PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what this 5.56 brass is for/from

Fjold
09-26-2008, 5:48 AM
The case looks like it is marked TW 72. What are the scallops for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/223Case.jpg

Nefarious
09-26-2008, 5:51 AM
Scallops ... are for eating :D

Do you think the cartridge is a blank? Thats a completely uneducated guess on my part

Beelzy
09-26-2008, 5:52 AM
Rosebud crimped blank casing.

Fjold
09-26-2008, 6:16 AM
The blanks that I have seen are longer and folded over in a faintly bullet shape.

As you can see in the blank case below, when it unfolds the case neck will be a lot longer. The case in the OP is normal length

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/556mm_ammo.jpg

geeknow
09-26-2008, 6:42 AM
probably a blank of some sort. the only reason i can see for the scallops would be to crimp the diameter FAR below what a bullet seating would require.

smle-man
09-26-2008, 7:16 AM
modified to hold a sabot for a .17 bullet? TW 72 indicated Twin City ammo plant from 1972 a GoCo operation (government owned, contractor operated) so it is Vietnam era brass.

TRAP55
09-26-2008, 8:00 AM
Before laser devices for war games, they used blanks with a glob of white paint like plastic, kinda like paint ball with an attitude. They were dropped from use because of the mess it made in the rifles. I think that may be what you have.
I have some loaded rounds laying around here somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post some pics.

brando
09-26-2008, 8:09 AM
Blanks don't split like that, let alone so uniformly.

IllTemperedCur
09-26-2008, 8:32 AM
I'm totally guessing here, but how about a grenade-firing blank like the M755?

Or possibly virgin blank brass, eg. hasn't been loaded & crimped yet.

Nefarious
09-26-2008, 8:39 AM
Before laser devices for war games, they used blanks with a glob of white paint like plastic, kinda like paint ball with an attitude. They were dropped from use because of the mess it made in the rifles. I think that may be what you have.
I have some loaded rounds laying around here somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post some pics.

I know what your talking about. I seen some of those when were were doing some land cleanup at the airport in MS. I guess the Airforce gave the Navy Base some land, but we had to clean up what was given... scattered along the floor now and then I would see 9mm size casings with a pink die/chalk/pain ball. It looked like it surely would hurt to be at the receiving end

TRAP55
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Nefarious, I picked these up at Ft. Ord back in the late 60's. They were laying all over because the boots didn't want to fire them and have to clean the goop out, so they just tossed em all over.
I asked a Sargent I knew about them, and he said it made a white "kill" mark on your uniform that was hell to get cleaned off. He also said they would leave a bloody raspberry on your skin.