PDA

View Full Version : GSG-5 is NOT a toy

DrjonesUSA
09-22-2008, 7:37 PM
I just wanted to post real quick because I've read so many comments from various people that the GSG-5 "feels/looks/whatever like a toy."

I started the paperwork on one this weekend, and lovingly fondled mine for a good 15 minutes - the verdict:

Anyone who describes the GSG-5 as "toy-like" in any way shape or form, is either high or not looking at the same firearm.

Period.

It has a very nice heft to it, it has an overall high quality feel to it, and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to pick it up & shoot it on October 1!!!!! :D:D:D

I realize that it is not for everybody, and that's great -- but anything resembling a toy, it is most certainly NOT.

Granted, the factory stock is a real piece of junk and will need to be filled with foam and ball bearings to give it some weight and so that it does not feel/sound hollow, but the rest of the gun is top-notch.

I may even get a real HK stock & forearm for my GSG - we'll see.....I'd like a side folder or collapsible, but the cheek weld on those types of stocks tends to be very uncomfortable.

That's the other thing - the forearm is not super impressive either, but nowhere near as crappy feeling as the stock. It Is a certainly serviceable.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you guys that.

Just a hint too - AR15.com has entire forum dedicated to this new little rifle!!!

jandmtv
09-22-2008, 7:41 PM
I handled one the other day, and it felt pretty solid to me. But the 10 round mag kills it for me.

slick_711
09-22-2008, 7:43 PM
I don't think it's a toy either...

However I find it entertaining that you say it isn't a toy, and then you proceed to:

A) Admit you haven't shot it.
B) Say the stock is junky.
C) Say the forearm is junky.

I look forward to further review once you've picked it up and put it through it's paces.

wilit
09-22-2008, 8:05 PM
Shot one at the last shoot-n-que. Not toy like at all. Quite solid much to my surprise. Worth the $500 and $30 per mag? Hmmm... Not sure, but it's certainly be a great buy at $350-$400.

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 8:09 PM
Picked mine up today - Ain't no toy that's for sure.

I got it used with the collaps on her already - The forearm have been replaced with the classic army rail. Going to shoot her first and see what I'll change out.

It's funny looking at it side by side with my 94.

BroncoBob
09-22-2008, 8:22 PM

I got it used with the collaps on her already - The forearm have been replaced with the classic army rail. Going to shoot her first and see what I'll change out.

Siagon1965; If you don't mind me asking where did you get your classic army rail from? I'm in the ten day zone for mine so I would like to start planning on my personalization.

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 8:25 PM
I purchased it like that - Am sure you can find plenty of sellers with it. Check Ebay.

Shane916 had a link here for mags and the collapsible stock.

Siagon1965; If you don't mind me asking where did you get your classic army rail from? I'm in the ten day zone for mine so I would like to start planning on my personalization.

BroncoBob
09-22-2008, 9:04 PM
I purchased it like that - Am sure you can find plenty of sellers with it. Check Ebay.

Shane916 had a link here for mags and the collapsible stock.

Siagon1965: Thanks for the lead.

69Mach1
09-22-2008, 9:09 PM

Hmmm. I still don't see a picture.......:D
Congrats on the new to........I mean evil black rifle.
On yours too DrjonesUSA

sorensen440
09-22-2008, 9:10 PM
someone at soldiers415's bbq yesterday had one and it didnt feel like a toy to me

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 9:11 PM
I forgot who whipped that out -

someone at sodiers bbq yesterday had one and it didnt feel like a toy to me

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 9:12 PM
I was just telling the guys in the TaN that I don't even have a photo account set-up. Thanks man, trying to catch up and don't think I'll ever will bro.

Hmmm. I still don't see a picture.......:D
Congrats on the new to........I mean evil black rifle.
On yours too DrjonesUSA

Gator Monroe
09-22-2008, 9:22 PM
I have no doubt that if I bopped an adult male over the head with my WASR 22 and decieded to shoot him with it after, that it would be fully intact and ready to function properly (Bet you cant say that about the little German GSG5 ) :)

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 9:24 PM
What took you so long Gator? LOL

DrunkSkunk
09-22-2008, 9:30 PM
Of course it's not a toy, it shoots 22lr.

But it's still a piece of ****.

N/T

Gator Monroe
09-22-2008, 9:33 PM
What took you so long Gator? LOL

I was watching Dancing wit da Stahs

09-22-2008, 9:38 PM
Of course it's not a toy, it shoots 22lr.

But it's still a piece of ****.

N/T

I wasn't really impressed with it either. I will stick to my little Ruger 10/22s for half the price.

thmpr
09-22-2008, 9:43 PM
Did they fix all the flaws?

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 9:44 PM
Who got bounced?

I was watching Dancing wit da Stahs

Gator Monroe
09-22-2008, 9:48 PM
No one yet (But Warren Sapp looked Great ,as did the Vollyball chick and the Super model ):)

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 9:52 PM
Ofcourse we all have one of those too - GSG is for craps and giggles.

I wasn't really impressed with it either. I will stick to my little Ruger 10/22s for half the price.

DrunkSkunk
09-22-2008, 9:53 PM

It could just be for craps and giggles, because I just giggle at how much of a piece of crap it is.

Gator Monroe
09-22-2008, 9:55 PM
My WASR 22 COULD BE Built as a Kit into larger caliber (GSG 5 is always gonna be a plinker)

09-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Nothing wrong with buying firearms for craps and giggles!

Gator Monroe
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
mY 1911A1 = yOU cRAP & i GIGGLE !:)

DrjonesUSA
09-23-2008, 1:06 PM
I don't think it's a toy either...

However I find it entertaining that you say it isn't a toy, and then you proceed to:

A) Admit you haven't shot it.
B) Say the stock is junky.
C) Say the forearm is junky.

I look forward to further review once you've picked it up and put it through it's paces.

Shooting has nothing to do with it - all the remarks were that it FELT like a toy -- this is absolutely not the case.

As far as the stock, that has no bearing on it either -- the PTR comes with a pretty crappy stock too, but according to people who own both PTR's and real HK's, the PTR is actually of higher quality than a "real" HK.

The actual gun part of the gun feels great, solid and hefty - the stock & forearm can be easily replaced.

Greg-Dawg
09-23-2008, 1:25 PM
...the verdict:

Anyone who describes the GSG-5 as "toy-like" in any way shape or form, is either high or not looking at the same firearm.

Period.

Then you should give a mean look to everyone calling thier new purchased guns as "Toys". It's a form of expression, just like when I got my first AT-AT when Empire Strikes Back came out!

Mac Attack
09-23-2008, 1:44 PM
My GSG-5 was one of the first 100 made available to the public. I have owned it since January and after putting over 10k rounds with just 3 malfunctions I stopped keeping count of how many rounds I have fired through it.

Many people who critisize the 5 are simply repeating what they read on vaious websites. The fact is there was a deliberate attack by a distributer to give the 5 a bad rep. This attack included many statements which were proven unfounded as well as several photos of broken parts as evidence. It was later proven that the pictures though legitimate were take from very early models released only to the European market. The design issues depicted in the photo's had been fixed on all the rifles released to the US market. This info was found on AR15.com or THR.com if you wanted more details.

My rifle has performed great but admittedly it is not as robust as my AR with .22 upper but it really wasn't designed to be. The price I agree was on the high side especially with the dealer markups but price is relative to how much a person is willing to spend. I.e. Some people like timex watches and could not imagine sending more than $100 on a watch whereas, I take pride in owning a nice watch and dropped a wad on a Rolex Submariner. Different strokes for different folks.

The GSG-5 is a fun rifle which can accept all sorts of Airsoft products at affordable prices when compared to oem HK products. I enjoy mine and I hope the original poster enjoys his just as much.

Mac

DedEye
09-23-2008, 2:26 PM
I have no doubt that if I bopped an adult male over the head with my WASR 22 and decieded to shoot him with it after, that it would be fully intact and ready to function properly (Bet you cant say that about the little German GSG5 ) :)

You have much more confidence in your WASR22 than I had in mine.

It was Mr. Ed's .22 at the BBQ on Sunday and it was a lot of fun to shoot. It didn't feel like a toy or a piece of crap and I still want one for myself.

HeHateMe
09-23-2008, 4:45 PM
I have a Tokyo Marui MP5 and my GSG5 feels almost the same. Just calling it as I see it.

M. Sage
09-23-2008, 5:09 PM
Mr. Ed's GSG5 sure felt a lot more substantial than my Marlin 60. I didn't take it in and shoot it, but it seemed to be a pretty solid little rifle, if the weight was an indicator.

DrjonesUSA
09-23-2008, 6:39 PM
Then you should give a mean look to everyone calling thier new purchased guns as "Toys". It's a form of expression, just like when I got my first AT-AT when Empire Strikes Back came out!

No - people are saying that the GSG feels cheap and not like a "real" gun.

I say that they are absolutely wrong.

wikidklown
09-23-2008, 8:08 PM
I got one and been shooting it more than my 10/22's
Bought it because of it's looks now I'm hooked with it's function.

I'm sure you will enjoy it as the rest of other owners here.

69Mach1
09-23-2008, 8:32 PM
Wow! Check out what some people have done by modifying an actual HK SEF lower to fit onto the GSG-5. It makes it an almost perfect clone.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/butlerelectserv/gsg5-2.jpg?t=1208142153
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/butlerelectserv/gsg5-1.jpg?t=1208142031

I love my GSG-5. Can't wait for their G36 clone.

DedEye
09-23-2008, 8:39 PM
Wow! Check out what some people have done by modifying an actual HK SEF lower to fit onto the GSG-5. It makes it an almost perfect clone.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/butlerelectserv/gsg5-2.jpg?t=1208142153
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/butlerelectserv/gsg5-1.jpg?t=1208142031

I love my GSG-5. Can't wait for their G36 clone.

Very nice; how much would that setup cost on top of the stock GSG5 (and minus the cost of the Surefire light and EOtech)?

In other words, I guess, how much is the rail :p?

Gator Monroe
09-23-2008, 8:50 PM
You have much more confidence in your WASR22 than I had in mine.

It was Mr. Ed's .22 at the BBQ on Sunday and it was a lot of fun to shoot. It didn't feel like a toy or a piece of crap and I still want one for myself.

Over 10.000 rounds through my WASR 22 and working through all it's issues and making repairs myself has given me that confidence (Now it's time to move onto the Rimfire RETRO AR build) I was hyped about the GSG 5 like everyone else (Until I saw the GSG AK)

DedEye
09-23-2008, 8:52 PM
Over 10.000 rounds through my WASR 22 and working through all it's issues and making repairs myself has given me that confidence (Now it's time to move onto the Rimfire RETRO AR build) I was hyped about the GSG 5 like everyone else (Until I saw the GSG AK)

Just how many repairs did you have to do to it though?

69Mach1
09-23-2008, 8:56 PM
Very nice; how much would that setup cost on top of the stock GSG5 (and minus the cost of the Surefire light and EOtech)?

In other words, I guess, how much is the rail :p?

Sorry DedEye, not mine. I stole the pic from the GSG-5 forum at ARF.com.

Guntech
09-23-2008, 9:00 PM
My friend has one and I picked it up and pointed it at him and pulled the trigger because I thought it was a toy.

LOL. Just kidding. :)

Bowser
09-23-2008, 9:01 PM
This (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=101091&highlight=gsg-5+gemtech) would be cool, although I would rather want a suppressor for my 10/22.

Gator Monroe
09-23-2008, 9:06 PM
Just how many repairs did you have to do to it though?
(Canted GB) (Various Furniture Changes/issues) (Ribbed Top Cover & sling swaps)(front sight elevation & windage dialing in) (Best Rubber plug for vacant gas system)(Making my own mags & high caps) ( Dialing in the Ejector strength ecentric setscrew on bottom of bolt) (learning the AK platform) ...

DedEye
09-23-2008, 9:22 PM
(Canted GB) (Various Furniture Changes/issues) (Ribbed Top Cover & sling swaps)(front sight elevation & windage dialing in) (Best Rubber plug for vacant gas system)(Making my own mags & high caps) (learning the AK platform) ...

QFF.

Heiko
09-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't understand why there is so much hating on the GSG-5. I find it funny that the criticism is that is feels like a toy or that it's expensive. I see so many tricked out AR's here that will never see anything more menacing than a paper target and nobody craps on that. It's like the anti-polymer haters who don't think a "plastic" guns are real guns. Our love of guns and collecting leads us to buy some irrationally expensive guns and some that are a little odd. That's the beauty of collecting.

Anyway, the GSG-5 is expensive for a .22LR but I like having one over a 10-22 for it's uniqueness. (Why can't I have both???) I have the Classic Army telescoping stock on it and would like to do some more mods later. I haven't put that many rounds through mine but it is a hoot. I shot it back to back with a full auto MP5 9mm and while you can nitpick the differences, they felt similar - similar enough for the range master to forget he had swapped the MP5 for it until he pulled the trigger. It's not an MP5, it's a clone and a darn good one.

JPB
09-24-2008, 6:31 AM
It's funny, this thread is supposed to be a confirmation that the GSG-5 is not a toy, but the thread immediately digresses into what "Classic Army" stuff to buy for it......

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 8:11 AM
It's funny, this thread is supposed to be a confirmation that the GSG-5 is not a toy, but the thread immediately digresses into what "Classic Army" stuff to buy for it......

Ditto! the WASR 22 takes all AK/AKM furniture & acessories and retains it's ruggedness & durability (And Mystique):eek:

bmaksdad
09-24-2008, 9:07 AM
It's also funny how the WASR-22 gets brought up by the same guy in every GSG-5 thread .

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 1:12 PM
It's also funny how the WASR-22 gets brought up by the same guy in every GSG-5 thread .

In every firearms forum/board across teh interwebz ...:chris:

1919_4_ME
09-24-2008, 2:41 PM
Not to take this off-topic but Ghillibear is working on a .22 conversion for the HK clones rifles.Once these are out guys can use there registered "sear" for F/A fun. It will use standard GSG-5 mags.:D

Link to thread with video:
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89452

cwa14509
09-24-2008, 3:04 PM
(Canted GB) (Various Furniture Changes/issues) (Ribbed Top Cover & sling swaps)(front sight elevation & windage dialing in) (Best Rubber plug for vacant gas system)(Making my own mags that hold no more than ten rounds) ( Dialing in the Ejector strength ecentric setscrew on bottom of bolt) (learning the AK platform) ...

Fixed it for ya

DrjonesUSA
09-24-2008, 3:20 PM
Anyway, the GSG-5 is expensive for a .22LR

Kinda, sorta - there are LOTS of *very* highly tricked out 10/22s - granted the base 10/22 is cheap, but I doubt anybody leaves the thing as it came from the factory.

I wouldn't even want a 10/22 that isn't tricked out with a heavy target barrel, scope, etc. - all of which would add hundreds of dollars to the cost.

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 4:14 PM
Fixed it for ya

While your fixing things for me pick up my new Blackdog mag in Reno at my daughters for me and save me the trip ...:chris:

cwa14509
09-24-2008, 4:26 PM
While your fixing things for me pick up my new Blackdog mag in Reno at my daughters for me and save me the trip ...:chris:

I guess that means you fall under one of the exemptions for constructing new high caps?

My bad, just didn't want someone accidently outing (Admitting to constructing high capacity mags)(Ha ha:D, referring to the original post) themselves on a public forum. :)

X-NewYawker
09-24-2008, 4:28 PM
They've got the guns and mags at Rettings now. Guns $495

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 4:29 PM
I never said I was Gey ...:confused: (BDM makes 10 rounders )

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 4:32 PM
They've got the guns and mags at Rettings now. Guns $495

+tax & Dros =

Gator Monroe
09-24-2008, 4:36 PM
I guess that means you fall under one of the exemptions for constructing new high caps?

My bad, just didn't want someone accidently outing (Admitting to constructing high capacity mags) themselves on a public forum. :)

Did i say they worked or were still whole or functional ???????? :sleeping:

cwa14509
09-24-2008, 4:42 PM
(Canted GB) (Various Furniture Changes/issues) (Ribbed Top Cover & sling swaps)(front sight elevation & windage dialing in) (Best Rubber plug for vacant gas system)(Making my own mags & high caps) ( Dialing in the Ejector strength ecentric setscrew on bottom of bolt) (learning the AK platform) ...

That's just the way I interpreted it, I guess I was wrong.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

a1fabweld
09-25-2008, 8:42 PM
I signed up for my GSG today after being on a waiting list a while. HK's are *****in' & an HK style gun that I can shoot all day for $25 is even better! While the 10/22 is obviously a classic workhorse of .22's, The GSG will definately add some spice to the mix. For anyone looking for another .22 alternative, take a look at the Feather Industries Rav-22. It's more of a survival rifle with it's takedown feature, super light (3 lbs), but not the most accurate gun. They do have bull barrels for them though which should help. They start at $300ish. Mine is a blast!

DedEye
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
That's just the way I interpreted it, I guess I was wrong.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

There's a reason I quoted that same post with the response "QFF."

QFF = Quoted For FAIL.

Gator Monroe
09-26-2008, 6:27 AM
I signed up for my GSG today after being on a waiting list a while. HK's are *****in' & an HK style gun that I can shoot all day for $25 is even better! While the 10/22 is obviously a classic workhorse of .22's, The GSG will definately add some spice to the mix. For anyone looking for another .22 alternative, take a look at the Feather Industries Rav-22. It's more of a survival rifle with it's takedown feature, super light (3 lbs), but not the most accurate gun. They do have bull barrels for them though which should help. They start at $300ish. Mine is a blast!

WASR 22 $300.00 @ DD's Ranch LLC (New York ) is spice with wood furniture and less expensive & more plentiful acessories ?

Gator Monroe
09-26-2008, 6:29 AM
My steel Eastern European " Ribbed" 30 Round banana mag (10/30) that I created works fine , the other experiments were de comissioned (No fail in my Garage):chris: :

mike452
09-26-2008, 1:50 PM
You must have cheap toys from Walmart or ToyrUS.

It feels the same as a Classic Army MP5 toy.

gunrun45
09-26-2008, 7:08 PM
These things are adictive. Bought mine about 3 weeks ago. Ordered accessory parts for it and had them home before I even picked up the gun. Wicked neat!
I put the comand arms sliding stock, RAS forearm, clonepoint, extra mags, removed the mag disconnect device, replaced all the torx screws with new ones, locktited... This thing is just to dam much fun! Even more fun than my H&K94 because I can afford to shoot it!!!