippians is a fraction of what it is here. But that does not mean the people are not craftsman. It probably would cost 1,000 or more to build my RIA in America. I bet colt cuts more corners than rock Island.

Not sure what you mean by "headache" but trust me, if it's mechanical (moving parts) it can / will break.

I have had the pleasure / displeasure of working with 3, 4, and 5 axis routers and mills.

BennyAdeline
08-25-2016, 7:28 AM
Mine has been out of jail a few days.

Fishslayer
08-25-2016, 8:20 AM
Gaston Glock .... guy knew what it took when it came to marketing.
Probably could have sold ice cubes to the Eskimos.

Massive blitz of free publicity when they were introduced didn't hurt.

"Can't be detected at airports!" :willy_nilly:

EVERYBODY knew what a Glock was. Brand recognition. It's why they can still sell Colts.

whipkiller
08-25-2016, 9:21 AM

You're gonna' need to step up to a Ruger pal.:D

Lead Waster
08-25-2016, 11:00 AM
What are you talking about ? The GI models on todays market are pretty much the same as they were in WW1.
So like you said huge credit is owed to the 1911.

Yes, the GI models on todays market are the same as they were in WW1, but they were MADE less than a year ago. My point was if you took a 1911 made in, say 1911 and used in those 100+ years, you wouldn't want to shoot it now. If took an IDENTICAL one that was made last week, then you could shoot that one no problem.

My point is that there is a difference between DESIGN and BLUEPRINTS of a model and a SPECIFIC SPECIMEN of a model. Like the wheel was invented say 500 years ago. A wheel from 5000 years ago is probably not safe to roll around, but one made yesterday to the exact same specs is fine.

crufflers
08-25-2016, 11:29 AM
My RIA Match FS compares just fine to my Springfield Loaded 9mm Target. Obviously shooting them is way different because of the calibers. The trigger is much better on the RIA. At $300 apart, and RIA offering nothing in 9mm on the roster, they are both great guns worth having IMHO. I could have been fine with the one RIA 1911, but it is NOT my favorite platform. The 9mm is beautiful and a fun range gun with a mediocre trigger.

BlueFalconer
08-25-2016, 11:34 AM
http://www.guns.com/review/gun-review-colt-1911/

Here's your 100 year old 1911 specimen.

Teachu2
08-25-2016, 11:48 AM
My RIA Match FS compares just fine to my Springfield Loaded 9mm Target. Obviously shooting them is way different because of the calibers. The trigger is much better on the RIA. At $300 apart, and RIA offering nothing in 9mm on the roster, they are both great guns worth having IMHO. I could have been fine with the one RIA 1911, but it is NOT my favorite platform. The 9mm is beautiful and a fun range gun with a mediocre trigger.

Towards the end of SSE1, I purchased three RIA Tactical 9mms. These are great shooters, and my only regret is that I only got three of them.

MrBlazito
08-25-2016, 12:43 PM

RIA 38 Super is on roster. Drop a 9mm barrel in and you're good to go.

crufflers
08-25-2016, 12:52 PM

I wonder what that one looks like parked and in nickel... probably a GI style gun.

superNoid
08-25-2016, 7:34 PM

Bad comparison. A Honda Civic, compared to real race cars is 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars less. A RIA 1911 is less than $1k less than some really good quality 1911s.

The truth of the matter is, if a $500 RIA 1911 can shoot as well and out last $1500 1911s ... the jig is up. It's ok to be salty if you spent more on a gun you are biased about, we won't beat you up over it.

Just don't compare a $1k difference in price/performance on a firearm to a performance sports vehicle.. that is downright silly.

aghauler
08-25-2016, 7:37 PM

Did it! Drop in conversion, works fine, found out you can use the 38 Super mags for 9mm instead of buying 9mm mags.

crufflers
08-25-2016, 10:24 PM
To be fair, you do not get the finish of some of the deep blued or stainless like my Loaded Target with a RIA, though admittedly I have not seen the nickel RIA's in person. Also much of the hand fitting and hand checkering is what you are paying for on the high end 1911, and of course the name. Sometimes you pay for an accuracy guarantee and the task and expense of wearing the slide and frame fit in with 250-500 rounds on your dime too. personally I'd be annoyed with a $2000+ gun that I had to wear in to acheive reliable function. I think the RIA Match is the Best Buy with hand fitted slide and match barrel, target sights etc... but the Tactical is pretty amazing for $450 or so. I've handled many Tacticals and never noticed a sloppy slide or bad trigger. At 1K out the door my Loaded is a nice looking nice shooting range gun but it doesn't even have front strap checkering... neither does the Loaded Operator series. They are all nice but I don't agree with people who say RIA is crap based solely on country of origin or price. They are nice 1911's. I also know people who say the TRP is not worth it compared to a Loaded. Everyone has an opinion but so few have all the guns they like to talk up or down. I guess if you are like me and the 1911 is not your holy grail platform they are all just 1911's.

mag88
08-26-2016, 11:34 AM
I love my RIA 38 Super. And I have the 9mm barrel to go with it. Do I think it's as good as a Colt, Springfield, or Sig? Definitely not. But it does what I need it to do and goes bang every time. And that's really what matters to me right now.

TylerTran
08-27-2016, 1:16 AM
Wow, the dude said glocks last the longest. Glock>1911 then?

MosinVirus
08-27-2016, 1:47 AM
I am a fan of both. Generally a thing made of more parts will be more prone to failure, however not all parts in both things are even made from the same material... so even that is a bad comparison... personally I really appreciate 1911s for how they handle my favorite round, and Glocks for easy they are to maintain (when my OCD flares up).

I don't know... I like both... and have had some issues with both.

santacruzgunner
08-27-2016, 8:29 AM
3rd row, 6th from left looks like a RIA GI!

Yup. Good eye

ct4surf
08-27-2016, 8:55 AM
So much butthurt! I own a Kimber Gold Match. I sold my RIA to buy it.

There is NOT enough difference to justify the additional spending on the Kimbers. The RIA is a fantastic 1911 for the price, I never had any complaints about them.

They are both range toys. My M&P40 is the gun I will go to 10/10 times when home defense is the objecive.

nitroxdiver
08-27-2016, 9:28 AM
Any of you guys been to Battlefield Vegas? It's great. Shooting there again this weekend actually. The amount of rounds their weapons go through is hard to actually wrap you head around. I don't get wrapped up in which weapon mfr lasts longest at their insanely high volume rental range. None of us will likely ever come close to these volumes of fire. Buy what you like. It'll likely out live you and your kid. Btw, this weekend I plan on renting an Fn f2000, an mp5sd, and a saw. Rock and roll.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

Domingo
08-27-2016, 4:23 PM
I buy guns as a hobby and for when I pass away to leave them to my son, I rather leave him a Dan wesson, Springfield, Kimber, Colt than a RIA nothing wrong with them, I just want to be remember by a nice gun. I have own RIA 1911 and they are nice guns but not what I want to leave my son

nitroxdiver
08-28-2016, 1:57 PM
Was out at battlefield Vegas today. Awesome as always. Got a nice behind the scenes tour of their vault area and armorer area.
To give some perspective on the volume of fire there, yesterday, a particularly busy Saturday, they burned through approx 90,000 rounds of 9mm. And no that's not a typo. They are an amazing group of knowledgeable and very respectful folks. Please pay them a visit if ever in Vegas. Oh, and they beat the **** outta their guns, but they all work great.

supermario
08-28-2016, 2:27 PM
I shot a F/A AK and my daughter shot the F/A MP5. It was fun but my daughter was very annoyed that the MP5 wouldn't get through 3 rounds before a malfunction. So she really didn't get to have the full affect. It was more like 3 fire burst. Fun time anyways. Next time we said we will ask for a new gun if that happens. We didn't even bother to ask.
I cant wait to visit there again though.

nitroxdiver
08-28-2016, 2:40 PM
That's too bad. They should have definitely swapped out with a fresh weapon and mag. They have so many mp5's in house it's not even funny.

lou95340
08-28-2016, 2:54 PM
Battlefield Vegas is the best. Stand up guys.

GW
08-28-2016, 7:23 PM
Wow.
This thread has wandered.

Beegee
08-28-2016, 7:35 PM
RIA 1911 are nice, but should covert my siaga or leave it stock, and also anybody drives uber here? Durant will playing with the warriors this season, talking about this season......whats the fishing report off moss landing? Annybody caught good size fishes there? Beacuse king crab is delicious! Wait......lets get back to the subject, hows that new engine? Lol

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

aghauler
08-28-2016, 8:27 PM
Wow.
This thread has wandered.

Yep :threadjacked: multi times:D

Lonestargrizzly
08-29-2016, 8:46 AM
How did this turn into a conversation about Honda's?

ChuckDizzle
08-29-2016, 9:11 AM
While I'm very happy with my RIA 1911 I have to say the above statement of "on par" is completely fallacious.

While they may go bang as often and as long as any number of higher end 1911 models and manufacturers they don't offer the same shooting experience. A shooting experience isn't all about going bang every time for a very long time, if it was we would all own Glocks and only Glocks (even though I own two Glocks as well).

The 1911 is an experience to shoot, it simply isn't even close to the most effective semi-auto pistol on the market, so there must be something more to it that draws people like myself and many others. It is simply a pleasure to shoot, and generally speaking, the more money you throw at one the more pleasurable the shooting experience becomes.

Lonestargrizzly
08-29-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm out.

crufflers
08-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Wow, the dude said glocks last the longest. Glock>1911 then?

That would just be someone's opinion. Do I think Glocks are better than 1911's? Yes.

I took a 19 gen3 out the same day I took my Springfield Loaded out for the first time and I was just as impressed with the G19, maybe more.

funshine357
08-29-2016, 1:03 PM
Am i seeing a pattern? People that own cheap cars own cheap guns? Haha!

I Swan
08-29-2016, 1:11 PM
People I have known including myself that have very large gun collections with nice guns sometimes do have basic cars. I drive a basic Nissan and plan on buying another one soon. I don't need to "floss" and impress my neighbors I just need a good fuel efficient reliable vehicle.

Also not having multiple expensive vehicles allows me to spend more on guns. I plan on paying cash for my next vehicle.

Kestryll
08-29-2016, 1:23 PM
How did this turn into a conversation about Honda's?

Damned if I know but we're back on 1911's now.

Lonestargrizzly
08-29-2016, 1:25 PM
Damned if I know but we're back on 1911's now.

Now I'm more confused because all the info I requested about Honda's and Kia's is gone! :confused:

Sunday
08-29-2016, 1:38 PM
Here's the thing that annoys me about 1911 snobs. The 1911 was never meant to have super tight tolerances with all parts being super snug. It's a military side arm where a certain amount of slop helped immensely with reliability. That's not to say tight tolerances are bad but they do have their disadvantages. I find ria stuff kind of hits the sweet spot between tolerance and reliability. Every company has their lemons and I can't deny ria can lack in quality control. Luckily their warranty can rectify those problems for the most part.

Clearances! tolerances are the allowed variations of the clearances,,, FYI

crufflers
08-29-2016, 2:56 PM
Am i seeing a pattern? People that own cheap cars own cheap guns? Haha!

Hey I may buy a Baer PII next, and actually shoot it... but if I still like my Glocks more I'll say so, even though I paid $2K for the Baer. Just my opinion, you don't have to agree.

My RIA and Springfield are a blast to take to the range.