PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 70 .270

Frijolito1988
09-23-2008, 7:49 AM
Heres a few questions guys , I have the opportunity to get a Winchester Model 70 in .270 , Im pretty new to rifles in general but can hold my own but when it comes AR's but when it comes to boltaction or precision im FTL lol. I was speaking to a very knowlagable person and stated that this specific model has a light barrel and that the .270 cartridge dosent have many options for match grade ammo. So heres my question, I wikied Model 70

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70

and came out that it is a variation of the FN SPR and that law enformence gets model 70's and put heavy barrels on them and the mcmillan stock, I also read in the wiki page that all the calibers use the same actions ( Maybe i read it wrong ) so my newbeness belives ,IF i get it i will be putting some sort of heavy barrel / bull barrel , sooo if i get a .308 caliber barrel, and IF it uses the same actions for all the calibers ,what other modification would I need to do to the rifle to fire the .308, or do you guys recommend the .270 caliber to be a good caliber for 800+yards with a heavy barrel ?

Thanks for your imput

Timberwolf
09-23-2008, 8:03 AM
First of all not all actions are the same. In general terms you have the long action, ie 30-06, 270, 300 WM, etc and the short action ie 308, 7-08, 243 etc.

It is possible to put a S/A baliber barrel on a LA rifle as long as the bolt faces are the same which they would be in your example, however mod would need to be made to the mag box.

A 270 is a great hunting round with quite a few quality game bullets, but a not so good target rifle due to the lack of match bullets.

If you want to play the LR Precision game, and want to do it with a L/A rifle get either a 30-06 or a 300WM. Otherwise just get a .308.

Frijolito1988
09-23-2008, 8:11 AM
So since my .270 is Long action , you are saying if i buy a heavy 300wm barrel i just have a gunsmith replace it and im good to go...oh but i would stillneed to modify the magazine box right ?

Timberwolf
09-23-2008, 8:17 AM
So since my .270 is Long action , you are saying if i buy a heavy 300wm barrel i just have a gunsmith replace it and im good to go...oh but i would stillneed to modify the magazine box right ?

No mods would be needed to replace a 270 barrel with a 300WM though I believe it will decrease your mag box capacity by 1 round.

Quandry though - why not just get a prec rifle in 300WM - might be a sight cheaper than getting a rifle and then replacing the barrel.

IGOTDIRT4U
09-23-2008, 9:29 AM
FN just started making Win Model 70's again. However, the originals, especially the pre-63's, are VERY hard to find and are great guns.

As to 270, except for the 308, that is the only bolt action caliber I would consider for combining hunting and target shooting (yes, I am biased). I have several 308 bolt action rifles, and also in 30-06, 30-30 and of course lever guns in many more calibers. I also have a Kimber 8400 in 270, which is patterned a lot like the Win 70. As a kid, my grampy had a Win 70 in 30-30, which I learned rifle shooting with. The two calibers are night and day.

As far as converting, probably best for the bank account and sanity to just buy the caliber you really want. I don't think you will regret the 270, though. And you can get ammo for it almost anywhere.

-hanko
09-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Do NOT modify/change/do anything to a pre-'63 Model 70.

Personally, I'd buy the gun if it's at a good price and keep it as-is. If you're looking for a target rifle that shoots out to 800yd., look at a .300wm as was posted earlier or maybe a .308. Get it with the heavy barrel. Call CDNN and see if they have any FN PBR's left.

Check the current issue of Rifle magazine (Wolfe Publishing). It has a TON of info on Win Model 70's. Fantastic guns.

-hanko

dfletcher
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
IIRC, the 300 Win Mag and the 270 (which is based on the 30.06 case) have a different case head diameter, correct? At least, I know I use a #3 shell holder for the 30.06, 308, 6 mm, etc and a #4 for the & Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag. So while you may be able to use the old bolt it would at the least have to be opened up. I wouldn't fiddle around with it, it's an older gun and fine as is.

Actually the FN SPR & PBR are variations of the Win 70. If you want one, CDNN is selling actions & barreled actions pretty cheap. I just bought a complete used FN SPR in 308, McMillian stock. Seems like a neat gun. The CDNN barreled actions are about $450.00, the McMillian stock is about $500.00.

Fjold
09-23-2008, 1:11 PM
There are three basic models of Model 70s (it's Pre-64 that are collector's BTW) The pre-64s are controlled round feed and desired by collectors, the post 64 models which are pushfeeds (among other issues) are not desirable at all and then there is the M70 Classics which went back to a controlled round feed action.

To convert the 270 to a belted magnum you would have to replace the barrel and open up the bolt face and frame rails. This could cost you as much as buying a new rifle since the M70 has a coned barrel breech and an extractor cut has to be made in the barrel so it takes more machining than a Remington. When the face of the bolt is machined open, the extractor would have to be replaced, along with opening up the feedrails on the action to take the fatter cartridge.

Frijolito1988
09-23-2008, 1:14 PM
thanks for the ton of info guys this was made in i think 2000-2001 it has synthetic stock and stainless steel metal heres a pic

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/frijolito1988/winchester.jpg

I though i could turn

into this lol , but im better off buying an already heavy barrel bolt action .308 or big caliber one

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/frijolito1988/SPR.jpg

IGOTDIRT4U
09-23-2008, 3:43 PM
Yeah, one is an all-weather hunting rifle, and one is a long range target gun. Go get a Rem 700 PSS in 308 (used) or an LTR if you don't need to go much past 800 yds.