PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button Question

Zervaman
09-26-2008, 7:43 PM
I'm a bit confused about the specifics behind the bullet button. I have been searching for answers and have seen conflicting information, so I'll just ask.

I'm planning on building my first AR, and I want to go with the BB. So if I go to a range, how do I load?

I have seen some say that you must top load only, and removing the mag, even with the BB, is illegal. Others say that you can just use a bullet to remove the mag, and because you used a "tool", it's just like disassembling the rifle, so no harm there.

Can someone clear this up for me?

technique
09-26-2008, 7:47 PM
Push the button with a tool, Mag pops out, load it, re insert, slap bolt release, and shoot.

DedEye
09-26-2008, 7:49 PM
You can legally remove the magazine with a bullet button as doing so does not violate PC12276.1. The rifle maintains its status as being unable to accept a detachable magazine according to CCR 5469 because, even with the magazine well empty and the magazine removed, the rifle still does not have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine.

You may legally drop the magazine on a bullet button. You may not do this legally with a Prince50 kit, which requires top loading only as long as the rifle is configured as a semi-automatic, centerfire rifle with "evil" features installed. Either way, as long as the rifle has "evil features" you may not use a magazine larger than 10 rounds.

Hope that helps.

stphnman20
09-26-2008, 7:50 PM
Push the button with a tool, Mag pops out, load it, re insert, slap bolt release, and shoot.

What he said..

You might get looks from people at the range doing this but it's totally legal.. But if your worried, then just top load it.

Zervaman
09-26-2008, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the responses, that's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be doing anything illegal at a range.

joelogic
09-26-2008, 8:07 PM
Understanding what is legal is great, but an uninformed Leo's will see your rifle and possibly confiscate it. My neighbor is SFPD and I had to inform him of all the intricacies. Chabot is awesome and they understand this is all legit. However I just dont tell people what I have.

Flat Broke
09-27-2008, 12:49 AM
The answers are in the law. It is imperative that you understand why any particular configuration is legal or illegal, not just for your own understanding, but to properly articulate the laws to others you encounter. Start with the CA Flowchart http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf and understand why the bullet button is legal, not just if it's legal in one configuration or another. Being able to properly articulate why your configuration is legal could be the difference between a frustrating encounter, and paying a lawyer to right the wrongs of the ill-informed.

Chris

javalos
09-27-2008, 7:54 PM
I'm a bit confused about the specifics behind the bullet button. I have been searching for answers and have seen conflicting information, so I'll just ask.

I'm planning on building my first AR, and I want to go with the BB. So if I go to a range, how do I load?

I have seen some say that you must top load only, and removing the mag, even with the BB, is illegal. Others say that you can just use a bullet to remove the mag, and because you used a "tool", it's just like disassembling the rifle, so no harm there.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Having a BB is perfectly legal, but don't assume everyone knows its legal, especially a LEO. There have been OLL built rifles confiscated and later given back, for some it didn't cost much, others it did after they spent $$$ on an attorney. Question is: "Do you want your $700 AR to cost $2000 after you get it back from the court?" If your at a OLL friendly gun range, cool, if your not sure, don't take the chance and just top load it, it won't kill you and save you possible grief and $$$$$

jacques
09-27-2008, 7:59 PM
Having a BB is perfectly legal, but don't assume everyone knows its legal, especially a LEO. There have been OLL built rifles confiscated and later given back, for some it didn't cost much, others it did after they spent $$$ on an attorney. Question is: "Do you want your $700 AR to cost $2000 after you get it back from the court?" If your at a OLL friendly gun range, cool, if your not sure, don't take the chance and just top load it, it won't kill you and save you possible grief and $$$$$

That is FUD.