PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for 590A1

EdCo
09-23-2008, 9:30 AM
Hi, im a newb and im trying to buy my first firearm. I went to a local gun shop and kinda felt intimidated asking for what i was looking for. The person in behind the counter didn't help either (looked at me like if i was just there to look, not buy). Told him it was part#51663 but didn't bother to look for it. Anyways, they didn't have any 590's in stock. Is a 590A1 part#51663 a gun no one stocks? I know my first visit at a gun store wasn't really great, but is there any good shops you guys recommend in the orange county area? I just want to get the gun soon because i want to sign up for a first steps shotgun class. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What Just Happened?
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't think that you need to specify the 'part#51663'. Also, it's not the part number, it's the model number. I believe that Big 5 has some Mossberg 590's in stock. Ade's is always well recommended. Which store did you stop by?

SR-60
09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Have you tried the usual suspects - Turners in FV & Orange & Fowlers. You can try Ade's or J&J Armory to see if they have it or if they can order it for you. I haven't checked in a while, but the On-Target range in Laguna Niguel had some shotguns but I don't know if they have what you're looking for in stock.

EdCo
09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't think that you need to specify the 'part#51663'. Also, it's not the part number, it's the model number. I believe that Big 5 has some Mossberg 590's in stock. Ade's is always well recommended. Which store did you stop by?

I told them it was a 590A1 with heavy barrel, metal trigger guard and safety. He didn't know what i was talking about so i gave him the number that is on the Mossberg website which is Part#51663. It was Turners in Orange. I was kinda nervous since its the first time going to a gun store and im not really that familiar with guns so that didn't help. Anyways, on my drive home i notice Fowlers was on the same street. I'll check it out later. Thanks for the replies.:)

savasyn
09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
You might try asking for a Mossberg 590A1 instead of #51663. I have a 590A1 but had no idea it was #51663(if it even is).

When they pull one out, make sure is the A1 as there are a number of 590s that are not the A1.

Also try calling around to a few places first before driving there. If they don't have it, see if they can order it. If they are willing to do so, then the #51663 might come in handy just to verify they are getting the right thing.

savasyn
09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I told them it was a 590A1 with heavy barrel, metal trigger guard and safety. He didn't know what i was talking about so i gave him the number that is on the Mossberg website which is Part#51663. It was Turners in Orange.

Funny, I got my 590A1 at Turners. As mentioned in other threads, Turners is more of a store that sells guns than it is a gunstore. The people that work there aren't necessarily gun people.

Try a few real gunstores or ranges that sell guns and you'll probably have a much better experience!

While you are calling around(especially at ranges), you might want to ask if there are classes you can take in your area. A little training goes a long way making you comfortable shooting!

SR-60
09-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Anyways, on my drive home i notice Fowlers was on the same street. I'll check it out later.
You might as well stop by Ade's shop as well and see what he has.

CHS
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
If you're in Orange County, check out the Stockade in Westminster. They have every single model of 870 I can imagine in stock (Another great gun to consider) and do carry Mossberg. These are gun people, they will know exactly what you mean if you ask for a 590A1.

Greg-Dawg
09-23-2008, 1:05 PM
...to sign up for a first steps shotgun class. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd recommend to sign up on the class first. Most classes allow you to borrow their guns. At the same time, you'll be able to be more familiar.

After the course, THEN you'll know what to look for since you've had first hand experience. Good luck.

The Cable Guy
09-23-2008, 5:04 PM
Big 5 has plenty of 590's on sale. If your local one is out of stock, drive 20-30 mins to the next one. The one by my house has a few, but the one by my work has even more.

kkd
09-23-2008, 6:08 PM
Why don't you see if this one is still available:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120787&highlight=590A1

The seller is in your general area.

I've been looking for one of these myself. :D

Guntech
09-23-2008, 6:09 PM
Turners are *******s, if they don't want to help you than dont give them your business.

ZombieKiller
09-23-2008, 6:22 PM
Turner's won't do any special orders right now either.....590A1 is not regular stock for them. They must not be doing to well to deny special orders...

Moonclip
09-23-2008, 7:18 PM
If you're in Orange County, check out the Stockade in Westminster. They have every single model of 870 I can imagine in stock (Another great gun to consider) and do carry Mossberg. .

at nosebleed prices...

Moonclip
09-23-2008, 7:18 PM
Turner's won't do any special orders right now either.....590A1 is not regular stock for them. They must not be doing to well to deny special orders...

Figure that the other way around if they are passing up business. I'd just demand a percentage up front to order of course if I was them.