PDA

View Full Version : Kahr P380

Bill Steele
08-08-2016, 5:56 PM
I picked up a Kahr P380 a while back for pocket carry. I had not gotten a chance to shoot it until today. It was a fluke I even got to shoot it today. I had a hundred 90gr FMJ (R-P and PMC) and 40 rounds of the Underwood +P Extreme Penetrator bullets from Lehigh Defense to test.

I also brought my G43 and G26 along with a couple hundred 9mm for a workout on the rest of my CCW fleet.

When I started with the Kahr, I had some trepidation as I had read a few reviews of early mis-feeds and also some serious intolerance for the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator bullet profile.

Early on I had a little trouble adjusting to the super small grip of the P380 and the really long trigger. I started with the PMC and by the time I was loading the final magazines of the PMC, I had marched things in pretty well on my 7 yard bull. The trigger and small grip is going to take me a while to get fully adjusted, I suspect more like 500 rounds.

The only FTF's I had were a couple of premature lock-backs and that was my thumb catching the slide stop lever. I finally started overlapping my thumbs, like I do when shooting revolvers (learned that way decades ago) and the premature lock-back stopped altogether.

I next tried a few magazines of the Underwood +P EP from Lehigh Defense and had zero feed issues. I only had the 40 UW rounds so I decided to intersperse a few in each magazine of the R-P FMJ, just to try and stretch the test out some and also really work out the first and last rounds in each magazine. One thing that really surprised me was the minimal additional felt recoil of the UW +P ammo. The Kahr P380 is a pretty soft little shooter.

By the end of the first day (140 rounds total) I had a few good stats. I had shrunk the rapid fire grouping to a fist sized bunch at 7 yards. I had exactly zero fail to feed (other than the few premature lock backs that were my fault), regardless of the ammo including that UW +P Extreme Penetrator bullet rounds.

It was a little intimidating getting the accuracy I would need to feel it worthy of actual carry and will take a while I think to get my trigger discipline down enough to keep things tight, but I am optimistic. If I can master the gun, I think with that Lehigh infused ammo, it will be a genuine defensive alternative that fits well in my pockets.

Finally I then loaded up my G43 (third range visit for this one and 500+ rounds total). Geez, anyone who complains about a stock Glock trigger, just shoot a few hundred Kahr P380 rounds and then start blasting with the Glock of your choice. Dang that G43 trigger felt like a 1911... :) Too bad that G43 is just a little too big for pocket carry. Be fine though, IWB, when things start cooling down.

Some fun.

Title1guy
08-08-2016, 6:44 PM
Congrats on a positive experience with the P380 and G43. Just qualified with a G43 myself yesterday to add to my CCW; but outside of cargo pockets, it will be an IWB carry. I can't beat the ease of my LCP for pocket carry, though a P938 and P238 work for cargo and certain jeans pockets as well. Nice to have options, isn't it?

Bill Steele
08-08-2016, 7:46 PM
Congrats on a positive experience with the P380 and G43. Just qualified with a G43 myself yesterday to add to my CCW; but outside of cargo pockets, it will be an IWB carry. I can't beat the ease of my LCP for pocket carry, though a P938 and P238 work for cargo and certain jeans pockets as well. Nice to have options, isn't it?

Definitely