PDA

View Full Version : SIG 938 help needed...

Infidelxx
08-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I recently purchased a used SiG 938 born in 2013. I have read many of these Sigs have had FTE/FTF issues due to a bad main spring housing and or sear spring. Apparently Sig will replace them if they deem it necessary or you twist their arm. I am wondering how many owners here have experienced this issue. Also I'm not to keen on the heavy SA trigger. I would love to have it lightened. Can anyone give me some reputable SIG smiths to look at? I have not called Sig yet but I have read they won't lighten the trigger on the 938. Also any ideas of upgrades that can be done on top of lightening the trigger would be appreciated.

SkyHawk
08-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Send it to Sig custom shop for an action enhancement, they will tune the trigger.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Customshop/SpecialCTU.aspx

Action Enhancement Package – Our factory gunsmiths hone and polish critical surfaces to lighten and smooth both the double-action and single-action trigger pulls taking your SIG SAUER to the next level without voiding the factory warranty. Includes Feed Ramp Polish. (Excludes SP2009, SP2340, SP2022, 226X5/X6, Mosquito, 1911-22, P210, P220 SAO, P226 SAO, P232/230, P238, P938, P250, P290 and DAK models.) $179.95*

If you are patient, this package goes on sale a couple times a year.

Infidelxx
08-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Send it to Sig custom shop for an action enhancement, they will tune the trigger.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Customshop/SpecialCTU.aspx

If you are patient, this package goes on sale a couple times a year.

Am I missing something? When I read that package it says that it "Excludes" the P938.

SkyHawk
08-08-2016, 11:28 PM
Am I missing something? When I read that package it says that it "Excludes" the P938.

Sorry, I missed that. Sell it to me and be done with your problems :chris:

Ceeceerider71
08-08-2016, 11:38 PM
FTE/FTF issues with a Sig 938 are very common.... My 938 absolutely refuses to eat 115gr at all... I only feed it 124gr and problem solved. As far as the trigger... These guns are not meant for competition, they mostly are meant to be small carry guns so I never gave a thought to the trigger. Try 124gr ammo and see if that helps

Nrai2020
08-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Ya my sig 938 has FTE issues pretty much every other mag I run through it.. Any recommendations?

Infidelxx
08-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Yes guys there is a fix. Sig is aware of the problem but refuses to do a recall. Read the following thread it explains it all. If you send the gun to sig they will fix it. Here's the link: http://sigtalk.com/#/forumsite/21398/topics/46513?page=1

AFTII
08-09-2016, 4:04 AM
My P938 required significant break in before it ran reliably. After about 500 rounds down the tube, it ran 115 gn ball and Hornady Critical Defense flawlessly. It has never liked Winchester T-Seriies or HST though. I just stuck with Critical Defense for carry.

Stingray3
08-09-2016, 8:23 AM
Robert Burke, the Sig Armorer http://thesigarmorer.com/services will do a trigger job on the 938s for $195.

Friesland
08-09-2016, 9:13 AM
Robert Burke, the Sig Armorer http://thesigarmorer.com/services will do a trigger job on the 938s for $195.

is it just me that considers that a little high?

Infidelxx
08-09-2016, 9:14 AM

This looks very promising and I like the fact that it doesn't void the Factory warranty. Plus they have their own lifetime warranty. Thanks!

Bad Caselaw
08-09-2016, 9:54 AM
I recently purchased a used SiG 938 born in 2013. I have read many of these Sigs have had FTE/FTF issues due to a bad main spring housing and or sear spring. Apparently Sig will replace them if they deem it necessary or you twist their arm. I am wondering how many owners here have experienced this issue....

My Q.1 is:

Have You experienced any FTE/FTF's in Your P938?

The only problem that I have experienced w/ my OCT14 P938 is that, once, very early on, I lost a round from the mag. Five rounds fired and one ended up on the floor.

Other than that? The trigger breaks like an icicle at ~ 4lbs, it is extremely precise, and has been otherwise flawless in operation.

I shoot exclusively 147 gr. ammo - Federal and Speer TMJ/FP, and Winchester Ranger-T Series JHP

Caselaw

Pipe Smoker
08-09-2016, 9:56 AM
+1 on Robert Burke. But before you send it to him, buy the new-design MSH & sear spring from SIG (inexpensive). Include those along with the pistol, and Robert will likely install those new parts with no additional charge.

Infidelxx
08-09-2016, 10:27 AM
My Q.1 is:

Have You experienced any FTE/FTF's in Your P938?

The only problem that I have experienced w/ my OCT14 P938 is that, once, very early on, I lost a round from the mag. Five rounds fired and one ended up on the floor.

Other than that? The trigger breaks like an icicle at ~ 4lbs, it is extremely precise, and has been otherwise flawless in operation.

I shoot exclusively 147 gr. ammo - Federal and Speer TMJ/FP, and Winchester Ranger-T Series JHP

Caselaw

No I have not had any failures yet because I have not shot it yet. I believe you may have the GenII parts in yours. 4lbs for a stock P938 is awesome. As far as ammo goes. I would like to use multiple types because of availability issues.

+1 on Robert Burke. But before you send it to him, buy the new-design MSH & sear spring from SIG (inexpensive). Include those along with the pistol, and Robert will likely install those new parts with no additional charge.

I called him this morning and he told me the MSH and Sear were warranty issues and would be fixed free of charge. :) at this point I'm pretty sure this is the route I'm headed.

When it's comes to guns I don't mind paying the price for a reliable gun that's eats many types of ammo.

FRIZZLEFRY
08-09-2016, 7:54 PM
I might have close to 3k rounds through mine. All varieties ammo ranging from cheap aluminum cased stuff to higher end self defence rounds.

When I shoot it, it's right out of the pocket with whatever dirt, lint, fuzz, or whatever ends up in it.

Usually run 250+ though it an outing. Between the plinking and defensive courses I have taken, I have had zero issues.

No complaints with the trigger weight either.

Go shoot it a bit before you spend money on it.

Nrai2020
08-10-2016, 7:08 AM
Yes guys there is a fix. Sig is aware of the problem but refuses to do a recall. Read the following thread it explains it all. If you send the gun to sig they will fix it. Here's the link: http://sigtalk.com/#/forumsite/21398/topics/46513?page=1

No link appears?

Should I call sig about this? Are they pretty helpful?

AGFNTB
08-10-2016, 7:30 PM
No link appears?

http://sigtalk.com/p238-p938-pistol/46513-how-determine-original-old-vs-revised-new-main-spring-housing.html

Nrai2020
08-10-2016, 7:39 PM

Since the gun is off roster can it be sent to sig?

Mute
08-10-2016, 11:39 PM
If you've had problems contact Sig. I got lucky. My 938 has been a 100% with a mix of ball (115 and 124 gr.) as well as 124 gr. Federal HST.

Title1guy
08-11-2016, 7:44 PM
I've had some minor issues with grip screws (solved with locktite) and the 2 piece guide rod coming loose (also solved with locktite), but otherwise flawless with reloads and 124g HST. The real problem is the shooter. LOL

Tall Tree
08-11-2016, 8:33 PM
I've had some minor issues with grip screws (solved with locktite) and the 2 piece guide rod coming loose (also solved with locktite), but otherwise flawless with reloads and 124g HST. The real problem is the shooter. LOL

Pretty much same as me, but I lost the grip screw at the range. I called sig and they sent me a new screw and guide rod assembly. They didn't tell me to loctite the guide rod so I guess they are doing that at the factory now? It hasn't come loose since.

Infidelxx
08-12-2016, 9:26 AM
No link appears?

The links are working for me. ??

Sig is very helpful. So is Rob Burke. Both will cover it under warranty.

Since the gun is off roster can it be sent to sig?
Not sure but wouldn't think it's a problem as long as it's registered in your name.

Milsurp Collector
08-12-2016, 9:59 AM
I bought a used P938 with the older mainspring housing and sear spring design. It is accurate and reliable. I like it much more than my Gen 4 Glock 19 (feels better in my hand, more accurate, less felt recoil [especially with Hogue grips], also much easier to conceal). I showed it to a co-worker and he bought a new one.

I went to a gun show recently and they had another used one for $500 so I bought it. It also had the older design parts and it showed some a little wear but I ordered the newer design parts from Sig Sauer and replaced them myself. It isn't hard.

eyELm9Dt-AQ
bLDgQaF9HyI

The upgrade parts for my first P938 arrived yesterday and I'll install them today even though the current older design parts are fine.

The factory warranty only covers the original purchaser. Since both of my P938's are used they aren't covered by the factory warranty anyway.

Nrai2020
08-12-2016, 11:32 PM
I think I may have a gen 1 938... I actually got one a few years ago probably less than a year after they first came out... How many "gen"s have there been?

bluzman
08-14-2016, 3:16 PM
FTE/FTF issues with a Sig 938 are very common.... My 938 absolutely refuses to eat 115gr at all... I only feed it 124gr and problem solved. As far as the trigger... These guns are not meant for competition, they mostly are meant to be small carry guns so I never gave a thought to the trigger. Try 124gr ammo and see if that helpsDisagree. My two year old 938 is my EDC. I have fed it nothing but 115 gr FMJ and JHP since day one. It has had zero issues including with LAX Ammo reloads.
I might have close to 3k rounds through mine. All varieties ammo ranging from cheap aluminum cased stuff to higher end self defence rounds.

When I shoot it, it's right out of the pocket with whatever dirt, lint, fuzz, or whatever ends up in it.

Between the plinking and defensive courses I have taken, I have had zero issues.

No complaints with the trigger weight either.

Go shoot it a bit before you spend money on it.This. I pocket carry my P938 Extreme with a 7 rd mag loaded with 115 gr JHP in a Desantis Super Fly holster. When it's drawn and fired at the range, it never fails.

CaliJohnnySigBoy
11-12-2016, 9:48 AM
My SIG P938 born FEB 2014 has never had any issue whatsoever, maybe SIG corrected by early 2014. Sorry to hear about the 2013s, looks like others have commented that SIG will assist if you have the issue/s.

I only commented so that it's not all bashing thread.

Best,

John

I recently purchased a used SiG 938 born in 2013. I have read many of these Sigs have had FTE/FTF issues due to a bad main spring housing and or sear spring. Apparently Sig will replace them if they deem it necessary or you twist their arm. I am wondering how many owners here have experienced this issue. Also I'm not to keen on the heavy SA trigger. I would love to have it lightened. Can anyone give me some reputable SIG smiths to look at? I have not called Sig yet but I have read they won't lighten the trigger on the 938. Also any ideas of upgrades that can be done on top of lightening the trigger would be appreciated.

Mytmoss
11-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Last year March my 938 developed a "feature" where the magazine would disconnect while I was firing. I sent it to Sig and they replaced the mag catch, mainspring housing and trigger and I have had no issues since.

SIGman Freud
11-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Not to thread jack and veer off into another tooic, but since we're on the subject of single stack Sigs......is the P238 more reliable, in general, than the 938 (understanding that the 238 is a 380 of course)?

bubbapug1
11-12-2016, 5:35 PM
I have two gen 1's and one gen two.

Had issues with grip screws and the two piece guide rod too. My main spring housing on my main carry gun is starting to fail. I had some failure to feeds in the first 200 rounds as the guns are pretty tight tolerance wise. Eventually it smoothed out and runs great now.

The 938 can be fit with a colt mustang main spring to lighten the trigger. Most ccw guns should have at least a 6 pound trigger. Many agencies specify no trigger work allowed.

The 938 shoots great for what it is, and it is the narrowest, lightest, shortest 1911 out on the market. Also, the easiest to conceal. A great gun and a solid gun, they're also very handsome guns.

CaliJohnnySigBoy
11-13-2016, 8:14 PM
No, the 938 is ridiculously reliable. I own 4 SIG pistols, all have always worked perfectly shooting all types of ammo cheap to expensive, full metal jacket ball to hollow point etc. I would be careful about over generalization unless you find a manufacturer owning an issue or enough empirical evidence of issues, but a few anecdotal bloggers is not close to determining anything as all manufacturers will have a dud now and then.

Not to thread jack and veer off into another tooic, but since we're on the subject of single stack Sigs......is the P238 more reliable, in general, than the 938 (understanding that the 238 is a 380 of course)?

liberty47
11-13-2016, 8:17 PM
P938 has been so reliable. Have had two different versions. IMO, easily in the top five best carry pistols you can buy.

Mr.Cip
11-14-2016, 12:35 AM

I have a P238 Scorpion and P938 SAS. I've had zero malfunctions on both pistols.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title1guy
11-14-2016, 7:24 AM
Own both a P938 Scorpion and a P238 two tone. Both have issues with the extended mags dropping out during firing; the P238 more so than the P938. Happens to both myself and other shooters when firing. No issues with the flush mounted mags. I will be sending them back to Sig to fix, as they are great pocket pistols otherwise.

TurboChrisB
11-14-2016, 8:23 AM
Love my 938, always goes bang on my reloads and HST.