PDA

View Full Version : carbine transfre from father to son???

sparky308@aol.com
09-24-2008, 8:17 PM
For my Paramedic graduation present my dad built me a carbine out of parts he has had for years. My question is do i need to go through an ffl to do the transfer? or any other paperwork?
thanks for all your help.

Quiet
09-24-2008, 8:28 PM
As long as your dad lives in CA and the firearm in question is a longarm (rifle/shotgun), no paperwork is required.

If your dad lives in another state, it has to be transfered through a CA 01-FFL dealer.

aplinker
09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Assuming it's not an AW, then the above is correct. You'll want to look over the flow chart (http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf).

scubamark13
09-25-2008, 8:01 AM
You must have a great dad. What did he build you?

sparky308@aol.com
09-25-2008, 7:32 PM
He wont tell me what it is yet he says it is a suprise. I will be going up to his house in a few weeks so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for the help.

Mark One
09-25-2008, 7:34 PM
This bring another question I had

If someone has a C&R and decides to give a couple of long guns away to a family member what does he/she need to do?

jacques
09-25-2008, 7:47 PM
Here is a thread that discussed this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=22431&highlight=transferring+firearm+family

Mark One
09-25-2008, 8:00 PM
Here is a thread that discussed this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=22431&highlight=transferring+firearm+family

Thank you

Mssr. Eleganté
09-25-2008, 8:17 PM
This bring another question I had

If someone has a C&R and decides to give a couple of long guns away to a family member what does he/she need to do?

That depends on what your definition of "family" is. If they are not your parent, child, grandparent or grandchild then they are treated just like everybody else. That means you can give your 18+ year old brother/cousin/uncle a 50+ year old C&R long gun. Then you log it out of your bound book with their personal information. C&R long guns that are less than 50 years old and C&R hanguns would need to be transfered through a Type 01 FFL.

If you are talking about a parent/child/grandparent/grandchild transfer then you can transfer any of your C&R firearms to them. For long guns you just log the gun out to them as normal. For handguns you just log the gun out to them and then have them send in the Op Law/Intra-familial Report form.

One thing to note however. Since you are an FFL you can't transfer a C&R handgun to anybody under the age of 21 or a C&R long gun to anybody under the age of 18. This means you can't give a C&R handgun to your 18 year old son. If you wanted to give him a handgun it would have to be a modern one. And if you give your 15 year old daughter a rifle, it has to be non-C&R as well. Or I guess you could transfer the C&R firearms to your wife and then she could give them to your children.

leelaw
09-25-2008, 8:23 PM
If the gun would be legal for you to purchase from an FFL today, and your father is a resident of California, it would work like this:

"Son, congrats, and have this."
<you take rifle>
"Golly, pops, this is awful nice."

The end. :p

jacques
09-25-2008, 8:36 PM
If the gun would be legal for you to purchase from an FFL today, and your father is a resident of California, it would work like this:

"Son, congrats, and have this."
<you take rifle>
"Golly, pops, this is awful nice."

The end. :p

That is very clear. Thank you. :D