PDA

View Full Version : Scope Rings Question

Capita159
09-23-2008, 4:09 AM
1. How high is too high to mount your scope?

I just replaced my scope rings and base set up on my R700. Now the scope sits one inch away from the barrel. Looks kind of high but I'm guessing it will work.

2. What is your opinion on Badger over Leupold Mark 4s over Millett Tactical?

Thanks in advance........

09-23-2008, 6:52 AM
I love Badger rings. They are overkill on most rifles, but I know they aren't going any where. I have never used the Leupold MK4s or the Millet Tacticals, but I have good things about the Leupolds. As a general rule, I try to keep the scope as low as possible when mounting.

IGOTDIRT4U
09-23-2008, 9:57 AM
I love Badger rings. They are overkill on most rifles, but I know they aren't going any where. I have never used the Leupold MK4s or the Millet Tacticals, but I have good things about the Leupolds. As a general rule, I try to keep the scope as low as possible when mounting.

Same here. Badgers are overkill for a hunting rifle, but I love them the same. Haven't tried the new Leupold Tactical rings, but heard good things about them. As far as height, lower is always better. You want the scope as close as possible to the barrel so when you align the scope to the barrel, you have the least amount of MOA difference possible.

Beelzy
09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
One inch won't matter at all unless you shoot LONG range.

The rule of thumb though is as close as possible to the barrel, unless its
a large caliber and a thin profile barrel. You might get excessive heat mirage
in that combo.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Leupold or GG&G rings. I mount a scope so that the objective bell doesn't touch the barrel. If it's more that a quarter inch higher than the barrel (depending on the size of the Objective bell) you're going to need a higher and higher cheek piece. On M1As for example, you have to clear the rear sight -- which makes the scope very high.

Capita159
09-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the help guys/gals, time to shop for a pair of lower mount Badgers :)

rksimple
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
If you're thinking Badger, take a look at Seekins Precision. Same quality, less money, and less weight.