PDA

View Full Version : Lefty looking to assemble first ar15

jbmw12
09-22-2008, 6:46 PM
hi everyone,

this is my first post but have done lots of reading on this site.
im looking to assemble my first ar. i am left handed and my question is..is it really worth it to go with a lefty ar upper. do any of you lefties have problems shooting a standard? it seems that there arent many options to choose from and they are more expensive. will i be better off sticking with the a standard setup? ive read that i might run into a lot of flying brass by my face or down my shirt. is this true? if so is there anything i can do to a standard to prevent that from happening?

all advice would be greatly appreciated as i would like to go the correct route the first time.

thanks

Fjold
09-22-2008, 7:04 PM
Almost all the right handed AR uppers have the case deflector built in and I've never been hit by any brass shooting my right handed ARs (I'm a lefty also)

The left handed Stag upper will cost you about $50 more than a righty. The MMG equipped rifle below is a lefty Stag

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/EBRFamily.jpg

tankerman
09-22-2008, 7:12 PM
Just buy a right handed AR-15, save the extra money for nice L/H bolt guns.

What Just Happened?
09-22-2008, 7:14 PM
I'm a right-hander, but am left-eye dominant. Because of this, I shoot longguns southpaw. I've not had much of a problem with shooting this way. The only thing that bothers me is that I have to watch my right hand and stay clear of the ejection port.

Saigon1965
09-22-2008, 7:15 PM
I shoot lefty - No problems for me. Especially ever since they added the big ole brass deflector on all uppers now.

TZL
09-22-2008, 7:46 PM
I'm right handed, but shoot long-guns left handed b/c I'm left eye dominant.

I have no problems with a RH AR-15, all the cases ejected nicely forward, never causing a problem

Now I've had some problems with shooting full auto AK's, those spit cases everywhere, including a nice hot piece of brass at my forehead once....luckily we don't have full auto AK problems in CA :D

JTecalo
09-22-2008, 7:53 PM
I'm left handed but right eye dominant, I don't have a problem with my mini-14.

The 10 days isn't up on my ar yet, but I think it'll be the same.

Jim

jbmw12
09-22-2008, 8:29 PM
thanks for all the info guys!
i guess ill just go with the standard righty...maybe i can even practice shooting right handed hehehe

looking foward to my first ar!

RaceDay
09-22-2008, 9:58 PM
I've wanted to get a lefty upper but instead own 2 righty uppers and have had no problem.

I've had some issues with 10/22 and a M1 carbine hitting me with brass but neither AR upper has given me trouble.

localguy
09-22-2008, 11:57 PM
I am a righthanded shooter who's left-eye dominant, and I shoot with righty uppers with no problem whatsoever.

soopafly
09-23-2008, 12:32 AM
im looking to assemble my first ar. i am left handed
I don't know what your budget is, but Noveske makes top tier AR rifles and you can get lefty versions here:
http://www.lefthandrifles.com/ar/

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2008, 5:34 AM
As a lefty, I have to say that it's better to adapt to a RH upper than only being familiar with a LH one. You never know when you may need to use someone's RH upper so, you should be used to them.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-23-2008, 8:50 AM
I is a Lefty as well shoot righty guns... I WILL admit I trim 1-2 coils off of my ejector springs to have my brass tossed to 1-2 O'clock (mostly on my competition guns) but no problem on my 'blaster' OLL's shooting Lefty... as the others have said.. get the righty and use the $$ saved for ammo.

Ballistic043
09-23-2008, 9:21 AM
i have built both stag 2h and 2hl model rifles respectively. i really could care less. on the right hand model, it is easier to hit some of the controls, and for a lefty it also means brass doesnt eject across your face. but overall, i just prefer the normal style of an old fashioned right handed AR.

IMO, a LH is kind of pointless since all of the other parts stay on the normal side anyways. so it just becomes more confusing than anything

Darklyte27
09-23-2008, 9:46 AM
issued a righty in the Marines. shot just fine. I bought a lefty now though because im a lefty. yes its 50$ more.