PDA

View Full Version : M1A Socom questions

oldschool88
09-22-2008, 7:43 PM
Hey i was looking for advice in regards to the Socom 16. Ive had my eye on one for a while but before i drop that kind of cash on a rifle i wanted to make sure i know all the facts. First, does anyone that has one have any major problems with it. Ive seen some things in forums online, but it seems like more hear-say than fact. Also what kind of range are they realisticly capable of, i usually shoot at only 100 yds but i would like to be able to go out to 400 or so. And if anyone has recomendations on anything different or better im listening. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 8:14 PM
It's LOUD - Only shot out to 200. If I had to do over, I'd find a Scout.

09-22-2008, 8:33 PM
Get it if you want. I don't think you will have any problems getting out to 400 yrds with it. Biggest compliant I have heard about them is the muzzle brake.

fusionstar
09-22-2008, 8:43 PM
Shot my friends' friend's socom during a camping trip and it balanced nicely, like saigon said, it is loud. The muzzle brake is probably the reason. It had problems feeding Pointed soft point rounds but I hit what i was aiming for at 50 feet and 300 yards and reliably wasn't really addressed since he could only afford one box of 308 after he dropped the better part of a used truck on it rifle,mounts,optics. If you got the money, go ahead.

dexter9659
09-22-2008, 8:44 PM
Get a scout. :)

oldschool88
09-22-2008, 9:22 PM
How much range is a scout going to have over the Socom.

09-22-2008, 9:36 PM
I don't think you will that more range, but most people say scout because of the brake on the socom.

kalieracer
09-22-2008, 9:59 PM
Hey i was looking for advice in regards to the Socom 16. Ive had my eye on one for a while but before i drop that kind of cash on a rifle i wanted to make sure i know all the facts. First, does anyone that has one have any major problems with it. Ive seen some things in forums online, but it seems like more hear-say than fact. Also what kind of range are they realisticly capable of, i usually shoot at only 100 yds but i would like to be able to go out to 400 or so. And if anyone has recomendations on anything different or better im listening. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I had one, got rid of it. I did not have a good experience with the rifle, nothing but trouble. Get a Scout.

Cali80
09-22-2008, 10:14 PM
socom = 16 inches
scout= 18 inches
I would estimate the velocity increase to be maybe 50 to 100 fps faster on the scout.
Either gun is capable, but the socom sight profile is shorter, the sights aren't for precision and you will probably need an optic or scope. Also the trigger isn't match, making your 400 yard shot more difficult.

aplinker
09-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with my SOCOM to 400, 5 and 600 are pushing it... with irons.

With optics it's OK.

I'd rather run a Scout - no proprietary gas system. Skip the SOCOM II and/or rail system - though if you must, get the extended so you can mount a scope without a dedicated mount.

randy
09-23-2008, 12:42 AM
I would also go the Scout route. For one the Socomm is called a Socomm that's reason enough for me not to buy one.

The front site on the Socomm is way too big for any distance shooting. The extra 2 inches of the Scout won't hurt you when you are doing your tacticool room clearing.

The spaced armor on the Socomm II is just gay. Take a rifle designed for CQB and then add 10 pounds of crap to it. Just wouldn't work for me.

The muzzle break on the Scout needs to be changed other than that it's a great rifle.

DrunkSkunk
09-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I have a scout and most of my non shooter friends shoot more accurately with it that an AR15

Sumo99
09-23-2008, 7:01 AM
I shoot my buddies everytime we go to the range. In all the times I've been to the range with him, he has never had any issues. The SOCOM has no problem reaching out to 400 yards. I'm just not really fond of the sights. The ghost ring rear and the wide front sight make it difficult, for me, to make an accurate shot beyond 200 yards.

If you don't like the stock muzzle break, Smith Enterprises makes a new one for the SOCOM. Problem is that it's a 3 part kit and includes a new gas lock (which I believe you have to buy a new front sight for), a muzzle break and a flash suppressor (which you can't use in CA).

I have a scout/squad and prefer it over the SOCOM. I'm much more accurate with it and have no problem hitting a target at 400 yards. I changed out the muzzle break and now it's only about an inch longer than a SOCOM. Also, don't rule out a standard or loaded M1A.

Good luck with your decision.

Toolbox X
09-23-2008, 8:22 AM
I have a SOCOM 16 and I love it. I have never had any problems.

I've used it in CQB drills and it works great and is a lot of fun. The Scout is 3" longer (2" barrel and 1" longer brake) and does not work as well when going room to room.

I love all of the M1A rifles (except the stupid looking SOCOM II). The Scout is fantastic, as is the Full Size.

hamsalad
09-23-2008, 8:34 AM

I've used it in CQB drills and it works great and is a lot of fun. The Scout is 3" longer (2" barrel and 1" longer brake) and does not work as well when going room to room.

I love all of the M1A rifles (except the stupid looking SOCOM II). The Scout is fantastic, as is the Full Size.

Ditto on all of the above. Love it for CQB.

JOEKILLA
09-23-2008, 8:43 AM

Please guys, stop giving Socom 16s good reviews, I don't want to spend any more money. Reading comments like this is not helping my budget.

:D :D :D

Suvorov
09-23-2008, 9:18 AM
Please guys, stop giving Socom 16s good reviews, I don't want to spend any more money. Reading comments like this is not helping my budget.

:D :D :D

I have a Socom 16, its been a good rifle and the only problems I might have had with it (can't remember if it was the Socom or my National Match) were due to a bad magazine.

Accuracy was actually quite disappointing with Federal Eagle 150g (4+ MOA) but it shoots 173g M118 ball quite nicely (under 2 MOA).

The tritium front post is nice, not used much since I have an Aimpoint mounted, but I agree that the iron sights are not well suited to long range shooting.

It is loud, but it seems anything with a muzzle break these days will produce a big bark.

Everything said however, if I had it over to do again, I most certainly would buy a Scout instead. Unless you just CAN NOT afford/spare the 3 extra inches the Scout is a much better rifle: better accuracy, better (chrome lined) barrel, better sights (you can always add a tritium front sight post if needed), nearly 100% parts compatibility with full sized M1A/M14, and I think better aesthetics (although YMMV).

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/wyorca/Firearms/Socom16_PC.jpg

Come to Chabot this Sunday, if you bring food for it, I'll let you feed it ;)

brando
09-23-2008, 9:39 AM
There was a big, nasty thread about this rifle recently.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-23-2008, 9:45 AM
I enjoy my SOCOM 16, and it's never given me any trouble at all. I feed it 150 gr. FMJ handloads, and it eats them without a problem. I added an A.R.M.S. scope mount over the receiver to get the optic off the mount on the barrel, because I found that it lost its zero as the barrel got hot and transferred the heat to the optic mount, tending to move the POI high and right for me. I've got an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on mine, in a LaRue M68 QD mount, so I can transition quickly to the irons if need be. I like the irons, too, since they're essentially the same as those on my M1 Garands, and they seem accurate enough to me. The sight radius being so short can be an issue with the irons, however. I would not choose this rifle to regularly shoot out to 400 yds. It's a CQB weapon. I'm sure it will shoot sufficient "minute-of-bad-guy" to tag someone that far away, but if you want X-ring satisfaction at 400 yards, the SOCOM 16 is the wrong tool for that job. It's a little on the heavy side if you're used to an AR's weight, but it's nicely balanced, and as noted above, loud as hell. It also belches fire out that muzzle brake, which would probably cause you a bit of flash blindness if you are shooting in a darkened environment. It does give you the feeling that whatever you plug with it is NOT getting up again, and that is my main reason for owning one - - that and it's just fun to blast away with it. :D

If you are serious about wanting to shoot out to 400 yards regularly and are looking for MOA performance at that distance, go for a longer barrelled rifle like a Scout or a full sized M1A/M14. If you want a blaster that you will occasionally try at 400 yards, you won't be disappointed with a SOCOM 16.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2008, 9:46 AM
I enjoy my SOCOM 16, and it's never given me any trouble at all. I feed it 150 gr. FMJ handloads, and it eats them without a problem. I added an A.R.M.S. scope mount over the receiver to get the optic off the mount on the barrel, because I found that it lost its zero as the barrel got hot and transferred the heat to the optic mount, tending to move the POI high and right for me. I've got an Aimpoint Comp ML3 on mine, in a LaRue M68 QD mount, so I can transition quickly to the irons if need be. I like the irons, too, since they're essentially the same as those on my M1 Garands, and they seem accurate enough to me. The sight radius being so short can be an issue with the irons, however. I would not choose this rifle to regularly shoot out to 400 yds. It's a CQB weapon. I'm sure it will shoot sufficient "minute-of-bad-guy" to tag someone that far away, but if you want X-ring satisfaction at 400 yards, the SOCOM 16 is the wrong tool for that job. It's a little on the heavy side if you're used to an AR's weight, but it's nicely balanced, and as noted above, loud as hell. It also belches fire out that muzzle brake, which would probably cause you a bit of flash blindness if you are shooting in a darkened environment. It does give you the feeling that whatever you plug with it is NOT getting up again, and that is my main reason for owning one - - that and it's just fun to blast away with it. :D

If you are serious about wanting to shoot out to 400 yards regularly and are looking for MOA performance at that distance, go for a longer barrelled rifle like a Scout or a full sized M1A/M14. If you want a blaster that you will occasionally try at 400 yards, you won't be disappointed with a SOCOM 16.

+ 1.

Suvorov
09-23-2008, 9:48 AM
Forgot to add, it makes a nice (but a little on the heavy side) pig gun! ;)

Toolbox X
09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/M1A/SOCOMWood2.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/M1A/SOCOMWood1.jpg

CrazyJeep
09-23-2008, 4:31 PM
Man I just loooooove the looks of a Socom in wood. Thanks again for those pics.

Jpach
09-23-2008, 4:47 PM
I think you just like wood CrazyJeep :cheers2: Really though, it does look great with wood

CrazyJeep
09-23-2008, 4:49 PM
I think you just like wood CrazyJeep :cheers2:

I do, what can I say. BTW, where's my g/f....:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/crazyjeeper/LRB%20M14/LRBandStocks.jpg

eric1972
09-23-2008, 7:18 PM
I love my Socom 16. It is more accurate than I expected, esp. shooting American Eagle 150 grs. The last time I went to the range, a guy was shooting a fixed-mag FAL, and we traded rifles for a bit, and I have to say, I love the Socom 16 way over the FAL. Just my preference, though. Never had any problems with it either.

aplinker
09-23-2008, 7:23 PM
There was a big, nasty thread about this rifle recently.

different situation

ricknadine1111
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/camorifle003.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/camorifle002.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/camorifle001.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/latestupdateonriflewithoutmount012.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/latestupdateonriflewithoutmount006.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/latestupdateonriflewithoutmount0-1.jpg

X-NewYawker
09-24-2008, 5:36 AM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/SOCOMw-scope.jpg

prob
09-24-2008, 4:59 PM
I'd agree the fellow who said to stay away from the Socom II. The rail just gets in the way and adds a lot of excess weight to the rifle. I know that of which I speak because I just removed the rail system from mine. What a difference. It is now a joy to carry and shoot.

As far as the sights go, I was not at all happy with the very thick front post and the large ghost ring rear sight. I ordered a new front sight from Springfield (the second highest they have - I believe the socom tritium sights are the tallest) and installed it in conjunction with a new standard sized aperture sight. Again, what a difference. My hundred yard groups shrank notably after the conversion. I suppose that big bulky tritium sight would be good for clearing houses on a dark night, but realistically, who the heck is ever going to do that? Another problem with the big tritium sight is that you can mistakenly line up those straight "ears" with the rear peep and end up throwing a shot way the heck to the right or left. The standard front sight will not allow that to happen as the ears are at a significant angle.