PDA

View Full Version : 8mm to .308 Mauser Conversion.

USMCM16A2
09-27-2008, 1:43 PM
Gents,

My Yugo M24/47 8mm to 7.62 NATO conversion is beginning to come together. I have the barrel a Norwegian Mauser contour in.308 the rifle arrives next week, and if all goes well it will be off to the gunsmith next weekend.
Anyway I have a question I bought the M24/47 specifically because after some research I was led to believe that it was a classic 98 Large ring. But I have also found from other sources that the rifle is an intermediate action. Just slightly shorter than a true K98 type action. So does this mean that there is a bit more to getting the rifle converted over to .308 (for those who might want to inform me of the difference between .308 vs 7.62 I already understand the difference, but thanks).
Is there more involved to the process?. Does some machining work need to be done on the barrel. Thanks, USMCM16A2

Sailormilan2
09-27-2008, 2:44 PM
Nothing special is needed. Basically, screw the barrel on, and headspace.

Pthfndr
09-27-2008, 6:19 PM
The intermediate action is still longer than a .308 Win requires (a short action), so you will be good to go. Your gunsmith will (should) know what to do.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-27-2008, 6:47 PM
Anyway I have a question I bought the M24/47 specifically because after some research I was led to believe that it was a classic 98 Large ring. But I have also found from other sources that the rifle is an intermediate action. Just slightly shorter than a true K98 type action.

The Yugo's did have some Czech VZ24 rifles that are full length actions, but these were refurbed to become M24/52c rifles. That might be where some of the confusion came from in your search.