PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP!!!! FLASH HIDER REMOVAL!!!

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 9:56 AM
I NEED HELP FAST! PURCHASED TwO UPPERS WITH FAKE SUPPRESSORS. ONE CAME WITH , suppressor on it that u can screw and unscrew off, the other came with a flash hider that i can"t for the life of me unscrew, and the can seperate?? which was supposed to arrive attached to barrel. how the hell do i take the flash hider off to screw on the fake can. please email me with some feedback. stonewoe@aol.com

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 9:59 AM
I NEED HELP FAST! PURCHASED TwO UPPERS WITH FAKE SUPPRESSORS. ONE CAME WITH , suppressor on it that u can screw and unscrew off, the other came with a flash hider that i can"t for the life of me unscrew, and the can seperate?? which was supposed to arrive attached to barrel. how the hell do i take the flash hider off to screw on the fake can. please email me with some feedback. stonewoe@aol.com

creampuff
09-27-2008, 10:02 AM
What platform are we talking about ?

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
M 4 SPIKES TACTICAL OPERATOR UPPER. CAR 1 CAN.

SJgunguy24
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
What kind of rifle?

Ronco
09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Try heating it up a bit. Waive the flame from a propane torch over it. Should work.

Disclaimer:
Do this only if you will maintain legal CA length!

Don't break the law.

moulton
09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
M 4 SPIKES TACTICAL OPERATOR UPPER. CAR 1 CAN.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/2/2f/111capsno9sv.jpg

Is the break/flash hider pinned and welded or just on there really tight?

redcliff
09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
If it's an M4 barrel, it has a flash hider permanently silver solderred on to be legal length doesn't it?

You should call Spikes and discuss what you have versus what you want with them.

hybridatsun350
09-27-2008, 11:32 AM
If it's an M4 barrel, it has a flash hider permanently silver solderred on to be legal length doesn't it?

Well, it could be a 16" M4 profile barrel.

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 11:43 AM
hey man i have no clue, i ordered it from spiketactical.com . they got the order right on one upper and the other has the flash hider unmoveable on it with the fake can in a seperate bag, it was supposed to come with no flash hider and can installed?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/2/2f/111capsno9sv.jpg

Is the break/flash hider pinned and welded or just on there really tight?

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
what do u suggest

hey man i have no clue, i ordered it from spiketactical.com . they got the order right on one upper and the other has the flash hider unmoveable on it with the fake can in a seperate bag, it was supposed to come with no flash hider and can installed?

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 11:47 AM
ahhh crap i was hoping i wouldn't have to do that, i'm in california, looks like they screwed up my order on the operator upper, and i'll proabably have to send it back and than wait forever for it to arive in mail. ****!!!!! can a gunsmith get that flash hider off, and how much would it cost, any home remeides to getting it off!!!! i'm going to post a pic of what it looks like.

You should call Spikes and discuss what you have versus what you want with them.

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 11:56 AM
ahhh crap i was hoping i wouldn't have to do that, i'm in california, looks like they screwed up my order on the operator upper, and i'll proabably have to send it back and than wait forever for it to arive in mail. ****!!!!! can a gunsmith get that flash hider off, and how much would it cost, any home remeides to getting it off!!!! i'm going to post a pic of what it looks like.

yes, a gunsmith can get that flash hider off... the problem is, is that if that barrel is a 14.5" barrel with a perm-attached flash hider, it's perm-attached for a reason. once you remove that FH it becomes a SBR. you'll have to determine if that's the case.

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 12:00 PM
just checked their site... looks like they only offer the Operator upper with a 16" barrel. don't know why they would perm-attach it on there.
can you see the discoloration on the FH where they may have perm-attached it?
and last but not least, ummmm... righty-tighty lefty-loosey...

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:01 PM
it was a custom order on an upper as well. if it has to go back man its going be a pain in the *** royaly

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
the flash hider appears to be dinged up, major lube in that bolt???? don't really see discoloration but its quite dinged up , i'll have a pic up in a couple mins. thanks bro

just checked their site... looks like they only offer the Operator upper with a 16" barrel. don't know why they would perm-attach it on there.
can you see the discoloration on the FH where they may have perm-attached it?
and last but not least, ummmm... righty-tighty lefty-loosey...

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:13 PM
ok the sd1 arrived cool with can, see my problem with the operator upper.
any feedback appreciated so i can solve this problem

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/stonewoe/2.jpg

see how they gave me can seperate when it should have been installed. is that flash hider permanetly fixed to the barrel, how do u get that off

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/stonewoe/untitled-2.jpg

by the way these rifles are so damn awesome, they just screwed up on that flash hider crap part, that launcher, wow, sweet baby. i need this thing off though, it's bugging me.

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 12:17 PM
check out this link: http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-vortex.jpg
or http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-attach.jpg
does your flash hider have any of these marks on it. i doubt they perm-attached the FH on there. just use a wrench to twist it off if there are no marks like that on there. wrap the FH with something if you don't want to mar it up, or just twist it off.

redcliff
09-27-2008, 12:19 PM
We'd need a closeup of the flash hider (and good lighting, focus and resolution) to tell.

Do you see a spot on your flash hider that looks like this:
http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-vortex.jpg

Depending upon where you're located, you could take it to AR15barrels and he'll make it all better.

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 12:20 PM
If the upper with the flash suppressor has a 14.5" barrel, the flash suppresor is probably permanent attached.
You would have to send it to someone like me to have the permanent muzzle device machined off.

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:27 PM
no marks at all on fh like the ones u put up. let me find a wrench . thanks guys

THE 0NE
09-27-2008, 12:31 PM
we have a gunsmith who can do it for you 650-960-3006

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
no wrench here its at work, about to rip off my hands trying o take it off with my hands, so i'll do it later, i can't see any of those soldiering marks at all on the fh. so hopefully all i need is a wrench.

We'd need a closeup of the flash hider (and good lighting, focus and resolution) to tell.

Do you see a spot on your flash hider that looks like this:
http://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-vortex.jpg

Depending upon where you're located, you could take it to AR15barrels and he'll make it all better.

aplinker
09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I am on my phone and can't tell size. Measure from the back (stock side) of the forearm to the end of the hider. If it's over 15.5" then it's not permanent

If it is under then it's permanent.

If perm send it back

Otherwise try a penetrating lube and don't wuss out

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:35 PM
how much and where at

we have a gunsmith who can do it for you 650-960-3006

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:35 PM
ok i'll do that

I am on my phone and can't tell size. Measure from the back (stock side) of the forearm to the end of the hider. If it's over 15" then it's not permanent

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 12:38 PM
no marks at all on fh like the ones u put up. let me find a wrench . thanks guys

huh? what were you trying to use before when you tried to take it off? your kung fu grip?

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:40 PM
yeah using my cobra ninja kung fu grip, go figure ha, thats proabably why i can't get that thing off. the can on the sd just screwes right on and off. hmmm by the way where on this site can i find a used detachable carry holder for ar-15 and rail detachable riser. thanks

huh? what were you trying to use before when you tried to take it off? your kung fu grip?

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
probably cus there's more area for you to grip... use a wrench and that thing should screw right off.

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
??? can u be more specific

If perm send it back

Otherwise try a penetrating lube and don't wuss out[/QUOTE]

aplinker
09-27-2008, 1:05 PM
I need to know if your barrel is over 16"

If it's not then the fh is permanent

If it is then you need a wrench

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 1:10 PM
??? can u be more specific

If perm send it back

Otherwise try a penetrating lube and don't wuss out[/QUOTE]

if it is under then it's permanent.- YES, this is to follow SBR laws.

if perm send it back.- YES, if what you ordered was a 16" barrel and didn't request a perm-attach FH.

penetrating lube and don't wuss out- depends, the upper is brand new so it shouldn't require any penetrating lube, just a little bit of strength and THE PROPER TOOL.

hybridatsun350
09-27-2008, 1:13 PM
From what I can tell from those pictures that is a 16" barrel. The 14.5" M4 barrels have a shorter section forward of the grenade launcher mounting notch.

no wrench here its at work, about to rip off my hands trying o take it off with my hands, so i'll do it later, i can't see any of those soldiering marks at all on the fh. so hopefully all i need is a wrench.

They don't come off by hand! Please tell me you didn't make this entire thread without first trying a wrench? :confused:

hybridatsun350
09-27-2008, 1:26 PM
You only need one thread for this question. :confused:

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 1:30 PM
yep no wrench, by hand, but for someone who has there barrel fh welded they know what to do now. my stag upper on my other m4 is welded on there. now i know what to do to get that ***** off and put a fake supressor on there. send it to gun smith. lol

From what I can tell from those pictures that is a 16" barrel. The 14.5" M4 barrels have a shorter section forward of the grenade launcher mounting notch.

They don't come off by hand! Please tell me you didn't make this entire thread without first trying a wrench? :confused:

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 2:15 PM
yeah using my cobra ninja kung fu grip, go figure ha, thats proabably why i can't get that thing off. the can on the sd just screwes right on and off.

I'm going to ask a question that you don't have to answer.
Are you serious? :rolleyes:

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 2:16 PM

Not everyone is so smart. ;)
We need people who work at McDonalds too you know...

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 2:19 PM
From what I can tell from those pictures that is a 16" barrel.
The 14.5" M4 barrels have a shorter section forward of the grenade launcher mounting notch.

http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/govt-bg.gif

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 2:19 PM
hey man i have no clue,

He speaks the truth.

EBR Works
09-27-2008, 2:28 PM
Not everyone is so smart. ;)
We need people who work at McDonalds too you know...

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 2:30 PM
c'mon... we're a country of instant-gratification junkies... ah hell, he just got excited is all. but yes, wtf were you thinking! :p (note smiley, i'm just playing around)

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 3:44 PM
He speaks the truth.

hey smart *** i bet i get more ***** than you. hahaha i didn't want to tear my awesome m4 custom apart smart ***. thats why i asked a simple question that needed a simple reply mr 11k post. (get a life, go to the range) lol :P

i fixed the problem, i'll be getting some more stuff from them in near future. they have the right idea and there quality is heavy duty. thanks for all the feedback from everyone. cool ****, cool site. :)

bohoki
09-27-2008, 3:54 PM
if it was from a pre-postban (aka "during ban") it will probably be permanantly atttached (not user servicable)

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 4:00 PM
glad to see it worked out... looks pretty bad arse if i must say so myself!

shark92651
09-27-2008, 4:06 PM
hey smart *** i bet i get more ***** than you. hahaha i didn't want to tear my awesome m4 custom apart smart ***. thats why i asked a simple question that needed a simple reply mr 11k post. (get a life, go to the range) lol :P

i fixed the problem, i'll be getting some more stuff from them in near future. they have the right idea and there quality is heavy duty. thanks for all the feedback from everyone. cool ****, cool site. :)

Harley relax. Randall (aka AR15barrels.com) has forgotten more about this weapon platform than most of us can learn in the first place. 3/4" wrench and turning counter clockwise will remove the flash-hider. Spikes' doesn't even offer the Operator upper in less 16" as far as I can tell. You have to admit though, that after 2-3 pages of comments, and then admitting you were trying to remove it by hand you definitely deserve a little hazing! ;) Yes, this site is the shiznit. Welcome aboard.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-27-2008, 4:14 PM
I sort of skimmed this thread, but in case I missed it, did he ever say how long his barrel was including the fake can that was on it?

Also, what does that "launcher" launch?

For Harley Vato, my suggestion for the next time you undertake a project like removing a muzzle device is to simply call up the manufacturer and ask them what they use to secure the muzzle device. That will save you a lot of time and headache, not to mention help prevent you messing up your rifle.

It always pays to ask them first.

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 4:24 PM
Also, what does that "launcher" launch?

Any 37mm rounds.
35mm film containers full of chalk are popular.

redcliff
09-27-2008, 4:29 PM

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/stonewoe/untitled33rr3.jpg

Very Tacticool, you move to the head of the line of mall ninja's.

Btw, AR15barrels, and UCLAPLINKER are two of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on this board. I'd lose the attitude you display at times if I was you.

jandmtv
09-27-2008, 4:31 PM

What problem? There was never a problem in the first place. You just forgot to mention you were trying to use your hand to remove something that was indexed with a wrench!

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 5:21 PM
don't forget 12 gage shot gun rounds. it has a 37mm adapter and a 12 gage adapter

Any 37mm rounds.
35mm film containers full of chalk are popular.

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 5:23 PM
man its all good fun, i'm not mad at anyone. your cool as far as i'm concerned 11k

What problem? There was never a problem in the first place. You just forgot to mention you were trying to use your hand to remove something that was indexed with a wrench!

HARLEY VATO
09-27-2008, 5:25 PM
redcliff my life is an attitude hahahhaha once gas prices go down i'll be a shiznit eating grin professional bastarrd lol

Very Tacticool, you move to the head of the line of mall ninja's.

Btw, AR15barrels, and UCLAPLINKER are two of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on this board. I'd lose the attitude you display at times if I was you.

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 5:26 PM
don't forget 12 gage shot gun rounds. it has a 37mm adapter and a 12 gage adapter

that's a big no-no...

bobfried
09-27-2008, 5:32 PM

And after your done, you will get a nice cell provided by the ATF for possessing an NFA device.

On a side note, that would leave whoever that girl is free and single, what's bad for one man is good for another.

ar15barrels
09-27-2008, 5:45 PM

The use of 12Ga shotgun rounds in one of those adapters is a felony.
Intalling said adapter into the breech of a SHORT BARRELED 37mm launcher creates an illegal Short Barreled Shotgun.

http://media.canada.com/16b6f2ca-3671-421d-b40b-5ee0ea90baea/handcuffed.jpg

Enjoy. ;)

bohoki
09-27-2008, 6:28 PM
i'm sure they mean a 12 ga flare adapter

apbrian112
09-27-2008, 6:39 PM
i'm sure they mean a 12 ga flare adapter

exactly... for the use of USCG approved 12 ga flares and signaling devices... no 12 ga 00 buck or slugs...

m24armorer
09-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Try 28 mm flares and the correct adaptor marked USCG.

BTW, both my launchers are mill spec, one Colt M-203 and one LMT rail mount.
Both are 37 mm tubed.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 1:23 AM
After seeing the pics on my computer it's clear it's a 16" barrel. Cell phone browsing sucks.

This thread has made me LOL. Was good fun.

Try 28 mm flares and the correct adaptor marked USCG.

BTW, both my launchers are mill spec, one Colt M-203 and one LMT rail mount.
Both are 37 mm tubed.

Well damn, I'm impressed... too rich for my blood. :)

ar15barrels
09-28-2008, 1:39 AM
This thread has made me LOL. Was good fun.

Some threads are just like driving by an accident on the freeway.
Once you have sat in the traffic, you can't resist looking just as you finally get past it.

aplinker
09-28-2008, 2:01 AM
Some threads are just like driving by an accident on the freeway.
Once you have sat in the traffic, you can't resist looking just as you finally get past it.

Plus you got a girl with gun pic out of it; so you have material for tonight. :p ;)

Xerxes
09-28-2008, 3:07 PM
You only need one thread for this question. :confused:

He has two guns so maybe it was one thread per gun with the same question:confused:

m24armorer
09-28-2008, 8:47 PM
Why is this still here.......

ar15barrels
09-28-2008, 8:49 PM
Why is this still here.......

Nobody has gotten around to deleting it? :confused:

Thanks for the heads up on ceramic inserts. ;)

m24armorer
09-28-2008, 8:55 PM
HELP HELP needs help. BTW the Cerm inserts are the ONLY way to cut and crown a chrome bore.

ar15barrels
09-28-2008, 8:59 PM
HELP HELP needs help. BTW the Cerm inserts are the ONLY way to cut and crown a chrome bore.

I have not run into problems with just regular TIN carbide.
I think the chrome is so thin that it's not as much of an issue.

Help me on a benelli barrel I want to put chokes in.
I have the manson reamer and tap, but they warn against the chrome.
Will a brake cylinder hone cut through the chrome to get rid of it before I ream?

ivanimal
09-28-2008, 9:10 PM
Threads and various misunderstandings merged for your reading pleasure.

Play nice boys and girls.

m24armorer
09-28-2008, 9:10 PM
Have you ever sharpened a carbide tool on the wrong wheel, eats it don't it.

Watch for the bore to turn from silver to grey, you have broken thru the plating.

m24armorer
09-28-2008, 9:11 PM
Ivan, really. I'm trying to be good.

ar15barrels
09-28-2008, 9:14 PM
Have you ever sharpened a carbide tool on the wrong wheel, eats it don't it.

Watch for the bore to turn from silver to grey, you have broken thru the plating.

Yep.

So the stones will cut the chrome then.
Thanks, I'll watch for the change.

m24armorer
09-28-2008, 9:20 PM
PITA but feather it, way cheaper than a carbide reamer.

ar15barrels
09-28-2008, 9:23 PM
PITA but feather it, way cheaper than a carbide reamer.

indeed. :D

Only need to do one and it's my own...