View Full Version : Bringing Rifles and Shotguns into CA

09-26-2008, 11:10 AM

I have a few shotguns and rifles that my grandfather left me in Georgia... I wanted to bring them home to CA. They are all CA legal with no removable mags etc etc... Do I need to do this through and FFL or can I just bring them in? Do they need to be registered here?


09-26-2008, 11:16 AM
depends what kind of rifles they are,

09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
IF they are CA legal and were left to you in his will, you can just bring them home since federal law has an exemption for inter-state transfers in that case. And it would be a CA legal transfer as well since you can transfer longguns without DROS between grandparent, parent, and child.

If your grandfather is still alive, then that exemption does not apply and you would need to have him ship them to a CA FFL, where they would be DROSed to you, and the FFL could charge whatever fee they wanted to for the transfer. It would not be PPT transfer that is limited to $35.

09-26-2008, 11:33 AM