PDA

View Full Version : Registered firearm - can I buy?

caiman
09-25-2008, 8:29 AM

localguy
09-25-2008, 8:30 AM
An offlist rifle? Are you talking an OLL receiver?

Fjold
09-25-2008, 8:36 AM
If he registered it when the CA ban took place. It is probably a registered assualt weapon. Check with him and see if it is that.

If so, it (the lower receiver) cannot be transferred in state.

geeknow
09-25-2008, 8:57 AM
If he registered it when the CA ban took place. It is probably a registered assualt weapon. Check with him and see if it is that.

If so, it (the lower receiver) cannot be transferred in state.

Yeah, what he said. Additionally, if the seller is a friend and the lower IS listed and registered, you may want to tell him/her that they cannot sell that lower in Cali save but for a licensed AW Dealer.

CHS
09-25-2008, 9:25 AM
It was my understanding that as long as the rifle is not a named rifle, and you remove the features that make it an AW, you can "de-register" it.

So if he add's a bullet button and slaps a 10rd'er in, it is no longer an AW by feature and can be de-registered and sold to a civilian.

Is this not true?

hybridatsun350
09-25-2008, 9:28 AM
It was my understanding that as long as the rifle is not a named rifle, and you remove the features that make it an AW, you can "de-register" it.

So if he add's a bullet button and slaps a 10rd'er in, it is no longer an AW by feature and can be de-registered and sold to a civilian.

Is this not true?

I don't believe so. Once an assault weapon always an assault weapon.

Shane916
09-25-2008, 9:39 AM

Is this not true?

Correct. That is my understanding as well.

ohsmily
09-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't believe so. Once an assault weapon always an assault weapon.

*sigh* NO!!! Where do you get this stuff? If it isn't a listed model, the features can be removed and it can be de-registered.

To the OP, why the hell would your friend want to sell a properly registered assault weapon? Under current law, he can NEVER get another one while living in CA. If he needs money, he can strip the rifle down, sell the parts, and keep the registered receiver.

sorensen440
09-25-2008, 10:16 AM
If he needs money, he can strip the rifle down, sell the parts, and keep the registered receiver.

I agree 100%

CHS
09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
To the OP, why the hell would your friend want to sell a properly registered assault weapon? Under current law, he can NEVER get another one while living in CA.

Maybe he's just REALLY optimistic about Heller? :)

If he needs money, he can strip the rifle down, sell the parts, and keep the registered receiver.

Yeah, this is exactly the way I would go. Registered AW's are precious in CA. Hell, even if I never even wanted to shoot the damn thing, I'd keep one just to keep it.

bwiese
09-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Reaffirming:

reg'd AWs effectively can't be transferred;
a Cat 3 off-list receiver registered as an AW *can* be deregistered w/DOJ and then transferred;
anyone selling off a (formerly) reg'd AW is crazy (until we take the ban down)

nobs11
09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
The person selling is not a friend. I ran across him on an auction site. I don't know him or his reasons for selling. I did manage to get him to agree to a PPT but then he told me that it was registered.

Did you ask him specifically if it is a registered AW before the ban? If it is then he should know that he can't sell within the state unless he deregisters. A lot of people confuse DROS with registration. Might be a non AW OLL.

ar15barrels
09-25-2008, 1:32 PM
A LOT of people don't fully understand registration.
People equate DROS with registration.
For handguns, they are one and the same.
Long guns are different though.
There is no registration of long guns in CA, except for assault rifle registration.

Ask him if he has a DOJ letter for the rifle.
If he does not know what that is, it's not registered.
In that case, he's just ignorant of what registration is.

Also, what is the make/model of the rifle?
That will tell us a LOT about wether it's even possible that it's a RAW (registered assault weapon) or not...

ar15barrels
09-25-2008, 2:56 PM
By looking at the pictures that he has, there is no mag lock on the open well. His current buyer is out of state, so he's in the green as far as selling. Believe he thought I was LE and could purchase...don't know the facts around that nor do I care. Either way, I'm moving on to the next one that comes up. It was an STG58 built on an Entreprise receiver.

Acording to the state, he can NOT ship the gun out of state himself.
ONLY a AW dealer can ship it out of state.

However, he could take it apart and then de-register it himself, then ship it out of state.