PDA

View Full Version : Curious about selling my rifle

NuGunner
09-22-2008, 7:11 PM
delete

EBR Works
09-22-2008, 7:26 PM
Person to person transfer of C&R long guns is a cash & carry transaction in Cali. The buyer must not be prohibited from owning firearms, must be a California resident and an adult.

If someone buys from an FFL01 dealer in California, the rifle is subject to dros.

No records are kept of long gun purchases in California so it's not "in your name".

Someone here can point you to the PC on this. This is the basic guidline:

Within California, non dealers, which includes private parties with or without a Class 03 (C&R) FFL license, can sell each other any rifle that cannot be readily concealed on the person that is a federally defined C&R more than 50 years old (except to minors, drug addicts and those with felony or certain misdemeanor criminal records).

I sold a 1945 Mosin 91/30 at the gun show last month. The guy was an old Russian gentleman who lived locally. I asked to see his drivers license, had him sign a statement that he was not prohibited from firearms ownership, took his money, handed him his new purchase and we went our separate ways.

Since I'm an FFL03 holder I also had him fill out and sign my bound book.

nobs11
09-22-2008, 7:29 PM
Cash and carry to a non prohibited CA resident. Just to be safe I'd ask for a copy of the buyer's license with sensitive details crossed out (DL#, address).

I'm not sure how many transactions you are limited to. You can't make a business out of it.

oldschool88
09-22-2008, 8:18 PM
Ive never sold or bought from a private party so feel free to yell, but i didnt know you could just "cash and carry" i figured there was a ten day wait like any other sale. Is there any type of paperwork that needs to be filed?

AdamM
09-22-2008, 8:20 PM
Ive never sold or bought from a private party so feel free to yell, but i didnt know you could just "cash and carry" i figured there was a ten day wait like any other sale. Is there any type of paperwork that needs to be filed?

Not if its C&R

nobs11
09-22-2008, 8:29 PM
Not if its C&R

and > 50 years I think. Not on C&Rs less than 50 years (like a special one of a kind edition gun. That still needs to go thru a dealer).

oldschool88
09-22-2008, 8:38 PM
Good to know thank you.

AdamM
09-22-2008, 8:38 PM
and > 50 years I think. Not on C&Rs less than 50 years (like a special one of a kind edition gun. That still needs to go thru a dealer).

Good point. I forgot to add that part. Thanks for the correction :)