PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here take the Firearms Training Associates 1911 armorer's course?

BigFatGuy
08-10-2016, 8:28 PM
got an ad through Turners, it's a $200 class in Yorba Linda, 9-5pm, and they have a specific toolset they request that will cost me about another $80.

Anyone take this course? Useful? More useful than Youtube videos?

BlackyHouston
08-11-2016, 6:11 AM
Yes
Keep in mind it is an Armorers Course, not a Smithing Course and you'll enjoy it.

BigFatGuy
08-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to leave a quick review to close this out in case someone finds it in the future.

1: most of the tools they suggest are not really needed. a small hammer, a good brass punch, screwdrivers with bits for your grip screws, your mag release, and your full length guide rode should be sufficient. (in the end, I think that's all I really used)

2: the class is, essentially, a class in how to fully dissasemble, inspect, lube, and re-assemble your 1911. One of the instructors summed it up well: an "armorer" can replace parts that are pre-designed to fit the gun (like replacing a broken part with one ordered from the mfg). a Gunsmith modifies or builds parts to fit... so the recoil spring is replaced by an armorer, the sear spring by a gunsmith, as it requires bending/tensioning. (his example, not mine).

3: by the end of the day, I was VERY comfortable with the disassembly (down to the bare frame) and reassembly of my gun.

4: the teachers were very helpful, questions were gladly answered.

as BlackyHouston put it, this is not a gunsmithing course, but I'm very glad to have taken it.

MrOrange
08-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Sounds like it's basically how to detail strip the pistol and R&R parts?

Dang, I need to start giving classes for $190! Okay, $150. I'll include snacks & a Rockstar.

Curious as to why you were asked to bring a full-length guide rod to class, what's up with that?

BigFatGuy
08-27-2016, 10:32 PM
My gun already has a FLGR. If you don't have one, you don't need that tool.:-)

And, having taught "adult education" type classes, myself, $150 for a full day class is not terrible, given the level of support the instructors provided.

I do not regret the cost, and learned a lot more a lot faster than I was doing by looking at Youtube videos.

MrOrange
08-27-2016, 10:54 PM
Ah, got it.

With youtube vids, I've noticed that the crap to gem ratio is around 5:1, at least.

REDdawn6
08-28-2016, 7:32 AM
Thanks for the after review. I`m glad it worked out for you. Maybe if other people are looking for a one on one type of learning experience, this will help!

TurboChrisB
08-28-2016, 9:01 AM
Great summery of the class. I'd consider something like that as there is no way I'd strip on of my 1911's completely down to the frame without some guidance.

nahpungnome
08-28-2016, 9:48 AM
$150 to be taught how to detail strip a pistol sounds pretty steep, but doing it yourself and messing it up is more expensive.

1911s are easy as pie for me (even my Series 80 sig), CZs are a bit more painful, my old P220 was a total PITA. I actually enjoy detail stripping my 1911s, CZs not so much, the Sig...that was sold :)

BigFatGuy
08-28-2016, 1:55 PM
To put things in perspective... Would it be worth $150 and 8 hours to be comfortable stripping you Sig?

nahpungnome
08-28-2016, 4:59 PM
To put things in perspective... Would it be worth $150 and 8 hours to be comfortable stripping you Sig?

Nope, cuz I sold my P220 :) However, if I was interested in the P series, I'd say it's worth it considering how much more complicated it is compared to the good old 1911.

When I took apart my P220 for the first time, it was easy! Putting it back together...well, even watching youtube, it took a while cuz I didn't want to screw anything up... I felt a sigh of relief when I got it done...and really had no desire to do it again. I'm sure doing it a bunch of times would make it more comfortable, but in this instance, hands on would've definitely been better.

AAShooter
08-28-2016, 5:33 PM
I haven't take their 1911 class but took their Remington 870. They did a nice job. The instructor was knowledgeable and experienced. In our class it was focused on defensive shotgun. I suspect the 1911 class is the same, it will focus on the aspects of 1911 for defensive use as opposed to other applications.

BigFatGuy
08-28-2016, 7:52 PM
This was a maintenance class. No shooting.