PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Plinking?

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 9:55 AM
Hi all,

I saw something in a recent article that mentioned that some shooters were buying shotguns because the ammo is cheaper. Is this true?

I ask because my local range has a nice metal target pistol/pistol caliber rifles/shotgun range where you can let loose, and I've thought about getting a cheap shotty to plink around with (not really interested in skeet/trap/hunting at this point). Is there cheap shotgun ammo to be found for plinking, and if so, what does it work out to per round? Does Walmart have a shotgun equivalent of their cheapo Federal .22lr bricks?

stphnman20
09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I get my shells from wally world. 100shells for 20 bucks. I get two packs just to plink with.

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Would they have the same deal at the Valencia Walmart? I don't think we have any Wally Worlds around here.

stphnman20
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats where I get mine from.. I got to 3 different Walmart in Santa Clarita. And while your up there go to APS to shot them.

Joe_13
09-24-2008, 12:02 PM
There will never be shotgun ammo as cheap as .22. .. sorry.
Walmart is the cheapest place to get shotgun ammo though.
So when you go, stock up. You can never have too many shotgun shells.

Why not trap and skeet!? Those games are fuuuun!

DJ Skillz
09-24-2008, 1:24 PM

+1

Soo much more fun than shooting stuff that doesn't move. :D

Plus, clay pigeons are cheap too.

What Just Happened?
09-24-2008, 1:36 PM
Shotgun shells are about the same price as 9mm.

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 1:41 PM
Lol, yeah, nothing will be as cheap as .22lr. The prices you guys quote are fine by me -- I don't know if my shoulder/chest could take more than 100 rounds of 12 ga. anyways. Nice to know Walmart is the place to go for shells/9mm. Btw, I heard Target in Valencia also had 9mm cheap -- true?

sorensen440
09-24-2008, 1:48 PM
shotgun shells are very cheap
its the cost of plastic vs metal

stphnman20
09-24-2008, 1:54 PM
I've never seen Target carry ammo.. Well not in my area..

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 2:02 PM
Yeah, me neither, though I wondered if it was different out there in the "hinterlands" ;)

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 2:40 PM
Also, can you still do skeet/trap effectively with a tactical shotty, or is that pretty much a waste of ammo?

trickyvic
09-24-2008, 3:03 PM
I've been told you can do it with a tactical shotty. I think I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend with my 22" FN SLP.

Moonclip
09-24-2008, 7:16 PM
Also, can you still do skeet/trap effectively with a tactical shotty, or is that pretty much a waste of ammo?

If you don't take too long of shots.

Ballistic043
09-24-2008, 7:23 PM
it really depends on the length of barrel and choke. tactical shotguns are designed for close range work, with usually no or little choke and an 18 inch barrel or less. this will give you good skeet results up to about 20yd, but anything past that is questionable.

i do tactical skeet and the 590 is really good at taking out clays. i usually prefer a bead sight, as the GRS was kind of getting in the way. but i can still do fairly well; here's a video of me murdering clays at about 10 yd.. just some plinking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyw3I2BdaM

stphnman20
09-24-2008, 7:24 PM
I have never done trap or skeet but I heard that it's a waste of ammo using a tactical shotgun that are 18in.

Hamster16
09-24-2008, 8:55 PM
i bought a remington 870 security model with an 18 inch barrel for $300 on sale at big 5. i get rounds at wal mart but i stick to the federal because the winchester had a tendency to jam in my 870 even after i sent it into remington for repairs. my buddie got a mossburg 500 from big 5 for 250 and ive never seen it jam even with the same winchester rounds that jammed in my 870. ive tried shooting clays at a place to shoot with the 870 and i could hit about 1 in 4 clays maybe worse but my buddie with the same gun was able to hit 7 out of 8 or even 8 of 8 because he has been shooting for about 6 months longer than me so the long answer is if you practice you can hit a lot of clay with a security shotgun but my buddie who has shot clay with a long barrel says its way easier. by the way there is a wal mart almost on the way to a place to shoot if your coming from santa clarita here http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=27931+Kelly+Johnson+Parkway,+Santa+Clarita&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 9:18 PM
Good to hear the Mossbergs are so reliable. I was thinking about cheaping out and getting a lower-price shotgun, but now that I've heard this, I think I'll get a Mossburg sometime when they are on sale again at Big 5 (which seems like every week) and I've got the budget.

fusionstar
09-24-2008, 9:21 PM
Shotguns are my favorite at the range because they provide the most fun:cost ratio.

40 bucks gets you 200 rounds from walmart, that will last the whole day. Get a good butpad.

Also..

walmart had 90 clays for $7.77 a few days ago. Which is pretty cheap but we did a full days shooting from morning to dusk for little over 100 bucks in the shotgun department.

Get a 7$ manual clay thrower,

870 $350 OTD
Ammo $20/100rds
Clays $8/90
Slave or Clay thrower $7

You can probably get a used 870 for 250.

Hours of fun.

valleyguy
09-24-2008, 9:56 PM
I think Angeles (my range of choice) provides their own clays. Anyone know how much that costs there? Can't find any prices for that on their site.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-25-2008, 9:36 PM
hell ya shotguns are great plinking toys.
wide variety of hole sizes you can make. One really big one. few large ones. or tons of little ones.

scubamark13
09-26-2008, 10:45 AM
You should try shooting clays it is a blast. I have the Knox recoil reducing stock on mine and it makes it a pleasure to shoot all day.

Echidin
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
No Target does in my area either, probably for obvious reasons.

garion
09-26-2008, 1:59 PM
There will never be shotgun ammo as cheap as .22. .. sorry.
Walmart is the cheapest place to get shotgun ammo though.
So when you go, stock up. You can never have too many shotgun shells.

it doesn't seem all walmarts sell ammo...do they?

fusionstar
09-26-2008, 2:08 PM

Nope, I believe it is up to the manager of the individual wal-marts. There are 5 walmarts within 30 minutes of me, only 3 of them carry ammo. But of that 3 only ONE sells pistol or rifle ammo. Otherwise its just crates and crates of 100rd bulk packs of shotshells.

garion
09-26-2008, 3:20 PM
Nope, I believe it is up to the manager of the individual wal-marts. There are 5 walmarts within 30 minutes of me, only 3 of them carry ammo. But of that 3 only ONE sells pistol or rifle ammo. Otherwise its just crates and crates of 100rd bulk packs of shotshells.

is there some way to check? (calling is the best bet huh?)

althought i doubt any of them sell ammo in the bay area...

SkatinJJ
09-26-2008, 9:05 PM
I've used my buddy's Mossberg for shooting clays and hit most of the time. It was an old-fashioned good time to fire, reload and fire again on two, three clays at a time. The Mossberg wasn't as smooth as his 870, but it performed well in the desert with wind, dust and multiple clasys in the air.

I've offered on it, but he won't budge from it, his 870 and three other shtoguns...I'm sure that someday, I'll get him in a game of poker and walk away armed. :jump:

Two Shots
09-26-2008, 9:26 PM

If your doing trap you'll need to catch them ASAP when they come out of the trap house. Friend had his Win Defender and was getting 10 or 11 out of 25 first time he tried traps with a riot gun. So it is a little bit of a waste, but it is practice.

11Z50
09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Get creative with your shotgun shooting and plinking with cheap ammo will be great fun. Wally now carries 00B and slugs, as well as the best deal around on birdshot. Some ideas:

1) Find some 4X4 or similar chunks of dimension lumber. (taller is better) If you can find 4-5 foot tall pieces you are in biz. Stand them up in random positions downrange and knock 'em down with birdshot. Great fun and good weapon manipulation practice.

2) Shoot 1 gallon milk jugs full of water with slugs......total fin

3) Put a piece of plywood inside an old tire. Put some kind of paper target on the plywood. Shooter takes position, helper rolls tire down hill. (helper has cover) Shooter blasts with buckshot. Loads of fun.

And then there's clays.....and steel with buck....

A shotgun is a great all-around weapon and one may have loads of fun blasting away at minimal cost. .22's are fun, but nothing beats a 12 gauge riot gun for true Calguns fun!

AJD
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
valleyguy if I'm correct you said you live in Valencia? Aplacetoshoot range is just 8 miles up San Francisquito road and would be the closet range to you. I live in Santa Clarita and go there all the time. They have clay bird throwers that are set up that you can use. They also sell the clay birds there as well. According to their website they sell the standard clay biodegradble birds for 12.95 for a box of 135. Also the Walmart right on the corner of Copper Hill and I think McBean sells a lot of ammo and would have plenty of the 12 gauge 100rd value packs for sale. Good luck!

gunn
09-27-2008, 1:10 PM
is there some way to check? (calling is the best bet huh?)

althought i doubt any of them sell ammo in the bay area...

Milpitas and the one in Mountain View = YES (shotgun, rifle, pistol)
Oakland (Alameda County) = NO
Pleasanton = NO

-g

pl408
09-27-2008, 1:20 PM

wal mart does not sell ammo in contra costa and alameda counties :(