PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92FS Brigadier.

Mgallegos22
08-12-2016, 6:53 PM
I am currently looking to add another beretta to the collection. I saw a 92fs brigadier at my local gun store. It's about 150 dollars more than a standard 92fs. Is it really worth the extra cash for a brigadier over a regular 92fs?

Michael777
08-12-2016, 7:03 PM
Ya. I bought one. I got sold on the thicker slide, nicer grips, and what appeared to be better sights. Just felt better made imo

berg
08-12-2016, 7:03 PM
I have read that the Brigadier is a limited production model, or at least a sporatic production model. It has thick rubber Hogue grips and a thicker and heavier slide which is supposed to make the recoil impulse much softer. However the thicker slide means it will not fit holsters made for the regular 92.

As far as cost, I would assume it's because there are fewer made and more material needed to make them (plus the special grips and sights).

I shot a friends and I was pretty impressed with both the accuracy and the light recoil.

Edited to add:

A shop in my area has the standard 92FS for $620 and the 92FS Brigadier for $775.

j1133s
08-13-2016, 12:32 AM
I am currently looking to add another beretta to the collection. I saw a 92fs brigadier at my local gun store. It's about 150 dollars more than a standard 92fs. Is it really worth the extra cash for a brigadier over a regular 92fs?

What will the gun be mainly used for?

As for your collection, the 92fs is a classic. If you've always got it, then maybe the brigadier, somethign different.

If it is going to be a frequent shooter, then get the version you can shoot best in.

SLO1911Fan
08-13-2016, 12:34 AM
Get the brigadier. The sights can be changed on the brigadier.

Mgallegos22
08-13-2016, 5:08 AM
What will the gun be mainly used for?

As for your collection, the 92fs is a classic. If you've always got it, then maybe the brigadier, somethign different.

If it is going to be a frequent shooter, then get the version you can shoot best in.

This would primarly be a range gun/ part of my collection. I already own an M9A1 but like you said would like to own a 92fs because it's a classic piece.

Carcassonne
08-13-2016, 7:09 AM

[buy it now]

DDM4556
08-13-2016, 2:56 PM
Buy an M9A1 instead. The Brigadier doesn't give you a rail - kind of lame considering the extra cost. The M9A1 gives you the rail which also adds a bit of weight to the front of the gun where it belongs. The changeable sights is a nice option, but a rail can accommodate a light which is an even better option for HD.

I have to say, I love Berettas but its a HUGE gripe of mine that you can't get removable sights AND a rail on the same gun unless you go 92A1 (off rooster) or 92G-SD for double the price of an M9. By now, all M9A1s should have removable sights.

Edit: Just saw you already have an M9A1. Please disregard my stupidity.

Dimitri A.
08-13-2016, 3:05 PM
It is worth it for the dovetailed front sight alone. Gives you the option of different sights. It's pretty much impossible to machine a front dovetail into the slide of a standard 92, there's just not enough material in that area.

Robert1234
08-13-2016, 5:55 PM
Get the brigadier. The sights can be changed on the brigadier.

What this guy said.

IEatZ28
08-13-2016, 6:28 PM
I own one, haven't shot it. Only thing I don't like is you can't use standard holsters and I bought a thigh holster for the 92sf and I can't even use it

cockedandglocked
08-14-2016, 10:55 AM
I really like my brigadier, but I don't have a non-brigadier beretta so it's hard for me to say conclusively that it's worth the extra money. But I do know that I would not hesitate to buy another one, it's an awesome gun. The dovetailed (removable) sights are a nice addition, but I also like the extra heft of the slide. I intentionally wanted the heaviest, beefiest 9mm I could find, and this fit the bill perfectly.

Mgallegos22
08-14-2016, 1:50 PM
Buy an M9A1 instead. The Brigadier doesn't give you a rail - kind of lame considering the extra cost. The M9A1 gives you the rail which also adds a bit of weight to the front of the gun where it belongs. The changeable sights is a nice option, but a rail can accommodate a light which is an even better option for HD.

I have to say, I love Berettas but its a HUGE gripe of mine that you can't get removable sights AND a rail on the same gun unless you go 92A1 (off rooster) or 92G-SD for double the price of an M9. By now, all M9A1s should have removable sights.

No worries man. My M9A1 is one of my most favorite guns I own. I agree with you on everything you said on your post. I acutally wasn't planing on getting an M9A1. I was looking for a 92fs, guy at my local gu shop sold me on the A1. I liked the option of a rail and all the other extras. I would love a 92g SD, it's just way out of my price range.

Mgallegos22
08-14-2016, 2:04 PM
I really like my brigadier, but I don't have a non-brigadier beretta so it's hard for me to say conclusively that it's worth the extra money. But I do know that I would not hesitate to buy another one, it's an awesome gun. The dovetailed (removable) sights are a nice addition, but I also like the extra heft of the slide. I intentionally wanted the heaviest, beefiest 9mm I could find, and this fit the bill perfectly.
The first thing that caught my eye about the brigadier was it looked different. It's not drastically different than a 92fs but enough for the casual observer to see. Would you say the heavier slide soaks up more of the recoil? I know a 9mm is a tame round when compared to some larger calibers but how does the brigadier slide handle the 9mm?

tuna quesadilla
08-14-2016, 3:11 PM
The first thing that caught my eye about the brigadier was it looked different. It's not drastically different than a 92fs but enough for the casual observer to see. Would you say the heavier slide soaks up more of the recoil? I know a 9mm is a tame round when compared to some larger calibers but how does the brigadier slide handle the 9mm?

The Brig slide does sort of soak up/slow down the recoil impulse. That's probably why they used it on the Elite II competition model.

I'm a big Beretta fanboy and particularly a big fan of the Brigadier, but I'm not sure it's really worth having if you already have an M9A1? Or maybe you could get the best-of-both-worlds and swap the Brig slide onto your M9A1. Get the railed/checkered lower with the heavier mass and the removable sights of the Brigadier.

glowing
08-14-2016, 3:24 PM

Vertec Inox has the features you want in an on-roster Beretta. You can also pickup M9A3 wraparound grips to convert the grip to a traditional Beretta style if you do not like the flat backstrap.

emulex81
08-14-2016, 3:28 PM
I haven't been able to find a brigadier in southern cali for awhile now, few LGS out of stock, my normal store said they can't order, and online (Bud's) seems to be out of stock. I'll just get one when they finally come back in stock locally not high on the list but I've heard of a couple others having trouble finding them in stock (INOX version)

jeffyhog
08-14-2016, 7:48 PM
I bought the Inox Brigadier 96 many years ago and it is still my favorite gun to shoot. I've added a blued Brigadier 92, an Inox Brigadier 92, as well a standard 92fs over the years. They are all great shooting, reliable guns. The one I really wanted to add to the collection was the Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical, but they were first released at the end of the SSE period and sold out before I could get one.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/jeffyhog/Mobile%20Uploads/ef6bf8d6-d1b8-490a-8176-81652ad37eb8_zpsqrvukcth.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/jeffyhog/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ef6bf8d6-d1b8-490a-8176-81652ad37eb8_zpsqrvukcth.jpg.html)

cockedandglocked
08-14-2016, 7:53 PM

I really appreciate the different look of the Brig as well, the little "swoop" shape on the top of the slide that doesn't exist on any other model. Does it absorb more recoil? Honestly, haveing almost zero experience with non-brig models, I'm not really qualified to answer that in practice, but in theory it absolutely should, since the slide weighs a few ounces more. Does the regular 92fs shoot well? I'm very confident that it does. But I can't say from experience. But I can say that the Brig model absolutely shoots fantastically, it's the best shooting pistol I own by a mile. Maybe not my "favorite" pistol, since it never sees any everyday carry, but it's absolutely my favorite pistol come range day.

Michael777
08-14-2016, 8:00 PM
I've heard issues of the early berettas frames cracking after heavy hardcore use.

Supposedly it was fixed when they moved production to the US and even then the issue wasn't all that big of a deal. But I guess the reinforced slide on the brigadier also is another fail safe against frames cracking?

timbo399
08-14-2016, 8:15 PM
I love my 2 Beretta 92's I bought about 6 years ago- One Made in Italy version and the other Inox (although not full stainless as in safety, trigger etc but still it's a beauty!!)

No mods to each and as a 1911 guy mainly before I bought my first Beretta 92, I could not believe the accuracy straight out of the box when first cleaned and lubed and took to range never having shot one before- I was giggling that thing was so accurate- just a very natural feel for me and POA.

My stock Beretta 92's, even without the beafier slide make shooting 9mm feel like a pea shooter. I did have a Glock 17 just for a few mos before buying the Beretta- nothing against Glock just wasn't for me-couldn't hit a darn thing w it- I'm sure practice would help but I figured why practice a ton at the range w Glock 17 when Beretta 92 out of box hit what I was aiming at.

Glock 17 felt no recoil at all until I went back to it right after shooting the Beretta- the stock Beretta 92 literally makes +p 9mm feel like I'm shooting a bb gun.

Now that have shot and taken classes w Beretta thinking of changing nightstand duty from 1911 to Beretta- but that would mean needing a rail for a light- gosh I love excuses for buying more guns.

cockedandglocked
08-14-2016, 8:26 PM
I love my 2 Beretta 92's I bought about 6 years ago- One Made in Italy version and the other Inox (although not full stainless as in safety, trigger etc but still it's a beauty!!)

No mods to each and as a 1911 guy mainly before I bought my first Beretta 92, I could not believe the accuracy straight out of the box when first cleaned and lubed and took to range never having shot one before- I was giggling that thing was so accurate- just a very natural feel for me and POA.

My stock Beretta 92's, even without the beafier slide make shooting 9mm feel like a pea shooter. I did have a Glock 17 just for a few mos before buying the Beretta- nothing against Glock just wasn't for me-couldn't hit a darn thing w it- I'm sure practice would help but I figured why practice a ton at the range w Glock 17 when Beretta 92 out of box hit what I was aiming at.

Glock 17 felt no recoil at all until I went back to it right after shooting the Beretta- the stock Beretta 92 literally makes +p 9mm feel like I'm shooting a bb gun.

Now that have shot and taken classes w Beretta thinking of changing nightstand duty from 1911 to Beretta- but that would mean needing a rail for a light- gosh I love excuses for buying more guns.

Lol, great post, and I agree with all of that :)

Is a Brigadier 92 a good gun for CCW? Most certainly not. It's probably terrible for that. But, man, is it ever a phenomenal range pistol. Thing eats 9mm for breakfast all day long, any rounds, cheap, expensive, +p, steel-case, whatever... doesn't matter. Eats it all. And puts it exactly on target. Every time. Feeling like a pellet gun while doing so.

I don't even like 9mm. In fact, 9mm is probably my LAST choice for a defensive round. But my 92 Brig is the coolest pistol I own and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

My Beretta is one of the only guns I own that I can truly say, honestly, has never had a single hiccup. Nothing. It has just worked flawlessly, from day one, with no fuss. If I had to choose one pistol and sell all the rest, I would keep the Brig.

tennisman
08-15-2016, 7:02 PM
I carry my brig a lot , not a problem at all

cockedandglocked
08-15-2016, 7:24 PM
I carry my brig a lot , not a problem at all

I have an open slot on my permit and still chose not to add mine. Partly because I have enough trouble concealing my much-smaller Glocks as it is, and partly because it's just too pretty to scratch up :p

Blade Gunner
08-15-2016, 7:30 PM
Worth every penny more. Bet the brigadier.