PDA

View Full Version : AK issues...

shin_en
09-23-2008, 7:49 PM
i recently got my AK back from a forum member whom i asked to build it up for me (sent it to him april and actually had to drive out to get it back) and i am having issues w/the rifle. now the work on the rifle is great and it shoots fine, but there are some issues w/it none the less...

first off, i think the magazine catch was riveted in too close to the magwell, as the mag doesn't fit in properly. i had to file down part of lip of the mag catch for it to fit. my question is... is that okay? i mean magazines fit now and that's how i was able to get the rifle to run, but is this okay?

second issue i guess is that the trigger was installed too low. if you pull the trigger back all the wayit grinds up against the trigger guard and gets stuck. you have to pry it forward to get it to reengage. i guess this one is really just a rant as i plan to file down the bottom of the trigger to get it to work properly.

finally, and this one i think is a big one... i can't get the bolt out of the receiver! i took the rifle out this weekend to test it out and everything worked fine, but when i tried to clean it today i realized that i cant get the bolt out! i thought i was doing something wrong so i checked some online references and it looks like the bolt just slides right out. for mine it looks like the openning at the back of the receiver is too small to allow the bolt to come out... any suggestions on this?

(note: i didn't just send my rifle to some random forum member. i sent it to someone that has a good reputation on building aks up. i'd prefer not to name names either)
thanks

PIRATE14
09-23-2008, 8:00 PM
i recently got my AK back from a forum member whom i asked to build it up for me (sent it to him april and actually had to drive out to get it back) and i am having issues w/the rifle. now the work on the rifle is great and it shoots fine, but there are some issues w/it none the less...

first off, i think the magazine catch was riveted in too close to the magwell, as the mag doesn't fit in properly. i had to file down part of lip of the mag catch for it to fit. my question is... is that okay? i mean magazines fit now and that's how i was able to get the rifle to run, but is this okay?

second issue i guess is that the trigger was installed too low. if you pull the trigger back all the wayit grinds up against the trigger guard and gets stuck. you have to pry it forward to get it to reengage. i guess this one is really just a rant as i plan to file down the bottom of the trigger to get it to work properly.

finally, and this one i think is a big one... i can't get the bolt out of the receiver! i took the rifle out this weekend to test it out and everything worked fine, but when i tried to clean it today i realized that i cant get the bolt out! i thought i was doing something wrong so i checked some online references and it looks like the bolt just slides right out. for mine it looks like the openning at the back of the receiver is too small to allow the bolt to come out... any suggestions on this?

(note: i didn't just send my rifle to some random forum member. i sent it to someone that has a good reputation on building aks up. i'd prefer not to name names either)
thanks

Well.....we'll assume that you've already talked to the guy and he states that all is well and won't do anything for you.........

shin_en
09-23-2008, 8:03 PM
haha... actually i haven't. it was such a hassle for me to get it back i'd just rather see if there's something i can do to it rather than just sending it out. (had to drive out about 85miles to go get my AK)

JeffM
09-23-2008, 8:22 PM

That is normal. On newly built guns the magazine fit is usually made to be pretty tight. The magazine(s) you are using may be larger front to back than the magazines the builder used to test-fit the rifle. When I build my AKs I make sure it takes a pretty firm rock-back to make the mag latch.

ETA: it is a pretty common and acceptable fix to either file the locking tab on a magazine to make it fit the rifle, or to file on the magazine catch or the rear of the magazine well above the catch to let mags fit. If you file too far the magazine may fit too low, but if it runs the way you have it, then it's fine.

Not sure I quite understand this. Pics would help. Looking at my AKs this seems impossible unless the trigger is extremely long. If the trigger were installed too low, you would have bolt-follow issues because the disconnector would not catch the hammer.

The bolt carrier had to go in somehow, so it has to be able to come out. The rear trunnion may have been installed a little far forward to make everything else fit, limiting the length of the cutouts. Rock the bolt carrier to one side or the other as you pull up on it. Also make sure the bolt is forward in the carrier so it mates with its receiver cutout.

M. Sage
09-23-2008, 9:14 PM
The trigger isn't too low. Either the hammer spring is beside/under the trigger when it should be on top, or you need to open up the notch(es) for the trigger hook(s) to swing down through.

JeffM
09-23-2008, 9:23 PM
The trigger isn't too low. Either the hammer spring is beside/under the trigger when it should be on top, or you need to open up the notch(es) for the trigger hook(s) to swing down through.

I thought it was the hammer spring too at first, but what he said about the trigger binding against the trigger guard is a bit perplexing.

I guess the notch(es) in the receiver for the trigger hook(s) are too large, allowing the trigger to be pulled way too far back.

Does the bottom of the trigger bind against the back of the trigger guard? If so the trigger is over-traveling way too far.

thedrickel
09-23-2008, 9:56 PM
A romy-g/NDS3 build will almost always have the front trunnion set too far back . . . you gotta pay attention to how the holes line up when you're fitting the trunnion. IIRC the mag well rivets are in the right spot and the front 4 are too far back . . . but there is a little variation.

saki302
09-24-2008, 12:15 AM
All you risues can be fixed with hand files and patience- just file slowly and take your time- check often.
If the mag locks in and feeds, it is fine. It's an AK after all :D

I don't think it's possible for the trigger to sit too low- the pivot is already at the lowest point in the reciever- set it lower and the pin wouldn't stay in the gun! It may be possible your trigger guard is too short? That's a weird one though. OR it has a weird aftermarket trigger which is too long.. but filing ti until it works shouldn't be a problem either.

I suggest you post pics on here so we can better see what's going on.

-Dave

motorhead
09-24-2008, 8:41 AM
all common fitting issues with the ak. does the hammer ride the bolt. that's the only new ak prob you didn't mention. all require careful file work and patience. ak's are almost never plug and play. design flaws in the g2 fcg add to the mix. was your rec. converted to accept double hook trigger? is so check the aftermarket slot and file as req.. be careful enlarging the disassembly slot, too big and the b/c will jump out and say hi when fired. they sell lots of buffers for this. check the front notch for the bolt lugs too. this one is more murph proof and is usually too small or non existant. ak builder makes a marking guide for the top rails that gives you proper layout for the cuts.

-hanko
09-24-2008, 10:06 AM
...now the work on the rifle is great and it shoots fine, but there are some issues w/it none the less...

...first off, i think the magazine catch was riveted in too close to the magwell, as the mag doesn't fit in properly. i had to file down part of lip of the mag catch for it to fit...

...second issue i guess is that the trigger was installed too low. if you pull the trigger back all the wayit grinds up against the trigger guard and gets stuck. you have to pry it forward to get it to reengage. i guess this one is really just a rant as i plan to file down the bottom of the trigger to get it to work properly...

finally, and this one i think is a big one... i can't get the bolt out of the receiver!...for mine it looks like the openning at the back of the receiver is too small to allow the bolt to come out... any suggestions on this?

thanks
:confused::eek:
How does he have a "good reputation" if he's not function testing the rifle??

Moreso, did you pay him to build a rifle that works, or one you would have to file-on to work??

-hanko

scotthmt
09-24-2008, 12:52 PM
who built it? PM me