PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best Buttstock for budget build! (+/- $60)

sierradump
09-27-2008, 7:21 PM
I have used the search feature and read all the newbie threads and seen lots of listed buttstocks, but there are just too many choices, on top of that, some of the threads are dated (old)!!!

I am building a 16" carbine using the Bushmaster Superlight w/ A2 upper. (also looking for opinions on this upper - for $380 seems like a good deal?)

What is currently considered the best quality stock for my money?

I am looking for a decent quality 6 position buttstock with buffer tube and all required pieces (buffer etc...) I read that they make different buffers for each type of rifle (carbine, mid-length etc...) so again I am building a carbine.

I hope to buy for around $60.

Thanks for any suggestions!

savasyn
09-27-2008, 7:34 PM
Check out Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/) and do a search there for AR collapsible stocks. They'll have a decent range of prices.

Honestly though, most of the cheap ones are fairly junky and you'd be better off springing the $90+ for something like a Magpul CRT. Of course, that assumes that you already have a milspec(vs commercial spec) buffer tube. All the cool stocks fit the mil spec carbine tube, so if you don't have one already, I recommend it. All in all, it's going to cost you more than $60 to be sure.

But you asked about the cheap stuff, so check out Midway and see what they have in your price range.

hk-p2000
09-27-2008, 7:52 PM
look into AR15.com just got one there Vltor Emod complete for 130 shipped.

big al
09-27-2008, 8:18 PM
tapco=$60.00

freakshow10mm
09-27-2008, 8:20 PM
Cheaper than dirt has them for $40-50. Work just fine.

stphnman20
09-27-2008, 8:21 PM
Also check out Botach.

Gator Monroe
09-27-2008, 8:22 PM
Used A1 trapdoor (Milsurp) Good/fair:confused: Condition How much ?

NSR500
09-27-2008, 8:36 PM
Cheapest I'd go is a Magpul MOE which are now out at the usual retailers.

FMJBT
09-27-2008, 8:40 PM
The Command Arms stock isn't too bad. The whole assembly with buffer tube, spring, and buffer normally runs about $80 - $90. It has a little bit of wiggle to it, but not as bad as most of the other cheap stocks.

sierradump
09-27-2008, 9:26 PM
I bought a 6 position AR type buttstock for my AK from TAPCO and it seems "cheap/loose"... It attaches to the rifle sturdy/strong, but the adjustable "butt" is a little loose on the shaft if that makes sense...

Can anyone confirm any of the suggested (above) 6 position buttstock that is nice and "solid"?

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS RIFLE PUT TOGETHER!!! But don't want to pick the wrong buttstock because I am in a hurry to finish!

Thanks for the suggestions!

ANY MORE?

tenbrook
09-27-2008, 9:30 PM
Magpul MOE

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magpul-MOE-Stock-Black-Standard-CTR-PRS-UBR-M93B_W0QQitemZ180293487531QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116

aplinker
09-28-2008, 1:13 AM
Best on a budget is a surplus M16 stock - still the best fixed stock.

If you want collapsible, Stag's complete stock set has a mil-spec tube with their carbine stock. Allows cheaper future upgrades.

I haven't handled an MOE (has anyone yet?) to compare to the CTR for how well it stays put.

I'd stay away from CAA (Command Arms) - their stuff is more gimmick than quality.

CTR & VLTOR are both very nice.

bombadillo
09-28-2008, 1:29 PM
I was in the same boat as you until 3 days ago, and got a stag mil-spec collapsible for the exact reason that UCLAplinker said above. You can get a CTR or MOE later on down the road. I cheaped out and went with stag cause I wanted the extra 50-60 bucks or so I would've spent on the ctr to buy ammo or other stuff. I figure if I start out with things that are decent, I won't get spoiled. I've been shooting a RRA elite comp with CTR and lots of toys so I already know what I'll be missing, but thats all right.

bwiese
09-28-2008, 1:34 PM
Problem with cheap stocks is that they may well have cheap 'buffer tubes' (receiver extensions) and cheap springs and buffers, etc.

Don't go complaining here if your rifle malfunctions.

If you want cheap & reliable, go get a regular USGI A2 stock. I think most folks shoot better w'em anyway.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 2:25 PM
Problem with cheap stocks is that they may well have cheap 'buffer tubes' (receiver extensions) and cheap springs and buffers, etc.

Don't go complaining here if your rifle malfunctions.

If you want cheap & reliable, go get a regular USGI A2 stock. I think most folks shoot better w'em anyway.

A2's are too long for most people, and the M16 stock is more comfortable/easier to shoulder.

It's also cheaper - as you can find them surplus for almost nothing.

sierradump
09-29-2008, 9:59 PM
Can someone point me to a reputable "usual place" that has the kit with a buffer tube and buffer? Or just a mil spec buffer tube w/ CARBINE buffer and spring???

I thought I was getting the buffer tube and buffer with the kit that I was looking at yesterday, but it was ONLY the stock.:mad:

Thanks!

NSR500
09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Can someone point me to a reputable "usual place" that has the kit with a buffer tube and buffer? Or just a mil spec buffer tube w/ CARBINE buffer and spring???

I thought I was getting the buffer tube and buffer with the kit that I was looking at yesterday, but it was ONLY the stock.:mad:

Thanks!

Look up at the "Banner Ads" at the top and pick a Calguns Vendor.

aplinker
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.calguns.net/Sponsors.html

I've had excellent dealings with everyone I've used on the list.

Also look at the bottom at the forum listings for sponsors (some are not on the sponsors page)

steve2071
09-30-2008, 3:52 PM
For a regular six-pos stock, buffer tube, and all the fixin's, you can't go wrong with Armalite's furniture kit for $68.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EG0270&Category=bf30b0f5-4eab-4198-837e-a98acead71b1%20&ret_url=Categories2.aspx?Category=bf30b0f5-4eab-4198-837e-a98acead71b1

veterosa
09-30-2008, 5:44 PM
Go to Centerfire Arms, they look reasonable with extra accessories. Good luck on the build.

AR Carbine Collapsible Shorty Stock and Ultramount with Integral 1" Rings - Part #STKAR101-PKGA
Price: $29.99

AR Carbine Collapsible Shorty Stock and TriRail Mount AR-15 Carry Handle - Part #STKAR101-PKGB

AR Carbine Collapsible Shorty Stock and Standard "Flat Top" See Thru Tactical Platform - Part #STKAR101-PKGC

6 Position AR Buffer Tube Assembly Part #AR-BUFASSY-6
Price: $34.99

Bruce3
09-30-2008, 6:56 PM
you should really think about saving up to get something you really want cause down the line you might end up buying it anyways. with that said Magpul CRT stocks are amazing!

aplinker
09-30-2008, 7:07 PM
you should really think about saving up to get something you really want cause down the line you might end up buying it anyways. with that said Magpul CRT stocks are amazing!

If he buys a carbine stock with a mil-spec tube he'd be good to go for the upgrade, and could sell the CAR stock for about $20.

Timberland
09-30-2008, 11:59 PM
If you want a good m4 stock RRA is quality check out ar15sales.com $69 shipped. But I have seen colapsable stocks come off at the range, A2/A1, will be sturdyer. BTW good choice on upper, youll enjoy the ballance, and this will be a very carry friendly rifle.

shark92651
10-01-2008, 9:57 AM
I haven't handled an MOE (has anyone yet?) to compare to the CTR for how well it stays put.

We received our MOE stocks yesterday and first impressions are very good. It lacks the locking lever and the metal bushing for the single-point sling mounts, but other than those features it is nearly identical to the original CTR. Even without the friction lock it is still a much tighter fit than the standard CAR stocks. We should have these on the website sometime today. Our price for stock only will be around $57, $108 for a complete assembly.

EDIT: It's on the site now http://riflegear.com/p-422-magpul-moe-original-equipment-carbine-mil-spec-stock-only.aspx

aplinker
10-01-2008, 8:26 PM
Thanks for the info, David.

Maybe this is a tough question, but in your opinion... seeing as it's $35 more than a Stag (mil-spec) kit and $40 less than the CTR kit, essentially splitting the difference, do you think the step up from the Stag M4 stock to the MOE is bigger or smaller than from the MOE to the CTR? Is it good enough to say you don't need to go CTR?

We received our MOE stocks yesterday and first impressions are very good. It lacks the locking lever and the metal bushing for the single-point sling mounts, but other than those features it is nearly identical to the original CTR. Even without the friction lock it is still a much tighter fit than the standard CAR stocks. We should have these on the website sometime today. Our price for stock only will be around $57, $108 for a complete assembly.

EDIT: It's on the site now http://riflegear.com/p-422-magpul-moe-original-equipment-carbine-mil-spec-stock-only.aspx