PDA

View Full Version : Remington 7615p pump action 5.56mm?

Soylent Green
09-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Decided to do something with all of the old M-16 mags I got before the 2000 ban, so currently looking at the Remington 7615p rifle. Anyone on this board have one and what are your impressions? Pros? Cons?, etc.

Thanks

Tuesday is Soylent Green day

glockk9mm
09-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't have one, but I suggest you get a featureless AR and use them in that.

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Crudely made. I've had two -- have this one now --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/RemingtonsWide.jpg
HAd the same idea -- use C-mags and such -- just doesn't float my boat at the range --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/RemsCu.jpg

Waitong to return to Remington. It looks like a kid put the mag well on. Mags bind going in -- I keep hoping it will work -- just too much of a bastard, Better to make a PUMP AR-15

Of course, when Barack wins this may be the only 223 we can own...

DedEye
09-27-2008, 2:20 PM
Do as Glockk suggested and build a featureless AR/OLL.

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 2:28 PM
What about when all semi-autos are banned by The Dems next year?

-hanko
09-27-2008, 2:31 PM
I have 2 760's in .257 and .270. The .257 Roberts is superb for deer and antelope, the .270 for deer and elk. Both are fud/walnut/blue guns but they're lightweight and very accurate.

The new 7615 is an abomination...you DON'T need an AR carbine stock on the gun and you can get a much more effective platform for .223 with, for example, an AR. Remington supposedly came out with the 7615 thinking of LE agencies as the manor market focus...apparently some PD's feel an AR might upset the taxpayers:TFH::eek:

Avoid if at all possible.

-hanko

BroncoBob
09-27-2008, 2:51 PM

2 weeks

wilit
09-27-2008, 3:14 PM

All the more reason to buy one now so you can get grandfathered in. :cool:

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 3:56 PM
All the more reason to buy one now so you can get grandfathered in. :cool:

Next law will not allow grandfathering.
They've wised up to us.

DedEye
09-27-2008, 4:38 PM
They've wised up to us.

:banghead:

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 4:49 PM
Seriously -- buy and build what you want is if you KNEW that the meteor from DEEP IMPACT (not the one from that crappy ARMAGEDDON) was gonna hit in a month. Who cares if we can leave it to our kids? Get what you want now, and while you can. I don't trust ANY govt to protect my rights.

rix
09-27-2008, 4:49 PM
They've wised up to us.

:confused:

X-NewYawker
09-27-2008, 4:51 PM
The rifle stocked one I sold last year was finished better.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/7615-CU.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/7615-1.jpg

rix
09-27-2008, 4:56 PM
I say featureless with a MonsterMan grip. Make sure you've alot of ammo! 30rders have a tendancy to eat alot of ammo!:D

Soylent Green
09-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys on the semi-auto's, but that's not I'm looking for for the 5.56mm.

X-NY, did mag capability (20-30 rd.s) make any difference in the action binding while reloading? Heard that they work best with only 25rd.s loaded in the 30 rd mags? Also, did the one you sold function better than your current one?

Thanks.

DedEye
09-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys on the semi-auto's, but that's not I'm looking for for the 5.56mm.

X-NY, did mag capability (20-30 rd.s) make any difference in the action binding while reloading? Heard that they work best with only 25rd.s loaded in the 30 rd mags? Also, did the one you sold function better than your current one?

Thanks.

Why not go for the semi auto? If not a semi auto, why not a bolt gun? I don't see much benefit in going for a pump action over the former two choices.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 1:28 AM

Thanks.

If you're having magazine issues, rebuild them using better springs and Magpul followers.

I've shot the 7615... It was OK, but it didn't do anything that made me want to keep it. I'd much rather have one of these if I wanted to use AR hi-caps:

http://www.californiarifles.com/images/riflesthumb.jpg

http://monstermangrip.com/images/odgfde1_0txm.gif

technique
09-28-2008, 3:02 AM

They've wised up to us.

:kest::banghead: I don't even know what to say to you anymore.

OP, I recommend featureless AR.

windsheer
09-28-2008, 7:24 AM
Buy as many oll lowers as you can asap 5 minimum!!!

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 8:56 AM
If you want a clearly LEGAL gun buy the Remington. The pump worked fine (I only had old 20 rounders, no 30s) it just doesn't FEEL right to me. I haven't shot the one with teh pistol grip yet -- that may feel better.

TonyM
09-28-2008, 9:09 AM

They've wised up to us.

If you want a clearly LEGAL gun buy the Remington. The pump worked fine (I only had old 20 rounders, no 30s) it just doesn't FEEL right to me. I haven't shot the one with teh pistol grip yet -- that may feel better.

DUDE. Duuuuuude.

Stop opening mouth and spewing FUD.

As a writer for some publications, you owe it to yourself, and anyone that reads the rag that prints anything you write to have your information right.

For years I have thought that writers for car magazines and gun magazines had to know what they were talking about and the editors messed up all the details before going to press. Then with all the incorrect data and no large number of retractions/corrections in following issues I started thinking, "maybe they don't have a clue about what they write.". Now, I'm pretty sure you don't send your Calguns posts through an editor for approval and signoff, so thanks for proving I am correct.

You've been here long enough to have read all the details and know what is legal and what is not. You should well know that the likelyhood of a sweeping ban w/o anyone grandfathered is about 0.01%.

If you really don't know these things, then please start paying attention to all the information around you while you are on the board.

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 9:48 AM
You know -- the guy wants advice on a clearly, OTC California legal rifle and you jump right in and push your homemade BB OLLs like clockwork. Maybe he would like a gun they won't come after? Maybe building an OLL doesn't make evryone feel secure. You talk about writing for magazines? You know how many manufacturers of OLL parts have asked me NOT to put their products in an article because they don't want Added DOJ attention -- would they care if "the war was over?"

I'm surprised after living in this state the two of you can be so Pollyannish about gun laws.

Learn the difference between compliant and legal.

And then shut the hell up.

I am entitled to my opinion.

Grow up.

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 9:58 AM
BTW -- if this situation on legality was so clear -- why suggest in every other thread that you should bring the flow chart with you to the range? That you should be prepared for some idiot LEO to "maybe" arrest you, but don't worry they'll have to let you out.

I'm not spreading FUD -- you people are. You want a guy to build a rifle that he has to fear, and be uncertain about it's legality when he takes t o the range.

I know my guns are compliant.
I also know that I may have to defend that in court. Those who don't want to take that risk (or have the money to) MIGHT -- just might -- want something other than your holy OLL.
So instead of crapping on any other rifle, endeavor to give your most accurate appraisel of his choices.

"Go build an OLL" isn't an answer. It's your mantra.

technique
09-28-2008, 9:59 AM
You know -- the guy wants advice on a clearly, OTC California legal rifle and you jump right in and push your homemade BB OLLs like clockwork. Maybe he would like a gun they won't come after? Maybe building an OLL doesn't make evryone feel secure. You talk about writing for magazines? You know how many manufacturers of OLL parts have asked me NOT to put their products in an article because they don't want Added DOJ attention -- would they care if "the war was over?"

I'm surprised after living in this state the two of you can be so Pollyannish about gun laws.

Grow up.

:TFH::rolleyes::TFH::rolleyes::TFH::rolleyes:

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 10:00 AM
And if you think there's a "1% chance" of a gun law that would forbid grandfathering, ask some friends in Australia or England if they got to grandfather their guns.

God forbid Hussein wins, and some Southern boy shoots him, VP Biden would go directly to their stated goal of "Mr & Mrs. america, hand them in."

technique
09-28-2008, 10:02 AM
This is CA X-NewYawker, we are ECO friendly here.....Please stop polluting!!!!!

TonyM
09-28-2008, 10:05 AM
BTW -- if this situation on legality was so clear -- why suggest in every other thread that you should bring the flow chart with you to the range? That you should be prepared for some idiot LEO to "maybe" arrest you, but don't worry they'll have to let you out.

I'm not spreading FUD -- you people are. You want a guy to build a rifle that he has to fear, and be uncertain about it's legality when he takes t o the range.

"you people" ? There's plenty of information on this site about the risks of OLLs. If you read a little more, and posted a little less, you might have seen this information.

I am not telling him to buy anything from anyone. I'm asking you to quit the stories of futurebans.

I know my guns are compliant.
I also know that I may have to defend that in court. Those who don't want to take that risk (or have the money to) MIGHT -- just might -- want something other than your holy OLL.
So instead of crapping on any other rifle, endeavor to give your most accurate appraisel of his choices.

"Go build an OLL" isn't an answer. It's your mantra.

Again, see my comment above, the information about being ready to legally defend yourself from one of the infamous 58 is all over this site and we've been discussing it for YEARS, not just a few months.

People should buy anything they want, but adding in speculation that is coming from nowhere about how a ban is coming and going to make you surrender your weapons..... Who needs to "grow up" now?

Kestryll
09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
In case you missed the last three years, we've been the ones making them CHANGE those laws.
It's not 'Pollyanna', it's history, knowing the l;aw and knowing what has already been accomplished.
Many here that you are so casually dismissing are the ones that were IN the meetings when things were being drafted or debated, their understanding of the current, recent and former laws equals or exceeds the DOJ's.

An excellent idea, I would suggest you follow your own advice.

Grow up.
You are entitled to your opinion, you can even share it here.
What you CAN NOT do is post rude statements like this, I expect to NEVER see a comment like this again.
Is this clear?

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
They went to the "you write for magazines, you should know better." that sounded like an attack to me. My back gets up when I an attacked for giving my opinion. I felt the comments about a new york accent were personal. I did not want to get personal, but I am tired of being accused of ignorance of the law because I understand it but still have concerns. Sorry if I offended anyone. .

Kestryll
09-28-2008, 10:26 AM
They went to the "you write for magazines, you should know better." that sounded like an attack to me.
It's not an attack, it's more an expectation of knowledge.
Anyone who writes for any kind of magazine is generally expected to have a solid base of knowledge in that subject.
It's not always a reasonable expectation, I am quite sure that authors from 'Handguns Magazine' get questions about C&R rifles that they do not know the answer to. It's out of their field of endeavor.
But the expectation is there because as an author they have to project at least some of that or they lose credibility.

My back gets up when I an attacked for giving my opinion. I felt the comments about a new york accent were personal.
It was uncalled for and has been removed.
I did not want to get personal, but I am tired of being accused of ignorance of the law because I understand it but still have concerns. Sorry if I offended anyone. .
You are welcome to have your concerns, we all do, but you have to realize that not everyone will share those concerns, especially here.
We have spent years, tremendous effort and a fairly large amount of money to directly affect the laws here for the better. We work with the same Attorneys that the NRA uses, several of the members who discuss and explain the legalities are attorneys who fight these laws and make case law in the California Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit Court and beyond.
The amount of legal knowledge here is staggering and we've been working with them for years.

This history makes most here not that likely to share those concerns, this doesn't invalidate them for you but it does mean that people will be less inclined to agree with them.

Soylent Green
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok, this is getting a bit much. I asked a couple of simple questions about the Remington 7615p, not semi-autos, home builds, grey area conversions, etc.

For the record:

1. I wanted to know about the pros & cons of the Remington 7615p pump action.

2. As an aside, I lived in NY city when the semiauto ban passed for the city and had to sell out of state my target match AR-15 at a rather large loss. So I understand why 'X-NY' may think that the next ban (if BHO wins, Allah forbid ;)) will have no grandfathering.

3. My wife is from Australia and there is a strong possibility that we will have to take over the family business in the next 3 - 4 years. I will be able to take a pump action (and the Remington 7615p is on the approved list per the OZ embassy), I will not be able to take any semi-autos, home builds, OLLs or otherwise. Hopefully no other personal information is required to get some simple answers to my questions which are......

4. I wanted to know about the pros & cons of the Remington 7615p pump action.

Thanks! :)

Tuesday is Soylent Green day

technique
09-28-2008, 11:52 AM
My opinion of the Remington 7615p pump action is.....so so. Remington IMO makes a great pump shotgun, but I for one am not impressed with ergonomics/accuracy of the 7615p. Shooting it is awkward to say the least.

I chose not to buy one over the other options we have to own here. However it may be the only choice you have with your moving situation.

chsk9
09-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I hear the weather is nice in Australia.....

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 1:47 PM
And if you think there's a "1% chance" of a gun law that would forbid grandfathering, ask some friends in Australia or England if they got to grandfather their guns.

God forbid Hussein wins, and some Southern boy shoots him, VP Biden would go directly to their stated goal of "Mr & Mrs. america, hand them in."

Not to beat this dead horse but Obama was just on TV minutes ago making an angry speech about how John McCain ruined the economy and CNN had a crawl down the side with "what he stands for" and among the tax cuts for those who don't pay taxes and free health care was:

Believes in extending Assault weapon ban

and

Believes in one gun a month.

leelaw
09-28-2008, 2:42 PM
Well prior, Obama stated that he wanted to ban all semi-automatic weapons.

Gosh, we should only buy bolt-action and pump-action because there's a super tiny chance that something similar to his wishes could come to be, right? Disregarding that seizure without compensation, or banning without grandfathering isn't legal, that sounds like a good idea.

I work with things beyond a reasonable doubt. I've gotta say that a fraction of a percentage doesn't disrupt a reasonable doubt, in my mind.

To the OP - get an OLL if you want to. If you really want to (WANT to, not feel pressured into) get the pump.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 3:03 PM
I would suggest there are better firearms out there for your money.

I didn't find it enjoyable to shoot or particularly fast and easy to do so. Ergonomically it wasn't very good as a "semi-auto" replacement. It's perfectly serviceable as a slow fire hunting rifle (which, since its point is to use AR mags isn't quite right anyways).

Is your concern about semi-autos, AR-style rifles, or ?

If I were avoiding semi-autos I'd buy a bolt gun. If I were avoiding AR-style rifles, but wanted to use the mags, I'd buy a Kel Tec or the Volquartsen.

Not to beat this dead horse but Obama was just on TV minutes ago making an angry speech about how John McCain ruined the economy and CNN had a crawl down the side with "what he stands for" and among the tax cuts for those who don't pay taxes and free health care was:

Believes in extending Assault weapon ban

and

Believes in one gun a month.

Can you please leave political banter to the appropriate forum. It's more than enough to simply state "political issues" as being a reason to consider another firearm and keep the details elsewhere.

When every thread becomes yet another cesspool of politicraps it gets old.

X-NewYawker
09-28-2008, 3:11 PM
What about a lever action? 357 with ten shots or more.

I only mentioned Obama because he literally was talking about this on TV when I was posting and people were saying that this was a bad choice because the OP was worried about laws --

BaronW
09-28-2008, 8:34 PM
I read a review in a recent issue of a gun rag - I think it was Guns & Weapons for LE or Special Weapons of LE, something like that - and the guy got positively terrible groups, even with Black Hills match ammo. I'm talking better-off-with-a-ruger groups. I'll have to see if I can find the issue and get the exact numbers, but it was bad enough for me to never consider that gun.

+1 for a .357 lever action. My 20" M92 can hold 10 .357 or 12 .38spl

Toolbox X
09-28-2008, 11:46 PM
It really bothers me when people immediately jump to all kinds of conclusions and assumptions, and start telling people all kinds of crap.

I've been looking into getting a 7615P myself lately. I already own 9 built AR's and way too many stripped lowers. And I also own enough zombie killing rifles to outfit many many people.

I am looking into a 7615P because it looks like a lot of FUN to me. I absolutely LOVE pump shotguns, especially my 870. The 7615P looks like it would be a whole lot of fun for people that like the 870 pump action. 30 pump rounds without reloading sounds fantastic compared to the 8+1 of my 870, and being able to reload with a simple mag change sounds great!

If the 7615P isn't reliable or isn't accurate, that would be awesome info to know. I'm very interested as well. So guys, please stop hijacking this guy's thread and using as your personal soapbox.

Run&Gun
09-29-2008, 2:00 AM
i own one of these rifles and i love it. never had a problem with it and its very accurate. i have several ar types and i will never sell my 7615. not sure what area your in but theres a shop in sacramento that has a couple of them on display.

Run&Gun
09-29-2008, 2:02 AM
i have shot out to 300 yards with it at basketball sized target with out any problems. (with iron sights)

aplinker
09-29-2008, 3:25 AM
The one I shot functioned fine. It was the ergonomics and usability I didn't care for. It was minute-of-bad-guy accurate - we were in the desert and shooting offhand at paper plates at 100yds. We did better with other rifles. The sight radius was probably the biggest problem. It's also a penciled barrel, so mag dumps maybe didn't help either.

Follow-up shots were slower, too - .223 recoil is nothing so normally this is quick, but the pumping moved it a lot more. In a SG you're shooting at closer targets and have more recoil, so you rarely (if ever) notice it - I don't mind a pump shotgun at all.

What I really didn't like was having to drop my right hand a lot from its grip to reach the mag release to be able to reload. Made it a bit slow. I suppose with more time I could've come up with a fix, but I just didn't like the rifle. It felt wrong.

I almost forgot - it felt really long for some reason. It's not like it's a long barreled rifle, but it felt clumsy.

My buddy who owned it pretty much decided to sell it that weekend.

It was the rifle stocked version - the PG one might be better.

Now I'm tired of typing. For your benefit I wrote all that, Grant. :p

Get a pump .22lr if you want a pump :D

It really bothers me when people immediately jump to all kinds of conclusions and assumptions, and start telling people all kinds of crap.

I've been looking into getting a 7615P myself lately. I already own 9 built AR's and way too many stripped lowers. And I also own enough zombie killing rifles to outfit many many people.

I am looking into a 7615P because it looks like a lot of FUN to me. I absolutely LOVE pump shotguns, especially my 870. The 7615P looks like it would be a whole lot of fun for people that like the 870 pump action. 30 pump rounds without reloading sounds fantastic compared to the 8+1 of my 870, and being able to reload with a simple mag change sounds great!

If the 7615P isn't reliable or isn't accurate, that would be awesome info to know. I'm very interested as well. So guys, please stop hijacking this guy's thread and using as your personal soapbox.

Toolbox X
09-29-2008, 9:23 AM
Thanks Will. I appreciate the input! I'm going to see if I can find a way to test one out before I buy.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't shot one myself (nor would I really care to do so), but from what I've read about it, it has one reason for its existence: to sell it to PD's that are too concerned about their department's image to arm their LEO's with a "military looking" EBR. That's it. It's purely a child of a percieved PR problem of putting AR's in the hands and cruisers of LEO's.

It probably functions just fine, for a pump action rifle, or Remington wouldn't be out there hawking it to PD's.

One last thought, for XNY, in MHO there is no difference between "legal" and "compliant." None at all. As we all know, you can be arrested by an ignorant LEO for lots of things, firearms related and otherwise, but that fact does not mean that something that is "compliant" with the CA AW law is somehow less legal than something that is "legal." The ignorant LEO can just as easliy arrest you for a FAB or a Carbon 15 as for a BB/OLL build. You'll be just as arrested, either way, and the only difference will be the sealed magwell, that's just as "legal" in CA as a BB maglocked OLL. Good luck with waving an approval letter or a copy of the state regs or what have you in the face of the LEO determined in his or her ignorance to run you in. You're going to jail, regardless, again IMHO.

The CA "detachable magazine" laws and regs are clear, even if less than sensible. If you need a tool to detach the magazine from the firearm, then the firearm is not capable of accepting a detachable magazine, because NO magazines are, when used with that firearm, "detachable." End of story.

:)

Toolbox X
09-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I haven't shot one myself (nor would I really care to do so), but from what I've read about it, it has one reason for its existence: to sell it to PD's that are too concerned about their department's image to arm their LEO's with a "military looking" EBR. That's it. It's purely a child of a percieved PR problem of putting AR's in the hands and cruisers of LEO's.

I don't care why it exists. It looks fun to me. I just really enjoy pump action and lever action rifles.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't care why it exists. It looks fun to me. I just really enjoy pump action and level action rifles.

You just hit on one of the sales points Remington is using to market this rifle to the PD's - - that it works just like the 870's their officers already know and love. No learning curve.

I also agree that if it's something that lights you up, by all means, go for it! FWIW, the article I read on it in one or another of the gun mags said it was a good and accurate shooter.

Soylent Green
10-02-2008, 7:07 PM
Thank you all for your inputs. A friend's son just bought one this week and he's going to let me take it for a test drive after he breaks it in, so that's a plus to try it first hand.:cool2:

AlexDD
10-02-2008, 8:14 PM
"FWIW, the article I read on it in one or another of the gun mags said it was a good and accurate shooter."

Here is the link to that article with the more positive spin:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/rs_threekind_200808/

PS They retail around over $700, but there is a seller on Gunbroker who has them starting at $500 and ships to CA.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111976813

M. Sage
10-02-2008, 9:15 PM
The one I shot functioned fine. It was the ergonomics and usability I didn't care for. It was minute-of-bad-guy accurate - we were in the desert and shooting offhand at paper plates at 100yds. We did better with other rifles. The sight radius was probably the biggest problem. It's also a penciled barrel, so mag dumps maybe didn't help either.

Follow-up shots were slower, too - .223 recoil is nothing so normally this is quick, but the pumping moved it a lot more. In a SG you're shooting at closer targets and have more recoil, so you rarely (if ever) notice it - I don't mind a pump shotgun at all.

What I really didn't like was having to drop my right hand a lot from its grip to reach the mag release to be able to reload. Made it a bit slow. I suppose with more time I could've come up with a fix, but I just didn't like the rifle. It felt wrong.

I almost forgot - it felt really long for some reason. It's not like it's a long barreled rifle, but it felt clumsy.

My buddy who owned it pretty much decided to sell it that weekend.

It was the rifle stocked version - the PG one might be better.

Now I'm tired of typing. For your benefit I wrote all that, Grant. :p

Get a pump .22lr if you want a pump :D

I don't have experience with the 7615, but I have experience with its parent, the 760.

My father hunts deer with a 760 in .300 Savage, and has slaughtered the things with it. The platform is capable of accurate shots, that's for sure. I did find the pump action to be a bit awkward, though, and the U notch rear sight and short sight radius are crap. The iron sights are actually worse than the sights on an AK IMO, which is saying a lot.

For the money, I'd rather build an off-list AR.

Function-wise, it's technically the same as a shotgun, but I'll rack a shotgun as I'm in recoil, and bring the bead back down on target as I close the chamber on the next round. It's natural, and the movement is kind of complimentary. With a rifle caliber, especially .223, you're not going to have that, you're going to have more movement from working the action than you will from recoil.

I'd almost rather have a lever rifle...

Toolbox X
10-03-2008, 6:59 AM
What does it take to put a rail for optics on the 7615P?

-hanko
10-03-2008, 5:52 PM
"FWIW, the article I read on it in one or another of the gun mags said it was a good and accurate shooter."

Here is the link to that article with the more positive spin:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/rs_threekind_200808/
Alex, are you saying you've EVER read a less than flattering review in a gun magazine?? They survive on advertising, panning a gun may directly effect income.;)

-hanko

MadMex
10-03-2008, 5:56 PM
What does it take to put a rail for optics on the 7615P?
A couple of years ago I begged for and worked with PRI to fab this one:

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=02-7615-2&Category_Code=PRI_TAC_BASES

Many thanks to the great folks at PRI.

MadMex
10-03-2008, 6:16 PM
Me like.
She no like short stroke.

Final build.
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3833/7615pmodsks3.th.jpg (http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7615pmodsks3.jpg)http://img377.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Off the shelf, Remi, dog food loads, 5 shots, 50 yrds, indoors.
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6325/imgp0760lp3.th.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp0760lp3.jpg)

M. Sage
10-03-2008, 6:47 PM
This would make it a folding stock below the 30" limit but since it is not semi-auto would still be greater than 24". I am sure there could be some debate on legality, but that could make it the shortest most compact allowable rifle that takes high cap AR magazines within CA?

I thought minimum length was 28"?

-hanko
10-03-2008, 7:06 PM
I thought minimum length was 28"?
26" per federal law...measuring the stock fully extended.

26" per CA law (no AW 30" rule) with the stock collapsed.

-hanko

AlexDD
10-03-2008, 7:52 PM
Hank,

Thanks for the info. I should have re-read the Gun Wiki and researched the codes before I posted. So much to learn.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCalifornia

"All semi-automatic rifles must be no shorter than 30" in their minimum configuration. Rifles which are not semi-automatic must have a minimum length of 26". If you have a collapsible stock, measure the rifle with the stock collapsed (see the Rooney case for reference on this). If your rifle is below the minimum length, then it is an assault rifle regardless of whether its "feature list" is compliant with the law. Note that a rifle less than 26" long is also a Federal felony. "

Fed Law

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00005845----000-.html

PS Does anyone know the CA code section location for non-semi rifles?

aplinker
10-03-2008, 8:03 PM
2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled
rifle" means any of the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than
26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by
alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon,
as modified, has an overall length of less than 26
inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(D) Any device which may be readily restored
to fire a fixed cartridge which, when so restored, is a
device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive.
(E) Any part, or combination of parts, designed
and intended to convert a device into a device defined
in subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, or any
combination of parts from which a device defined in
subparagraphs (A) to (C), inclusive, may be readily
assembled if those parts are in the possession or under
the control of the same person.

Hank,

Thanks for the info. I should have re-read the Gun Wiki and researched the codes before I posted. So much to learn.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalCalifornia

"All semi-automatic rifles must be no shorter than 30" in their minimum configuration. Rifles which are not semi-automatic must have a minimum length of 26". If you have a collapsible stock, measure the rifle with the stock collapsed (see the Rooney case for reference on this). If your rifle is below the minimum length, then it is an assault rifle regardless of whether its "feature list" is compliant with the law. Note that a rifle less than 26" long is also a Federal felony. "

Fed Law

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00005845----000-.html

PS Does anyone know the CA code section location for non-semi rifles?

2fast4u
01-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I two was looking at getting one of the 7615's these are the things
I'm looking for.

1.Cal. Legal
2.Simi Auto or maybe this pump.
3. something that has maybe a 10 Rd. mags.
4.Something that is cheeper to shot like .223
5.Something that is more like a Tac. rifle.
6.Something that can be reloaded fast/Not Locked in mags.
7.Well made.

What do you guys think. Any info would be great. Photos are great to :-)

OrovilleTim
01-17-2009, 6:27 PM
Well, staying with the original tangent of the thread (not the constant "just get an AR" banter,) I have a 7615 with the Knoxx stock.

I bought it for my son as I wanted a 223 for him, but not a semi-automatic. I find my self enjoying the gun quite a bit.

It came with a 10 round magazine, and the rounds last a little bit longer in this rifle then the semi-autos. It's very comfortable, and while I've never had a problem shooting it, my son seems to get shells caught up in it.

He's a lefty, and is still young. He just hasn't worked out a good pump action yet, and I thought it was a problem with the gun. But when I use it, as mention, I never have a problem.

I got mine for $660 as nobody was buying them and the store was blowing them out. I was also going to get the camo and the wood stock version all at once. But, I only had them hold the tactical one. When I came back, the other two sold and I should have had them hold all three. Great shooting rifles that are good to put in the hands of someone learning how to shoot that you don't want to make go through bolt cycling. I don't like to just hand out semi-autos, and I prefer my kids have to work a little between each shot to not get into that "pull it until empty" mindframe.

gotgunz
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I too have been exploring the idea of getting one of these but I would definately want to shoot one before purchasing.

Rudolf the Red
04-11-2009, 3:15 PM
I am going to buy one for the following reasons.

1) I have 8 30rd and 6 20rd legal AR mags from before my Colt Sporter was stolen.
2) I have an OLL, a lower trigger group, and buttstock assembly but do not want to deal with the rest of it. Too much time.
3) I want to hedge future changes in Federal and/or California law.
4) I get it for wholesale + tax. :)
5) I've already had an AR type in my life but have never had a pump rifle and have only fired a pump sg about 10 times. In other words, it looks fun.