PDA

View Full Version : Improved (Match) AR Trigger

Suvorov
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I know this question gets asked fairly often, but asking it again because I want to feel special and see if there is any new information. I am wanting to upgrade my trigger on my AR build. I was pretty much set on the Rock River or White Oak until I heard that some people have had them fail when jarred (I remember this was an issue with the Chip McCormick's). Basically I want a trigger that will give me an improved trigger pull (I like 2-stages personally) and will still be legal for use in Service Rifle competition. That said, I want the trigger to be safe enough for "LE/Military use" or at the very least safe to walk in the bush while loaded and not go off if dropped. Are the so called "tactical" triggers out there a better option? What kind of "Match" triggers do many of the high end AR type rifles use?

Most of what I have read on AR-15.com is highly positive about the RRA trigger and it is possible that the YouTube videos of RRA triggers going off when jarred are isolated instances or rigged, but I want to be sure I'm buying a trigger that meets my needs before shelling out $150 or more.

TurboFall
09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I believe the Geissele (sp?) SSA, DM, and match triggers are all the craze right now. Not sure if they're competition legal.

jandmtv
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
There was a huge discussion about those videos of the RRA triggers failing, the search function will bring it up for you to read. That being said, there have been no reports (other than those videos) of RRA 2 stage triggers failing. I have one on my AR and it is worth its weight in gold! Its the best upgrade I made to my AR.

uscbigdawg
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
For a 2-Stage, if I didn't throw a CMC in, it would be a tuned up Rock River.

Rich

Suvorov
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
There was a huge discussion about those videos of the RRA triggers failing, the search function will bring it up for you to read. That being said, there have been no reports (other than those videos) of RRA 2 stage triggers failing. I have one on my AR and it is worth its weight in gold! Its the best upgrade I made to my AR.

Thanks, I remember reading it last year but am taking another fresh look at it now. I guess I am wondering if there were any "new" developments in this accusation or anything new on the scene?

Do SRTs typically used upgraded triggers or keep them stock for liability reasons? I would assume that if they purchase top of the line RRA models, they are getting these upgraded triggers as part of the package?

It really looks like bang for buck, they are the way to go.

aplinker
09-26-2008, 2:25 PM
Geissele is what you want.

Bimmer2
09-26-2008, 3:56 PM
FWIW, there's a sticky about this on M4carbine.net, in the tech forum. It's just about everything you ever wanted to know about AR triggers, from somebody who had tested most of them...