PDA

View Full Version : DROSing a STRIPPED OLL in 5.56 marked PISTOL?

ENTHUSIAST
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Can I DROS a stripped OLL in 5.56 marked PISTOL like any long gun then after I install a Bullet Button, complete the lower & add a single shot sled mag & an upper, can I then register it as a Handgun then change to a 10 round mag and be GTG?

I ask this because I was wondering about getting a custom "PISTOL" marked lower and would like to build an AR pistol but I am just not sure if it has to be DROSed the FIRST time as a HANDGUN for this to be done correctly? :confused:

Also is there a special BCG used for the "single shot" configuration?

THANKS for the help Guys,
-enthusiast

P.S. I hope this isnt the wrong thread for this type of question Mods Please move if so.

technique
09-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Unless its a PPT, it has to be complete. The BCG depends on what buffer tube you are using. Some people use shortened BCG, I have seen them run both ways. I use an Ace package. And my latest is going to run an Olympic buffer tube, mine use standard BCG.

aplinker
09-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Can I DROS a stripped OLL in 5.56 marked PISTOL like any long gun then after I install a Bullet Button, complete the lower & add a single shot sled mag & an upper, can I then register it as a Handgun then change to a 10 round mag and be GTG?

I ask this because I can get a custom "PISTOL" marked lower and would like to build an AR pistol but I am just not sure if it has to be DROSed the FIRST time as a HANDGUN for this to be done correctly? :confused:

Also is there a special BCG used for the "single shot" configuration?

THANKS for the help Guys,
-enthusiast

P.S. I hope this isnt the wrong thread for this type of question Mods Please move if so.

No, please search for Oaklander's thread on how to build a compliant pistol. You can not dros a pistol lower - it must be a complete single-shot pistol.

Building a lower that was DROS'ed as a rifle into a pistol would mean you're breaking state and Federal law for building an SBR.

ENTHUSIAST
09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
No, please search for Oaklander's thread on how to build a compliant pistol. You can not dros a pistol lower - it must be a complete single-shot pistol.

Building a lower that was DROS'ed as a rifle into a pistol would mean you're breaking state and Federal law for building an SBR.

THANKS uclaplinker, I forgot the name of the thread I read it a while back.

bigbob76
09-23-2008, 5:44 AM
So if there is an AR pistol that's already here in CA it can be PPT'ed? Would that include one with a 10 round mag and bullet button?

bigbob76
09-23-2008, 5:47 AM
I first posted a 'quick reply' then realized I wouldn't get notification of replies....

bwiese
09-23-2008, 9:40 AM
So if there is an AR pistol that's already here in CA it can be PPT'ed? Would that include one with a 10 round mag and bullet button?

Yes, if it's here in CA owned by CA resident it can be PPT'd to another Californian - of course,as long as it's not in an AW configuration (i.e., set up to be CA legal). If the pistol or true legit pistol receiver is in CA, the PPT can be of the receiver or non-AW pistol, and there are no single-shot configuration issues that need to be dealt with.

If it's being IMPORTED into CA by sale/xfer thru a CA FFL (and is obviously thus not a PPT) it needs to be imported as a WHOLE OPERATIONAL ROSTER-EXEMPT PISTOL. It needs to be made Roster-exempt thru single-shot conversion. The AR pistol should not only enter CA as Roster-exempt it should be maintained in that configuration continually until after DROS, 10day wait and pick up by purchaser. Once that occurs, the new owner can then render the pistol into any other legal configuration he chooses.

DRM6000
09-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Can LEOs import a stripped pistol-marked OLL?

dfletcher
09-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Can LEOs import a stripped pistol-marked OLL?

Yes, just as they can import a stripped 1911 frame. I was at the gun store last week and an LE came in to DROS a hi cap frame only - Caspian I believe.