PDA

View Full Version : Best .22lr plinking ammo

Dirtbiker
09-22-2008, 2:06 PM
Sound off fellas.

I've heard some can be dirty and clog up the works.

I have always had good luck in the past with CCI mini-mags.

FEMUN
09-22-2008, 2:51 PM
I only use CCI mini-mags or american eagles.

Timberwolf
09-22-2008, 2:55 PM
The best 22LR plinking ammo is generally the cheapest ammo your rifle will shoot accurately. Sounds like an avoidance of the question, maybe but a true statement none the less.

Every small bore rifle shoots differently with different ammo, even the same make and model of rifle shoot differently. Try several brands and see what works for you.

valleyguy
09-22-2008, 3:08 PM
Fiocci. Not a single misfire or failure to eject after 800 rounds in my 10/22, and Turners has it for $23. That's only a couple of dollars more a brick than much cheaper and trouble-prone ammo like Federal and Winchester Xpert Hollow Points.

What Just Happened?
09-22-2008, 3:10 PM
Fiocchi and the CCI Mini-Mags were the stuff that would feed, extract, and shoot reliably in my old Sig Mosquito. The Fiocchi high-powered stuff was consistently 'high-powered' and reliably ran through my Sig.

Both stuff gave me great results. I never tried any of the higher quality stuff, so I can't compare.

studiojon
09-22-2008, 3:35 PM
I use federal bulk packs for cheap and CCI mini mags .. and for variety I shoot Aguila, from hyper velocity to subsonic sniper stuff it makes it that much more enjoyable :chris: and all the brands listed cycle my Walther P22 and my Ciener kit of course it gets dirty pretty quickly no matter what

NeoWeird
09-22-2008, 3:51 PM
As said it changes from gun to gun.

Consistantly, Remington Golden Bullet (the ones that come in the 525 pack, not the other ones) shoots the best for me. I've had problems with every other type except CCI. Aguila is hands down the dirtiest, smelliest, and most inconsistant ammo I've ever seen plus it's the only manufacturer to ever give me case head sepperations and it's given me several. Fiochi is a close second as the misfire king - though this may be more to a thicker rim and me using a light firing pin and hammer spring.

All in all, Remington stuff is my person favorite. Golden Bullet for plinking, Sub-sonics when I need the lower speed, and Yellow Jackets for when I really want to be sizzling.

gcvt
09-22-2008, 4:00 PM
I use the the bulk Federal stuff from Big 5, but that's just because that's what my 10/22 prefers. It doesn't do so well with the Winchester stuff.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2008, 4:24 PM
The best 22LR plinking ammo is generally the cheapest ammo your rifle will shoot accurately. Sounds like an avoidance of the question, maybe but a true statement none the less.

Every small bore rifle shoots differently with different ammo, even the same make and model of rifle shoot differently. Try several brands and see what works for you.

This is the best advice!

I've had great luck with very cheap ammo in some guns. I've also had a very dangerous ruptured case in a bolt action while shooting Elley (left over from the USA shooting team's inventory for the '84 Olympics) once. No matter what kind of ammo or how much you spend on it, it might or might not work well in your gun. You really need to experiment to find out what works and groups best.

inkedshooter
09-22-2008, 4:35 PM
Have had problems with Remington bulk pack no so bad with Federal. The best ammo you can get is if someone just gives it to you...can't beat free ammo...

heroimprisoned
09-22-2008, 4:40 PM
My 10/22 loves CCI MiniMag. The Winchester Xpert is god-awful, but the Super X works much better. I much prefer the CCI, though. Those are all I've shot, so I'll have to try some of the other suggestions in here.

bigthaiboy
09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
I can't get any of my semi autos to cycle reliable, or sometimes at all with Winchester X-Pert. Bolt action ammo as far as I'm concerned. Remington Golden Bullet HPs ($13 a brick at Walmart) has proved to be the best for my rifles, but tends to be a little dirty, but that really isn't that bigger deal.

gunn
09-23-2008, 9:53 AM
I'm a big fan of the Federal Bulk Pack from Walmart -- even though the price went up >10% recently (11.97 to 13.24).

I shot a box of Remington golden bullets once and was surprised at how much crap is in the bulk pack (shavings, etc). The bullets appeared to leave the receivers dirtier as well (although this could just have been my bias).

-g

IceMan711
09-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I plink with the Federal Champion 745. It's the blue box with the 525 round count. Function great and is accurate enough out of my 10/22's and Neos. Widely available, but increasingly more expensive.

I consider the mini mag's my "good" rimfire ammo. Very consistent ammo for the price. I love the 36gr hollow points.

SVRider
09-23-2008, 12:36 PM
What kind of experience have people been having with the Federal Classic 510's?

They were less than $13/brick, but now have gone up to about $15. Still not bad in the grand scheme of things. I've bought some, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet....

soopafly
09-23-2008, 1:01 PM

QFT...depends on specific gun/ammo combo

NotSoFast
09-23-2008, 2:33 PM
+10 :yes:

c good
09-23-2008, 5:43 PM
Federal Bulk from Wally World as mentioned above seems to be pretty reliable and consistent lately. For my nicer .22's pistols (ie Browning Buckmark, Beretta 21, Colt Woodsman) I use the Winchester Super X, copper washed, round nose, 40gr, X22LR. It's a little pricey at $23.00 a brick of 500 but it's worth it. HTH c good

RaceDay
09-23-2008, 5:48 PM
Federal Bulk pack for me. Like Timberwolf said, whatever is the cheapest bulk pack that works reliably (or close to reliably) in your gun is the best plinking ammo.

CCI Mini-Mags have the reputation for getting any gun to work. That isn't the question you asked but if there was a "best reliable 22lr ammo" question then I'd suggest the mini-mags.

mister dize
09-23-2008, 6:07 PM
Winchester Wildcat 22

Feeds great in my 10/22 and I have ~3,000 rounds sitting around.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-23-2008, 6:16 PM
CCI Blazer is the cheapest.

motorhead
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
wally world federal is the cheapest i've found. op said plinking so good doesn't enter the picture. cycles in my 10/22. had 1 bad lot, misfire every 10 or so. never happened again. for plinking, whatever reliably feeds in your gun.