PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 to 21 conversion for CCW

rlewpolar
08-12-2016, 9:13 AM
I am in the process of picking up a Glock 20SF and also just bought a complete Glock 21 upper to slap onto the Glock 20 frame to shoot 45ACP.

Assuming I put the Glock 20 on my carry permit, does anyone see a problem with also carrying it with the 21 upper from time to time?

The permit lists the serial number for the frame but it also lists the caliber.

Would I run into a problem if I had contact with law enforcement that checked the weapon against my permit and noticed that the serial number listed on the permit and caliber of the pistol don't match? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Any chance you can list it as multi caliber? .45/10MM

rlewpolar
08-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Any chance you can list it as multi caliber? .45/10MM

I don't know but that's a good idea. I'll check with my IA, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cockedandglocked
08-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Depends on the county. My county definitely doesn't allow that. Ask your IA.

k1dude
08-12-2016, 10:44 AM
I guess it probably depends on your IA.

In my area, you can't modify the factory weapon in any way (other than sights). So slide swapping would be a no-no. The caliber also has to be consistent with the DROS record.

That being said, I can't imagine the penalty would be anything worse than a stern "don't do that" talking to.

Cool Custard
08-12-2016, 1:27 PM
My IA says you can have multi caliber pistols as long as you get each caliber added to the permit. All depends on IA.

HKMadness
08-13-2016, 2:20 AM
My main concern would be if it were reliable enough for carry that way.

teg33
08-13-2016, 3:36 AM

For my carry gun, I don't modified anything other than sight. Reliability is major factor, I rather stick with proven factory setup

Bill Steele
08-13-2016, 6:10 AM
More power to you if you can stand carrying that big old gun.

I find myself buying ever smaller guns these days. Yesterday I happened to be in a shop when my eye started to wander over to the derringer shelf...

I think I have halted my decline with the Kahr P380, I didn't even ask to handle one of those derringers. :)

On the reliability of a G21 slide on a G20 frame and vice versa, it is the same as a factory gun at that point. Good to explain that to the IA.

Quiet
08-13-2016, 6:19 AM
The permit lists the serial number for the frame but it also lists the caliber.

Would I run into a problem if I had contact with law enforcement that checked the weapon against my permit and noticed that the serial number listed on the permit and caliber of the pistol don't match?

Yes.
Per CA laws, the handgun you are carrying must exactly match what is listed on your CA LTC permit. If it does not match, then it is treated as an illegal conceal carry.

It is up to your issuing agency on if they will allow multiple calibers to be listed on a specific handgun.

Carcassonne
08-13-2016, 7:00 AM
I remember some people having problems with using thier single shot exemption guns for CCW. Most of the SSE guns were DROSed as 25 caliber, not 9mm, 380, 40, or 45.

ElDub1950
08-13-2016, 7:11 AM
Based on all the similar questions and first hand answers, it just depends on your IA. Some allow mods some don't. Some allow multi-caliber, some don't. But I think it's correct that the caliber has to match what's on your LTC.

Dvrjon
08-13-2016, 8:40 AM
PC 26175:
(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth licensee’s name, occupation, residence and business address, the licensee’s age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be laminated.If what you're carrying doesn't match the license info, you have a problem.

Mopar Guy
08-13-2016, 9:10 AM
Anything that adds confusion to a CCW license is not a good thing. I would not bother.

I actually thought of the G30 and G36 slide switch to make a G30s. I opted just to buy a G30s. Frankenstein Glocks may be ok for home or the range, not the permit. Extremely problematic. The obvious, the frame is completely different that slide. I am sure a cop who looks at your permit and checks your gun will think something is wrong, I mean suspiciously wrong.

k1dude
08-13-2016, 9:13 AM
More power to you if you can stand carrying that big old gun.

I find myself buying ever smaller guns these days. Yesterday I happened to be in a shop when my eye started to wander over to the derringer shelf...

I think I have halted my decline with the Kahr P380, I didn't even ask to handle one of those derringers. :)

On the reliability of a G21 slide on a G20 frame and vice versa, it is the same as a factory gun at that point. Good to explain that to the IA.

Many carry a full size big bore when in the backcountry. It's usually not for around town. A Glock 20SF is a commonly carried CCW weapon when in bear, grower, and cougar country.

Shumba
08-13-2016, 9:28 AM
Many carry a full size big bore when in the backcountry. It's usually not for around town. A Glock 20SF is a commonly carried CCW weapon when in bear, grower, and cougar country.

I have my G20SF on my permit for this (hunting trips, backcountry hiking/fishing, etc.) reason.

While I know it is better to have some kind of gun on you rather than to not have a gun, I'm not a fan of the really compact, low capacity, smaller caliber (.380, etc.) guns for CCW. There are many scenarios where you may be dealing with more than one bad guy and even the best shooters may miss or have bad shot placement under stress. I know capacity doesn't make up for bad accuracy, but I do feel more prepared when I'm carrying my G23 (with 14 rounds of .40S&W) vs. my S&W 642 with 5 rounds of .38spcl.

Bill Steele
08-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Oh shoot, and that gun store guy said I would be fine with my P380 against grizzlies, as long as my shot placement was there.

I swear, you learn something every day on Calguns. :D

Fishslayer
08-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Oh shoot, and that gun store guy said I would be fine with my P380 against grizzlies, as long as my shot placement was there.

I swear, you learn something every day on Calguns. :D

A slow hiking buddy is more effective... ;)

G21Shooter
08-13-2016, 12:08 PM

Glock 20 and 21 lowers are exactly the same.

Bill Steele
08-13-2016, 1:32 PM
A slow hiking buddy is more effective... ;)

It could be Usain Bolt as long as my shot placement is right, I mean, one in the knee cap and I am in the clear.. ;)

HKMadness
08-13-2016, 6:16 PM
Glock 20 and 21 lowers are exactly the same.

Had to see for my self. Popped the slides off , yep they do look the same. I was expecting the ejector to be different.

Truck286
08-13-2016, 6:32 PM
Its Not what we think.
Its what the 12 people who werent smart enough to get out of jury duty Think.

cockedandglocked
08-13-2016, 7:32 PM
Had to see for my self. Popped the slides off , yep they do look the same. I was expecting the ejector to be different.

29/30 (also 10mm/45) are the same as each other as well.