PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Keyholing

fltingck
09-26-2008, 5:13 PM
I have a Saiga with an AK-103 style muzzle brake on it that has been keyholing (bullet striking the paper competely sideways). Is this MORE LIKELY a out of spec muzzle brake or bad threads on my front sight tower? The rifle shoots fine without the brake attached... The brake does rattle around a bit when installed correctly (with the bottom notch in the break meeting the spring-pin in the sight tower). Any help appreciated...

grammaton76
09-26-2008, 5:29 PM
See if you can check for marks on the inside of the brake. If you've got a spot where there's visible brass residue, then the bullet is hitting the brake from the inside somewhere.

EBR Works
09-26-2008, 5:31 PM
Can you push the spring-pin in further and screw the brake on more fully? With my AK I can get the AK-74 style brake screwed on completely with the spring-pin almost fully depressed. Almost no movement in the brake in this position.

fltingck
09-26-2008, 5:37 PM
I can screw the brake on further but then it is in the incorrect position (i.e. baffles are diagonal instead of sideways). Even when the brake is screwed all the way down and is solid with no wiggle, I still am getting keyholing... Also, I cannot see any brass marks on the inside of my brake; one side of the brake seems "warn down" though.

EBR Works
09-26-2008, 5:52 PM
I would try a different brake.

sammy
09-26-2008, 6:00 PM
Try taking the brake off and see if it solves the problem. What distance are you seeing the problem?

EBR Works
09-26-2008, 6:09 PM
Try taking the brake off and see if it solves the problem.

The OP already stated that it shoots fine with brake removed.

The rifle shoots fine without the brake attached...

joe_sun
09-26-2008, 7:03 PM
See if you can check for marks on the inside of the brake. If you've got a spot where there's visible brass residue, then the bullet is hitting the brake from the inside somewhere.

+1 sounds like a "baffle strike" if that could be applied here

gunrun45
09-26-2008, 8:04 PM
+1. projectile striking break. Discontinue use imediately to prevent risk of serious injury or worse. Someone screwed up threading your barrel. Sorry dude.

fltingck
09-26-2008, 8:15 PM
Thanks a lot guys... I am sending the brake back to Henderson Defense hopefully they will fix this problem quickly.

fltingck
09-26-2008, 8:21 PM
Also, Gunrun45; the barrel is not acutally threaded... the front sight post is and flush with the end of the barrel. The brake actually screws onto the front sight post. I am hoping that the threading is OK, and the brake is just out of spec!

ar15barrels
09-26-2008, 9:27 PM
The rifle shoots fine without the brake attached...

Problem solved.

09-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Problem solved.

Well that is the easiest solution!

jacques
09-27-2008, 12:36 AM
If it is a Saiga, then the barrel has been threaded by someone to get that on. To thread it that sleeve in the fron has been removed. It is possible that the threading has caused a problem. So try a different brake. Also you can get a crush washer to tighten the brake up really good so there is no slop when aligned correctly.