PDA

View Full Version : It has taken me... the dreaded BRD

Crusader
09-27-2008, 7:31 PM
Stay back! I may be contagious. I never thought I'd do it, but I've began the construction of my AR15. Honestly, a month ago I would have sworn my life that I would never purchase an AR, but here I stand with a mere 10 days to go until I pick up my Stag Lower.

Now, on to the typical AR questions that are asked literally thousands of times a day, that everyone always responds to with a "use the search button."

First off, price is a big concern for my build. $800 is probably going to be the maximum I can spend, so this rifle is going to end up really basic, but that's ok for me.

I will probably purchase a BB lock, as from what I can tell, they are the most convenient and cheapest mag locks around. However, from what I've read using the search button, high capacity magazines cannot be used with the BB installed. Is that true?

Next question. I need to purchase a good lower parts kit, and have heard good things about Double Star's lower kit. Anyone else have an opinion or suggestion?

Third and final question. I will need an upper assembly that probably doesn't exceed $400. Does anything of quality exist? Open-ended question on purpose. I don't know much about the gas assemblies or what rifling works best at 200-300 meters, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Frijolito1988
09-27-2008, 7:33 PM
No pre ban magazines on a " evil" build

you should check out DPMS LPK'S

and for about that price im spend $75 more and buy a stag flat top from riflegear

Crusader
09-27-2008, 7:38 PM
I'll look into it. I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of building an AR resembling what was used in Vietnam... triangle guards and such. Also, I'll probably do a mid length build as opposed to a carbine.

Frijolito1988
09-27-2008, 7:39 PM
yeah i think the vietnam era ones were full lenght 20'' search around and theres an online dealer selling uppers like that for a really good price

jandmtv
09-27-2008, 7:40 PM
No pre ban magazines on a " evil" build

you should check out DPMS LPK'S

and for about that price im spend $75 more and buy a stag flat top from riflegear

Thats some bad advice, I would read the recent threads about Stag products and the problems they seem to always have.

Invest in something els like CMMG, Armalite, or RRA.

09-27-2008, 8:04 PM
CMMG, RRA or Armalite are all good choices. I wouldn't rule Stag out either. I know several people who run a Stag (including myself) and have had absolutely no problems.

I have no experience with Del-Ton, but there are a lot of people on here that have used them and seem to be satisfied. Using them would keep you in your budget too. You have the lower and you can get a complete rifle kit through them for $465.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_s/1.htm

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 8:09 PM
that's the great thing about AR's, their modularity... don't like something now? or wanna upgrade... you're just a couple turns of a wrench away (oh, and an empty wallet)

EBR Works
09-27-2008, 8:21 PM
I'll look into it. I forgot to mention, I'm thinking of building an AR resembling what was used in Vietnam... triangle guards and such. Also, I'll probably do a mid length build as opposed to a carbine.

Kinda like this? Late 1960's Colt SP1 upper with 4x Colt scope on a Stag lower with bullet button & 10/20 mags. It has a RRA LPK with the NM trigger. Well worth the extra money for this trigger IMO. Since this photo was taken I have replaced the flash hider with the original 3 prong to make it retro correct.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/ar.jpg

rkt88edmo
09-27-2008, 9:04 PM
My condolences to your wallet

Crusader
09-27-2008, 9:16 PM
Impacto: Yeah, that's pretty much the exact rifle I am looking to build, although I may end up getting an adjustable stock due to its convenience.

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 9:18 PM
Kinda like this? Late 1960's Colt SP1 upper with 4x Colt scope on a Stag lower with bullet button & 10/20 mags. It has a RRA LPK with the NM trigger. Well worth the extra money for this trigger IMO. Since this photo was taken I have replaced the flash hider with the original 3 prong to make it retro correct.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/ar.jpg

Ahhh... My first AR-15... I thought it was the most beautiful rifle in the world --

Then immediately started to customize it!

stphnman20
09-27-2008, 9:18 PM
Impacto: Yeah, that's pretty much the exact rifle I am looking to build, although I may end up getting an adjustable stock due to its convenience.
Then I would just go with an M4 clone.

DB2
09-27-2008, 9:37 PM
I think the only thing worse than BRD, is retro BRD. You find your self digging through every little parts box at agun show looking for that "one" part.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/Rockink5/DSCI0062.jpg

I'm working on parts for 2 more now. A XM177e2 and a 607.

NuGunner
09-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Talk to pete from ar15sales.com you can get the lower parts kit, upper w/complete bolt assembly, a buttstock and 10 round magazine for about 680 shipped. Price includes shipping and there's no tax.