PDA

View Full Version : New Acquisition, S&W 69, 44 Revolver

gunprofit
08-05-2016, 4:47 PM
I am a vintage Smith & Wesson revolver sort of guy. My usual purchases will be from 1930 up to 1990s. I will buy most Smiths made up until they installed the "Hillary-Hole". However, the Model 69, an "L" Frame, 5-Shot, 44 Caliber spoke to me. So, I bought one. The accuracy truly impressed me. Attached is a picture of a 25 yard group I shot from a benchrest. It measured real close to a 3/4" group. My reloads are a 205 grain wadcutter in front of 4.6 grains of Trail Boss in a 44 Special case. A very pleasant and accurate round.

Out of the box, the single action trigger pull was extremely gritty and over 8 lbs. I pulled it apart and did the usual polishing to lighten things up. Single Action trigger pull is now 3 3/4 lbs. I'm not fond of the new internals or the black coating on them. The fitting of the detent ball on the crane (yoke) doesn't line up. I could go into more issues, but I won't. I bought it because I thought it would be a nice little pack around type gun.

If you are looking for a somewhat compact 44 revolver, I would think that you all would like this one.

I bought it for $723.99 from Shotgun Johnny's. You go to their website and purchase it there. www.shotgunjohnnys.biz

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/gunprofit/10_3.jpg (http://s815.photobucket.com/user/gunprofit/media/10_3.jpg.html)

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/gunprofit/11_4.jpg (http://s815.photobucket.com/user/gunprofit/media/11_4.jpg.html)

smle-man
08-05-2016, 5:12 PM
Nice! I like the .44 special and have a model 21 at this time.

jg7
08-05-2016, 5:56 PM
That's super good.

Yeah, out of the box, S&Ws have some really heavy trigger pulls and basically require going in there and cleaning up or changing springs.

Looks like you've got a keeper.

Have you checked the velocity of those loads?

Noonanda
08-05-2016, 6:51 PM
Love mine, only thing I did was put hogue grips on it

Sutcliffe
08-05-2016, 6:52 PM
N-frames are rather large. this seems like an answer to that problem.

Seaweed02
09-23-2016, 6:49 PM
That is a beauty for sure. I had just been on YouTube watching videos about this revolver. Then I decided I wanted one so I put in a search to see if there was one for sale here on the forum. That's how I found this thread. Congrats on an awesome revolver!

MrOrange
09-23-2016, 8:16 PM
Ima count this as another vote to bring back the 696, with solid barrel, no MIM or key safety, etc. You can always go to heavy Special loads fer piking in bear country.

At current prices you'd think the quality would be commensurate, but whadaya gonna do.

Although, under an inch at 25... not too shabby!!

usmcspud
09-23-2016, 8:27 PM
Smith and Wesson forum has 2 or 3 threads on this little gem. I am an old model S&W nut, too.
I bought one and like it a LOT.

califcowboy
09-23-2016, 10:53 PM
I have a S&W 24-3 with a 3 inch barrel that shoots great.

Seaweed02
10-08-2016, 5:23 AM
Say how is the recoil on the Model 69? I just put one on layaway at my local gun store. Due to the 1 in 30 law, I won't be able to buy it until mid November. So I just thought I would find out from you owners how bad the recoil is on this L frame 44 magnum revolver. What can you tell me?

Capt Jack
10-08-2016, 7:17 AM
That's definitely a keeper! I've got the same one in .357 and it's a great gun.

Mr. Beretta
10-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Now only if S&W made it in a 3" barrel. :(

Tank 57
10-08-2016, 11:22 AM
When these were announced, I wanted one. Was surprised to see it on the roster. Bought the first one I saw.

Recoil is not bad, more muzzle flip than my 6 inch 629. Fun to shoot. Smaller frame with large bore makes it look bigger than the 629.

200Apples
10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Wow. Nice get! Nice-shootin' piece, too, if that photo is any indication... :D

I've a .44 Special in line to come home some time in December... a Colt SAA 5-1/2" barrel. A 3rd Gen, made at the beginning of a decline in manufacturing quality at Colt. They have since recovered and are today producing some good guns.

As for S&W?! Don't get me started! My third S&W double action revolver is coming home this Wednesday!

dfletcher
10-08-2016, 12:27 PM
I am a vintage Smith & Wesson revolver sort of guy. My usual purchases will be from 1930 up to 1990s. I will buy most Smiths made up until they installed the "Hillary-Hole". However, the Model 69, an "L" Frame, 5-Shot, 44 Caliber spoke to me. So, I bought one. The accuracy truly impressed me. Attached is a picture of a 25 yard group I shot from a benchrest. It measured real close to a 3/4" group. My reloads are a 205 grain wadcutter in front of 4.6 grains of Trail Boss in a 44 Special case. A very pleasant and accurate round.

Out of the box, the single action trigger pull was extremely gritty and over 8 lbs. I pulled it apart and did the usual polishing to lighten things up. Single Action trigger pull is now 3 3/4 lbs. I'm not fond of the new internals or the black coating on them. The fitting of the detent ball on the crane (yoke) doesn't line up. I could go into more issues, but I won't. I bought it because I thought it would be a nice little pack around type gun.

If you are looking for a somewhat compact 44 revolver, I would think that you all would like this one.

I bought it for $723.99 from Shotgun Johnny's. You go to their website and purchase it there.

Where did you get the 205 grain full wadcutters?

deadcoyote
10-08-2016, 6:39 PM
I keep emailing smith & Wesson telling them to release a 3" model so I can buy it but they don't seem to care what my hella white
Trash self has to say.