View Full Version : Anyone here take the Firearms Training Associates 1911 armorer's course?

08-10-2016, 7:28 PM
got an ad through Turners, it's a $200 class in Yorba Linda, 9-5pm, and they have a specific toolset they request that will cost me about another $80.

Anyone take this course? Useful? More useful than Youtube videos?

08-11-2016, 5:11 AM
Keep in mind it is an Armorers Course, not a Smithing Course and you'll enjoy it.

08-27-2016, 9:08 PM
Just wanted to leave a quick review to close this out in case someone finds it in the future.

1: most of the tools they suggest are not really needed. a small hammer, a good brass punch, screwdrivers with bits for your grip screws, your mag release, and your full length guide rode should be sufficient. (in the end, I think that's all I really used)

2: the class is, essentially, a class in how to fully dissasemble, inspect, lube, and re-assemble your 1911. One of the instructors summed it up well: an "armorer" can replace parts that are pre-designed to fit the gun (like replacing a broken part with one ordered from the mfg). a Gunsmith modifies or builds parts to fit... so the recoil spring is replaced by an armorer, the sear spring by a gunsmith, as it requires bending/tensioning. (his example, not mine).

3: by the end of the day, I was VERY comfortable with the disassembly (down to the bare frame) and reassembly of my gun.

4: the teachers were very helpful, questions were gladly answered.

as BlackyHouston put it, this is not a gunsmithing course, but I'm very glad to have taken it.

08-27-2016, 9:18 PM
Sounds like it's basically how to detail strip the pistol and R&R parts?

Dang, I need to start giving classes for $190! Okay, $150. I'll include snacks & a Rockstar.

Curious as to why you were asked to bring a full-length guide rod to class, what's up with that?

08-27-2016, 9:32 PM
My gun already has a FLGR. If you don't have one, you don't need that tool.:-)

And, having taught "adult education" type classes, myself, $150 for a full day class is not terrible, given the level of support the instructors provided.

I do not regret the cost, and learned a lot more a lot faster than I was doing by looking at Youtube videos.

08-27-2016, 9:54 PM
Ah, got it.

With youtube vids, I've noticed that the crap to gem ratio is around 5:1, at least.

08-28-2016, 6:32 AM
Thanks for the after review. I`m glad it worked out for you. Maybe if other people are looking for a one on one type of learning experience, this will help!

08-28-2016, 8:01 AM
Great summery of the class. I'd consider something like that as there is no way I'd strip on of my 1911's completely down to the frame without some guidance.

08-28-2016, 8:48 AM
$150 to be taught how to detail strip a pistol sounds pretty steep, but doing it yourself and messing it up is more expensive.

1911s are easy as pie for me (even my Series 80 sig), CZs are a bit more painful, my old P220 was a total PITA. I actually enjoy detail stripping my 1911s, CZs not so much, the Sig...that was sold :)

08-28-2016, 12:55 PM
To put things in perspective... Would it be worth $150 and 8 hours to be comfortable stripping you Sig?

08-28-2016, 3:59 PM
To put things in perspective... Would it be worth $150 and 8 hours to be comfortable stripping you Sig?

Nope, cuz I sold my P220 :) However, if I was interested in the P series, I'd say it's worth it considering how much more complicated it is compared to the good old 1911.

When I took apart my P220 for the first time, it was easy! Putting it back together...well, even watching youtube, it took a while cuz I didn't want to screw anything up... I felt a sigh of relief when I got it done...and really had no desire to do it again. I'm sure doing it a bunch of times would make it more comfortable, but in this instance, hands on would've definitely been better.

08-28-2016, 4:33 PM
I haven't take their 1911 class but took their Remington 870. They did a nice job. The instructor was knowledgeable and experienced. In our class it was focused on defensive shotgun. I suspect the 1911 class is the same, it will focus on the aspects of 1911 for defensive use as opposed to other applications.

08-28-2016, 6:52 PM
This was a maintenance class. No shooting.