PDA

View Full Version : BCM handguard endcap

mievil
09-22-2008, 7:29 PM
This is probably a ridiculous question, but I'm asking it anyway.

The pic on BCM's website seems to show a triangular endcap. Do the BCM uppers have triangular endcaps, or round? If they are triangular, you can't use a standard forearm designed for a round endcap, right?

Trying to find a handguard for the BCM mid since BCM is sold out. Thanks for any help. I tried searching but it seems like most of the stuf seems to point towards round endcap, even though the pic on BCM's website looks triangular.

NiteQwill
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Do you mean the at the FSB? If so, all AR standard FSB are standard and all standard handguards should fit. Yes, they are all triangular.

Blue
09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
IIRC only triangular ones will work on rifle length, and the round ones are for carbine length.

mievil
09-23-2008, 9:25 AM
Do you mean the at the FSB? If so, all AR standard FSB are standard and all standard handguards should fit. Yes, they are all triangular.

This is for their mid. Basically I'm asking because I'm trying to purchase the handguards, and found an inexpensive set that the seller lists as "for round endcaps only". They are mid length handguards, and I know now that the BCM endcap on the mids is triangular. Which would lead me to believe I couldn't use these without hacking them up somehow.

ar15barrels
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Handguard caps are really easy to change out*.
Just knock out the taper pins, slide the FSB off and change out the cap.

*with proper tools and skills.

mievil
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I lack proper tools for anything (referenced by my bolt catch roll pin haha). I thought about just changing the whole thing out, but that would put me at the stage where I might as well just spend more money and get a completely new forearm on it. Anything to rationalize spending more money. ;)

gungrave
09-24-2008, 2:30 PM
so with this triangular endcap will i have a problem installing an dd omega 9.0 rail on my BCM upper???

Cliff C
09-24-2008, 7:42 PM
Try Rock River Arms:

Mid-Length Handguards (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=306)

This is for their mid.... and I know now that the BCM endcap on the mids is triangular.

mievil
09-24-2008, 9:20 PM
Seems like for standard handguards, RRA, and Cavalry Arms are the two brands that are good to go, notedly sold by BCM when they are in stock.

Found a good deal on the Cavalry Arms that just may need a little Kawasaki Green rattle can job.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Donut
09-24-2008, 9:29 PM
Found a good deal on the Cavalry Arms that just may need a little Kawasaki Green rattle can job.

The $5 ones?

mievil
09-24-2008, 9:52 PM
Yep......wait......Why do I know that name? :D Wanna go in on some paint?

Donut
09-24-2008, 9:59 PM
Yep......wait......Why do I know that name? :D Wanna go in on some paint?

You know the name because you hear Paul call me by it every Fourth. :p

You know, I'm really starting to dig the whole Coyote/Flat Dark Earth theme... I'm thinking about getting an tan Vertical grip, pistol grip and Magpul MOE stock.

Black paint would be cheaper, though. LOL

mievil
09-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I was diggin the coyote, too. But the Cavalry color seems confusing. Almost like it won't match with DE or coyote on any other brand. Thus my want for a Kawi Green handguard.

Donut
09-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I read that the Cavalry "Coyote" is like everyone else's "Flat Dark Earth"

If that's true, An FDE MOE stock, FDE MOE grip, FDE Vert grip, and short rail would only be about $100. Ugh, like I need to spend anymore money right now.

I think I need to go scour the picture thread tomorrow night; I need to sack out.

aplinker
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
so with this triangular endcap will i have a problem installing an dd omega 9.0 rail on my BCM upper???

I would encourage you to spend the extra few dollars and use a true free-float, given your proximity to Randall. DD Lite or M4... Larue...

You'll save a few ounces of weight, too.

gungrave
09-25-2008, 9:08 AM
I would encourage you to spend the extra few dollars and use a true free-float, given your proximity to Randall. DD Lite or M4... Larue...

You'll save a few ounces of weight, too.

yeh i was thinking about getting the DD lite 9.0...but right now im low in cash lol...i guess i could wait a little longer and save enough cash to finish my ar15.right now i finished my building my lower and i also got the BCM mid length...all i need to get is BCG, charging handle, troy rear BUIS or (if you guys have any other suggestion on a good rear BUIS?), and a DD lite or Larue rail..this is going to be a long way for me to finish this project... :(

mievil
09-25-2008, 9:52 AM
I edited my earlier post regarding this, because I thought I had misread something, but I don't think I did. The Omega 9.0 IS a freefloat drop in. Therefore it really shouldn't matter what the front endcap is, right? Looking at the pics the cap is there, but probably just used as a dust cover of sorts for nuns and puppy dogs.

Though if you want the Lite, it's only around $20 more, so shouldn't be that hard to save up for.

That's why I'm sticking with the standards for now. $10 shipped is a lot easier to take than $300.

gungrave
09-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I edited my earlier post regarding this, because I thought I had misread something, but I don't think I did. The Omega 9.0 IS a freefloat drop in. Therefore it really shouldn't matter what the front endcap is, right? Looking at the pics the cap is there, but probably just used as a dust cover of sorts for nuns and puppy dogs.

Though if you want the Lite, it's only around $20 more, so shouldn't be that hard to save up for.

That's why I'm sticking with the standards for now. $10 shipped is a lot easier to take than $300.

yeh u got a point there ...if i get the regular handguard that will help save some money to get the other parts i needed to finish the upper that i have and maybe if i get my tax return ill have extra money ill get the DD lite rail....:D where are u going to order your the standard handguard at? $10 dollars is cheap....

thanks man...

mievil
09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Not fully sure of the rules of this forum and links to non-sponsoring dealers, so if a mod sees this and finds it inappropriate, fell free to delete.

DSG Arms has the Cavalry Arms M4 style (oval) mid handguards in coyote color for $5 plus shipping, which was $4.85 for me. I figure I could care less about color at this point and it was ~$15 less than most other places, so it would be a decent temporary fix. Then you could spend the rest of that cash you have for the rail on the rest of the components so you can at least shoot what you've got, and save up for a rail later. If you get the rail now, but don't have the other parts, it may look nice, but it will just be a paper weight that looks nice. ;)

mievil
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/70_9/c6-mid-length-coyote-brown-m4-style-handguards.cfm

gungrave
09-25-2008, 1:22 PM
i got one more question...if i was to get this handguard and i wanted to paint the handguard to black color what spray paint do u recommend in painting this handguard??thanks for the link....

NiteQwill
09-25-2008, 1:32 PM
i got one more question...if i was to get this handguard and i wanted to paint the handguard to black color what spray paint do u recommend in painting this handguard??thanks for the link....

I would use duracoat for durability. If you wanna go cheap, maybe engine paint?

aplinker
09-25-2008, 7:10 PM
I would just use krylon. It will scratch up but it is just a handguard so you can pull and paint again

Donut
09-25-2008, 8:18 PM
It's either Krylon or Rustoleum that has a rattle-can specifically for plastics. It claims to be it's own primer or some such nonsense.

I don't usually buy into marketing, but it's only like a buck more than regular spray paint at Home Depot, so that's what I'll be using on mine.

ar15barrels
09-25-2008, 9:08 PM
It's called Krylon Fusion.

Donut
09-25-2008, 9:37 PM
It's called Krylon Fusion.

That's the stuff! Thanks Randall.

Now for the $64,000 question: Have you ever used it? How well does it work?

ar15barrels
09-25-2008, 9:56 PM
Have you ever used it? How well does it work?

I have had parts through my shop that had it on them, but I have never used it.
It comes off with brake cleaner and probably other gun cleaning solvents and oils.
If I need something colored, I send it out for duracoat.

mievil
09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Got my handguards in today. Now I get to wait until tomorrow to actually get the upper in and put the whole thing together. Did you get your's Donut?

Donut
09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I have had parts through my shop that had it on them, but I have never used it.
It comes off with brake cleaner and probably other gun cleaning solvents and oils.
If I need something colored, I send it out for duracoat.

Send it out? Is it possible to spray it yourself? I just found my brand spanking new Harbor Freight airbrush kit that I bought seven or eight months ago and forgot about under the passenger seat of my car. :p

Got my handguards in today. Now I get to wait until tomorrow to actually get the upper in and put the whole thing together. Did you get your's Donut?

I thought we ordered them at the same time? UPS says mine will be here on Monday. WTF?

Hey, wanna go in on some Duracoat?

ar15barrels
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Send it out? Is it possible to spray it yourself? I just found my brand spanking new Harbor Freight airbrush kit that I bought seven or eight months ago and forgot about under the passenger seat of my car. :p

I'm sure it's possible.
I'm just not patient enough to do the prep work, mix the duracoat up and then do all the cleanup afterwards.
I send it to a guy that does it all the time.
I find that you usually get better results when you pay a professional.

I'm sure I could get all setup to do duracoat if I wanted to, but I just don't care for that kind of work.

mievil
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
I think I ordered mine the night prior to you. Mine probably got processed first thing in the morning, and yours later that day pushing it out over the weekend. But I suppose that leaves tomorrow questionable. Dunno. Paperwork shows my order officially placed on the 23rd. And it was shipped USPS Priority. Maybe because you ordered multiples they couldn't stuff them all in the same box with USPS.