PDA

View Full Version : LMT Sopmod or Magpul UBR?

Solidsnake87
09-23-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm building an two AR-10s. One is for F-class and another for tactical. I'm currently building the tac model and am trying to decide on the stock to use. I'm thinking a carbine stock would be kind of a cool change from the PRS stocks I'm already rocking. I'm kinda thinking of either the LMT Sopmod or Magpul UBR. Which do you think I ought to go with and why? I know I'll use either one fully extended due to eye relief purposes. Do either of these stocks have adjustable cheek rests? I'm all for constant, repeatable, and solid cheek welds....Perhaps I should rock another PRS?????

technique
09-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I use a Vltor, cuz I like the cheek weld. Sopmod is very nice though.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/bolts005.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/technique408/aca308001.jpg

It can be used with both a carbine buffer tube or A2

aplinker
09-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I might pick the UBR just because it's heavier and will balance the AR10 better.

The SOPMOD has the best cheek weld, especially for those who are capable of growing facial hair. ;) It's probably my favorite true carbine stock, but the UBR has its place, as does the CTR.

Neither are adjustable cheek welds.

btw, KAC runs SOPMODs.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x82/uclaplinker/KAC.jpg

technique
09-23-2008, 11:36 PM
The SOPMOD has the best cheek weld, especially for those who are capable of growing facial hair. ;)

I hate nothing more then a carbine stock that rips my facial hair out! Well said, and thank gawd I'm not alone.:)

Jpach
09-23-2008, 11:46 PM
UCLA, why would you post that so late? Now ill never get to sleep!!!!

DedEye
09-24-2008, 12:17 AM
I hate nothing more then a carbine stock that rips my facial hair out! Well said, and thank gawd I'm not alone.:)

Then it seems it's time for you to abandon the VLTOR ;).

X-NewYawker
09-24-2008, 5:32 AM
LMT Sop Mod. It's the nicest butt I've had against my face.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4657.jpg

Ballistic043
09-24-2008, 5:56 AM
with many collapsible stocks, it is common for there to be movement in the extended position; so if you use a scope or do any kind of bench rest/bipod shooting, accuracy may suffer.

im running a vltor modstock (collapsible) on my scoped build and while it does offer a good place to rest my face, it does jiggle a bit. so if you MUST use a collapsible stock, i would go with the LMT. it has a similar weld than the vltor but locks up tighter

however, if it was up to me, id i highly reccomend the vltor fixed stock. its rock solid and has a longer cheekweld than the sopmod. yes it can grab your facial hair, but unless your a cave man who doesnt shave every day thats usually not a problem.

pc_city
09-24-2008, 6:11 AM
I'm using a EMOD on my N6.
http://members.aol.com/riveter/N6.jpg

I "grouted" the cheek weld adapter teeth with black RTV (silicone adhesive). Get it at the auto parts store.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_2018_129942356
It's really dark grey unless you run a black Sharpy over it after it dries.

emc002
09-24-2008, 6:46 AM
I've got a SOPMOD on my 16" AR-10 CQB style rifle.

scubamark13
09-24-2008, 7:04 AM
I love my SOPMOD I don't think I will buy another stock for a tactical rifle.

chuck762
09-24-2008, 7:38 AM
I like the sopmod and the emod stocks. If I was putting a collapsible stock on a AR10 I would use the emod just because it is a little heavier and longer. It balances a little better than the sopmod on the 10.

Solidsnake87
09-24-2008, 7:53 AM
The rifle will be shooting out to 800. I doubt this particular build will give decent accuracy beyond that--which is why I'm doing another build for F-class. If the cheek welds for these collapsing stocks are going to be a problem for shooting these distances then I'll go PRS.

Anybody rolling a collapsing stock that also shoots out to these distances? I'd like ur opinions. I figure with a parallax adjust--I should be o.k.--assuming I have time to adjust during competition. lol. I've only shot out to these distances with huge, heavy rifles with constant cheek welds and no wobble.

shark92651
09-24-2008, 8:50 AM
LMT Sop Mod. It's the nicest butt I've had against my face.

Lets not get crazy here :D

technique
09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Then it seems it's time for you to abandon the VLTOR ;).

The Vltor is fine, Its not collapsible.

ETA, and actually I run the Vltor carbine collapsible stock on my 5.56, I haven't had it pull out hair yet.

AlohaRover
09-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I really like the new UBRs. hard to decide wh9ich I prefer UBR or the VLTOR eMod.

Solidsnake87
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Do any of these stocks have practically no wobble?????

Sniper3142
09-24-2008, 12:30 PM

The LMT Sopmod, EMOD, and Magpul UBR all have almost no wiggle in any position.

Try before you buy if possible and decide from that. All of these stocks are well made and should work well.

Jicko
09-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I have both.

LMT SOPMOD in my M4 setup.

Magpul UBR in my Mark 12 Mod 1 SPR.

It really depends on your upper, if ur upper is front heavy, then you would want a heavier rear....

aplinker
09-24-2008, 1:38 PM

UBR has no wobble of the type you're concerned about - since the cheekweld part never moves.

Again, its extra weight is probably a good thing for the AR10, but then it's $100 more than the SOPMOD, which is such a nice stock.

ChrisXD45T
09-24-2008, 1:53 PM
UBR has no wobble of the type you're concerned about - since the cheekweld part never moves.

Again, its extra weight is probably a good thing for the AR10, but then it's $100 more than the SOPMOD, which is such a nice stock.
Are you sure about the price difference?
The UBR comes with everything minus the buffer and spring for about $245.
The SOPMOD with everything minus the buffer and spring I've seen go for around $265.
I definitely agree that the weight of the UBR, while not welcome on a carbine, would be beneficial on a 308 build.
I have a UBR on a 16" 5.56 build and I like the extra length it gives me, but it's just so heavy. I plan on building another lower with a SOPMOD to use for the 16" upper and putting my 20" DMR/SPR type upper on the lower with the UBR and hopefully it will balance better.

aplinker
09-24-2008, 1:59 PM
Are you sure about the price difference?
The UBR comes with everything minus the buffer and spring for about $245.
The SOPMOD with everything minus the buffer and spring I've seen go for around $265.
I definitely agree that the weight of the UBR, while not welcome on a carbine, would be beneficial on a 308 build.
I have a UBR on a 16" 5.56 build and I like the extra length it gives me, but it's just so heavy. I plan on building another lower with a SOPMOD to use for the 16" upper and putting my 20" DMR/SPR type upper on the lower with the UBR and hopefully it will balance better.

you're right... UBR price has dropped, but your SOPMOD price is a little high.

ChrisXD45T
09-24-2008, 3:04 PM
you're right... UBR price has dropped, but your SOPMOD price is a little high.
I got the price from calguns sponsors. :confused:
It's the price for the full kit; stock, receiver extension, castle nut, and plate.
It might be less expensive elsewhere, like you say.

Jicko
09-24-2008, 3:17 PM
I love my SOPMOD I don't think I will buy another stock for a tactical rifle.

I agree with that!!! I had gone thru so many different stock, and at the end.... LMT SOPMOD is the one i liked BEST...

pc_city
09-24-2008, 5:57 PM
I tried a lot of stocks for my N6. SOPMOD was excellent but EMOD and AR-10 just seemed to be a better match -- just feels better. The SOPMOD ended up on my N4 ... excellent.

http://members.aol.com/riveter/Noveskes.jpg

Addax
09-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Magpul UBR.

I own 2 and I just love this stock vs. the LMT and Vltor.

I have tried the Vltor and LMT, but the UBR is a better fitting stock for me.