PDA

View Full Version : Glock G30/36 Hybrid

916rocco
08-04-2016, 1:43 PM
(FrankinGlock)

I've heard this will work without any modifications. Can anyone confirm? Will it work with the following frames G30, G30SF, G29, G29SF?

I have a G36 and sure would love the option of having the thinner slide on a frame that would support more rounds. I know.. I know.. Glock makes the G30S, but guess what?!? I don't have one!! So I thought of working with what I have to achieve the same outcome.

And for any LEO's out there is this Okay to carry with my CCW in Sac Co or is it a violation of my permit? (FYI - G36 is currently on my permit as to date.)

Thanks in advance!

_TomT_
08-04-2016, 2:15 PM
It won't be 100% reliable, just sell your 30SF and look for a G30S on the Market Place. They can be had for $650-$750 depending on seller.

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/gallery/shot-show-2013-day-one/glock-30s-comparison-2013-shot-show.jpg

Tripper
08-04-2016, 2:17 PM
i have 30sf and 36, and have put the 36 slide on the 30sf, and it works fine, i did not have any issues with it, but then i only did like a mag or maybe 2 in that state as i recall.
it may be fine on a CCW, since the frame is still the same and the caliber is unchanged, but thats a ? for your IA that issues the permit.

dmesloh
08-04-2016, 3:01 PM
(FrankinGlock)

I've heard this will work without any modifications. Can anyone confirm? Will it work with the following frames G30, G30SF, G29, G29SF?

I have a G36 and sure would love the option of having the thinner slide on a frame that would support more rounds. I know.. I know.. Glock makes the G30S, but guess what?!? I don't have one!! So I thought of working with what I have to achieve the same outcome.

And for any LEO's out there is this Okay to carry with my CCW in Sac Co or is it a violation of my permit? (FYI - G36 is currently on my permit as to date.)

Thanks in advance!

I haven't had any issues shooting my 30SF with my 36 slide installed 100% reliable so far.

justagun
08-04-2016, 11:14 PM
All to take off .14" off the slide?

Mopar Guy
08-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Basically, a G30s is a G30 sf frame on a G36 slide and barrel. That is about it. It is also assembled in a Glock factory. Don't think one would have any issues switching out the two from those models to create a G30s. They are all factory specs. As far as a CCW, I think it could cause confusion. The identification of the model will be different on the slide and you would have to have the G30 on your permit since that is the lower. I opted for a G30s. I suppose that would depend on the IA. It does sound problematic for a CCW gun. Sac county is probably strict. I still wouldn't try it in El Dorado County, they may approve but have heard they don't really like modifications but would allow multiple calibers. It is also more of an issue if the weapon was used and had to be surrendered for an investigation. It would raise questions, why the model on the slide does not match the weapon listed on the permit.

Sliik
08-05-2016, 12:24 PM
100% will work flawlessly.

The SF frame is the best to put the 36 slide on.

916rocco
08-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback! I have gotten confirmation on what I wanted to hear. I'm going to go forward with the swap out and take it to the range for testing. A range report will be added to this thread later for anybody who gives a ****... haha..

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Lead Waster
08-05-2016, 1:01 PM
Just FYI, if you have a 30S, and look at the frame, you'll notice that it says 30SF on it.

And just to point out, depending on your FFL, that a frame stamped 30SF means a 30SF should go on your 4473. And the 30SF is on roster.

Just saying.

bk23103
08-06-2016, 1:00 AM
Just FYI, if you have a 30S, and look at the frame, you'll notice that it says 30SF on it.

And just to point out, depending on your FFL, that a frame stamped 30SF means a 30SF should go on your 4473. And the 30SF is on roster.

Just saying.

This. :)

44fred
08-06-2016, 7:42 AM
Pearce +1 extension plus stiffer mag spring on your 36 will give you a very nice set up. Very thin and very concealable.
I did a little sanding on the frame and mag base plates to blend better for my XXL hands. Those darn finger grooves never line up with big hands.

Gonumber24
08-06-2016, 7:48 AM
I have a 36 and a 30, both gen 3. I am able to put the 36 slide and barrel on the 30 frame. Pretty cool. As far as AFS goes, as long as both are registered to you, if Leo runs them, they can run it by frame, barrel, slide, etc.

AFTII
08-06-2016, 8:43 AM
Just FYI, if you have a 30S, and look at the frame, you'll notice that it says 30SF on it. . . ..

Actually, the 30S frame just says "SF." There is no "30" reference. Its the same frame used for the 30SF, 30S, and 29SF. The Gen 3, G 30 doesn't have any model designators on the frame. This same frame was used for the G 29 as well.

To add to the confusion, the slide on the 30 SF is marked "30" - the same as the Gen 3, G 30. The Slide on the G 30S is marked "30 S".

My point, I guess, is that carrying anything but a G 30 or G 36 on your CCW could cause issues because the model designation does not necessarily match the model designator on the slide and an ignorant and/or obstreperous LEO could hook you up because your gun model and CCW do not match up. When you carry a Frankenglock, be prepared to do some 'splainen. Not saying you should or shouldn't carry it. Just be prepared to explain why the gun's markings do not match the CCW and why its not a violation.

Dvrjon
08-06-2016, 10:43 AM
...is this Okay to carry with my CCW in Sac Co or is it a violation of my permit? (FYI - G36 is currently on my permit as to date.)

Thanks in advance![/B]GLOCK frames, slides and barrels are numbered to match a single pistol. If you mix parts, you mix numbers.

Since the frame is the firearm, I suspect carrying the slide from your permitted G36 on your non-permitted G30SF frame may put you at some risk:

Look at your CCW.
Look at the entry for firearm serial number.
Now look at your 30SF frame.
Look at the serial number. It includes "SF".
The G30SF is not on your license.
You are not authorized to carry that gun.
I suspect law enforcement personnel will not be pleased.

To carry this, you will have to qualify with it.
Your qualifying instructor will need to see the gun and enter the information on the qualification form.
The slide will say "G36", so that's what will be on your license. If your instructor is sloppy, they may take the barrel/slide number and record it.
If they. Do it correctly, the will record the frame number for G30SF, so that will be on the license.
If the gun is run by law enforcement, it will come back as a "G30SF".
The serial number will match, but the make/model won't.
Again, LEOs seem displeased when details are not clear.

Either scenario means you get to try to explain to a street cop what you've done and why it's ok. They most likely won't be interested in the discussion, because there is something not right. I don't see you leaving with your gun. In some instances, I don't see you leaving on your own. Then, you get to report the encounter to Sac Sheriff CCW and explain it again.

Qualify with the G30SF and carry it.

Gonumber24
08-06-2016, 11:07 AM
GLOCK frames, slides and barrels are numbered to match a single pistol. If you mix parts, you mix numbers.

Since the frame is the firearm, I suspect carrying the slide from your permitted G36 on your non-permitted G30SF frame may put you at some risk:

Look at your CCW.
Look at the entry for firearm serial number.
Now look at your 30SF frame.
Look at the serial number. It includes "SF".
The G30SF is not on your license.
You are not authorized to carry that gun.
I suspect law enforcement personnel will not be pleased.

To carry this, you will have to qualify with it.
Your qualifying instructor will need to see the gun and enter the information on the qualification form.
The slide will say "G36", so that's what will be on your license. If your instructor is sloppy, they may take the barrel/slide number and record it.
If they. Do it correctly, the will record the frame number for G30SF, so that will be on the license.
If the gun is run by law enforcement, it will come back as a "G30SF".
The serial number will match, but the make/model won't.
Again, LEOs seem displeased when details are not clear.

Either scenario means you get to try to explain to a street cop what you've done and why it's ok. They most likely won't be interested in the discussion, because there is something not right. I don't see you leaving with your gun. In some instances, I don't see you leaving on your own. Then, you get to report the encounter to Sac Sheriff CCW and explain it again.

Qualify with the G30SF and carry it.
I personally disagree IF all the numbers that are ran through AFS come back clear and to the possessor of the firearm. I would think most leo would agree.

But: I would qualify the Franken glock through your CCW instructor.

Dvrjon
08-06-2016, 12:08 PM
I personally disagree IF all the numbers that are ran through AFS come back clear and to the possessor of the firearm. I would think most leo would agree.Disagreement is fine. However, since "most" is 51%, up to 49% wouldn't. Not great odds, but, your life; your dice. Roll 'em.

If the frame of the pistol is not listed on your license, you are carrying a concealed weapon and a loaded weapon (two misdemeanor charges) without a license. All registration gets you is exclusion from an upgrade to felony.But: I would qualify the Franken glock through your CCW instructor.So, you do agree that not having the G30SF on the license is an issue? If he qualifies the FrankenGlock, then the frame number goes on the license. What's the point of sticking the G36 slide on it...a width reduction of less than 0.2"?

Effective and safe CCW is difficult enough. There is no need to interject additional variables into the risk analysis and increase the ambiguity of the situation.

Best.

DougB
10-31-2016, 12:43 PM
Regarding function: I have a Glock 29SF (10mm) and a Glock 36 single-stack .45 ACP. I regularly use the Glock 36 slide and barrel on the 29SF frame. The combination works fine. I asked a Glock representative (not just someone trained by Glock - an actual Glock employee in a face-to-face conversation) about this combination, and he confirmed (somewhat to my surprise) that the Glock 30s is exactly this combination of frame and slide - nothing is mechanically different, and he didn't see any problem with me using this hybrid.

Regarding the Legality for CCW: I have my Glock 29SF listed on my CCW permit, and the caliber listed as "10mm/.45 ACP." The officer at the Sheriff's Dept. once asked: "So you have a conversion kit or something?" And I explained, and he didn't have a problem with it. I believe the firearm is defined by the serial number on the frame. That is a Glock 29SF, per Glock, FFL, and state records. The identical frame (which is only marked "SF" - no model) could also have been used to build a 30SF or a 30S. So the only way to really identify the firearm model is to check the serial number. I agree that having the G36 slide could create confusion. I'm considering having the slide engraved with something like this after the G36 marking "/G29SF .45 ACP Conversion" just to avoid confusion. While the different serial number on G36 barrel could also create confusion, I think most officers will recognize that the frame serial number is the one that counts. I've never been asked to show my firearm to a law enforcement officer (and don't expect to), but if the serial number and caliber match what is on my permit, and I can explain the slide markings, I wouldn't expect a problem. At most, they might ask me to clarify the apparent model discrepancy on my permit or something.

I think this makes a pretty nice combination, and more-or-less gives me two guns for the space of one on my CCW permit. I like the 10mm for use in the outdoors where I might have to shoot a large animal. However, installing the G36 slide and barrel makes the gun significantly thinner and lighter for carrying in town, and I think 10+1 round of .45 ACP are perfectly adequate for self-defense against humans.

Rockit
10-31-2016, 12:53 PM
It doesn't seem like much, but makes a huge difference when ccw

love my 30s

SkyHawk
10-31-2016, 1:09 PM

It doesn't seem like much, but makes a huge difference when ccw

love my 30s

It does make all the difference - night and day.

cockedandglocked
11-01-2016, 1:45 AM
Get a G29 instead of a G30. If you buy a G30, you really only have 2 configurations you can make with it - A G30, and a G30S.

But with a G29 frame, you can have a G29 and a G30S. Much better combo, IMO.

And yes, I have made a G29/36 frankenglock, and it was 100% reliable when I did it. I don't know why some people think it might not be reliable, the upper on a G30S is exactly a G36 upper, with a different rollmark on the side. And the Frame on a G30S is exactly a G29/30 frame. So if it doesn't work well, something is wrong with your frame or slide.

Really the only "reports" of it being less than reliable are from people repeating things they've heard other people theorize about on forums in the past. If you ask anyone who's actually done it, they will all tell you it's just as reliable as a factory G30S.

steelholder
11-01-2016, 7:57 AM
Get a g30 not a g30s or g30sf.
Amazing gun with potential to shoot almost any handgun caliber.

cockedandglocked
11-01-2016, 9:28 AM
Get a g30 not a g30s or g30sf.

Huh? Why? Not only is that not what the OP was asking, but your recommendation makes no sense.

M76
11-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Handled a G36 today at LGS, felt good in my mitts. I was thinking
with a round chambered and a pierce +1 you get 8 rounds.

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=1013942

^^^cockedandglocked; great avatar!^^^