View Full Version : SMLE Jungle Carbine Problem

09-23-2008, 8:49 PM
I recently purchased an Enfield No. 5 MkI carbine and I disassembled it to clean it according to instructions on surplusrifle.com and after I was finished, I reassmbled it, but ran into an issue when trying to reinstall the bolt. When I put it back in, and after I get it past the bolt head catch, there is alot of resistance to the bolt closing and I cannot close it; when let go, the bolt springs back. Sometimes it can close, but when I pull the trigger, the striker only goes slightly forward and stops, and the bolt is difficult to manipulate. I tried taking the trigger assembly off and putting it on again a few times, but this did not help. I cannot seem to find any info regarding to a cure to this problem, and I was wondering what can be done to get this thing properly assembled again.

09-23-2008, 9:27 PM
You might want to post this in the C & R section, more info there. My guess is that the safety is part way on or, since the bolt head screws into the bolt body maybe it's out one turn?

Not sure on the safety position, but I believe it needs to be swung either all the way back or forward.

09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
You just solved the problem. The bolt head needed to be screwed in a bit. Once I did that, the problem went away. Thanks.

09-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Yah the front of the enfield bolts just screws into the main bolt, it has to be screwed in so when the bolt operates it about stops on the last thread. -I hope that makes sense. I have had similar problems with my no4 mk1, its just a matter of finding out how far to screw in the bolt.